Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A mess on the freeway please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 PM
derichio02

Default A mess on the freeway please help

Hey all
I just bought a 2010 Mustang V6. I am a former Volkswagen owner so I need a little help/advice. I was on the freeway yesterday and i came around the corner of a mountain and I ran over what seemed to be a can or a rock(mini-boulder) or something, it kind of took me by surprise. Well to make a long story short my underbody cover was thrashed and I had to take it off, also there was a green substance that seemed to be splashed under the bottom of my car. My radiator and tranny oil cooler both got small dings on the bottom. so here are my questions:

1. Will removing the underbody engine cover cause any problems(overheating etc) I have to order and pay for the part it might take a few weeks.

2. Also will the dings in my radiator and tranny oil cooler cause any adverse effects. I plan to change them but I just bought my car two weeks ago and am getting ready for my downpayment.

3. What could possibly be all over my car? I know the coolant is yellow/orange-ish, and its not oil. What could this green substance be? Is it tranny fluid? is mercon v red? or is it just part of whatever I ran over
Old 02-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

Most underbody covers are for that .10 extra mpg. I wouldn't sweat it for a few days. The green stuff? If I find a fluid coming from under the car, I'm old school, I dip my finger in it and look at it, rub it around, smell it, etc.

Run the car through the do-it yourself wash, and spray out the underside to look for any thing that may be leaking from the damage.
If your insurance deductable is low, take it to a body shop for an estimate, and let the insurance cover it.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:51 AM
CB617
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about that

What sam said, I wouldn't worry about running without the cover for a bit. The only green car fluid I am aware of is coolant. Since yours is orange maybe its not from your car. Wash it off as sam said run it for a bit and look for leaks.

The dented parts, if slightly dented should not hurt unless they start to leak. A trans cooler leak goes bad fast. Maybe check with insurance.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:38 AM
derichio02

Thanks for the quick replies.

My insurance deductible is 500 so after researching the parts on motorcraft.com its about the same either was. $136 for the underbody cover, 199 for the tranny oil cooler. The thing is I want to do it my self, thats how I learn. I did check out the fluid under the car. It was green in color to gooey to be antifreeze and my resevoir is the yellow/orange antifreeze. then I thought oh it may be tranny fluid. All tranny fluids i have ever seen are red. Isnt Mercon V red? I am gonna wash it today to clean it out and see if there is a leak over the next day or so. Also if this is tranny fluid, which I dont think it is, is there any type of warning given on the dash if the fluid is low? Also what are the noticible effects if my tranny cooler goes bad?

Thanks again
Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Sounds like whatever you ran over (you said possibly a can) may be the culprit for the sticky green stuff. As stated, wash that baby down and check for leaks...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 PM
carfixer100

The green stuff is most likely A/C compressor oil. You punctured your condenser and it leaked out the refrigerant and compressor oil. Turn on your A/C and see if the compressor kicks on.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:39 PM
derichio02

Okay so I think I am confused! Where in the bay is my tranny cooler, and where is the AC condensor. Is the AC condensor a smaller radiator-looking part that resides in front of the radiator? If so then where is the tranny cooler?

Again thanks guys sorry i'm a noob at american cars, I searched for a diagram and I cant find one.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:16 AM
derichio02

Ok I got everything worked out. I washed my car and drove it for a day, threw it up on a jack, located all parts and yes my ac condenser has a hairline crack and all my refrigerant has leaked out... Ac compressor doesnt even kick on. Thanks to all that replied. Now all I need is a write-up or DIY for the condenser and a new condenser of course.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Warranty won't cover it? Or insurance? I generally stay away from HVAC repairs...
Old 02-28-2010, 12:33 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

I suggest you take it to a shop or the dealer. The system will need to be refilled with the correct amount of AC oil and the system recharged anyway. You could probably save a few bucks swapping out the condenser yourself but it's probably not worth it. If there is s leak, you'll be responsible for it and not the person who does the recharge.

Quick Reply: A mess on the freeway please help