Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 GT vs 2005 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I gotta say, while in the garage yesterday, the stock sound of an '01 new edge was pretty sick. Has a real deep power rumble.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

the blue book value on my '08 is only $16k..... so i'm sure you can find an '05 for even less. Just gotta look harder. And don't forget just cuz it says "$18k" doesn't mean you have to pay that much. Make them an offer and see if they take it. If they say no... well then nothing has changed. *shrugs*
Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

I think in order to REALLY decide, youre going to have to drive the two to compare. Ive only ever driven, or even ridden in a S197, so I cant compare the drive to the older cars. If price is your MAIN concern, and your main goal is to own a Mustang, regardless of year, Id go with the older style. I had zero desire to own a mustang until the s197 came out, because I thought every mustang made after 1970 was ugly.... but lately Ive been looking at new edges with a new respect.

Do you happen to know if insurance is less on a new edge than on a S197?

Are you after a hardtop, convertible, manual, auto, etc? They made a TON of mustangs, so finding one wont be that hard. Id suggest you just get out there and start test driving them. I drove several cars before I found mine. And when you DO find the right car for you, you will know it. Cars choose their owners, lol

The one time I sat in a new ege, was when I was test driving an 08 bullitt. The salesman suggested we stop by his bro-inlaws house to compare his 01 bullitt to the knew one. Going from sitting in the 08, to the 01, I honestly believe the 01 has the nicer and more comfortable interior,

The nicest new edges Ive seen are the dark blue ones (with bullitt wheels), and I saw a REALLY clean red 'vert with a cream top and interior. Gorgeous car. Find one like that, lol

Good luck in your quest, and try REALLY hard not to wrap it around a pole... You will be sad... Or dead... Or both.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:01 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Matafy, for what it's worth, I was 18 when I purchased my 05 GT, I got it off eBay for $14,900 with about 60K on the odometer. That was in.. Early June, I believe. It's very possible to find an S197 for less than that, especially if you can hold off for a bit; The prices for 4.6L GT's are more than likely to drop considerably.

Of course, like everyone else has said, it's best to just drive the two around, get a feel for both of them. Regardless of which model you go with, you'll love every second of it, driving the car off the lot is a truly indescribable feeling.

Eric
Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 PM
SkillzDatKillz
Mista High School Playa

Originally Posted by 05gtdriver
Hey, he's here to learn, I feel privileged to help a youngster out(as least I can try-lol). Mafaty, to be honest, I think an older GT('99-'04) would be a great platform for you to "wean" yourself to Mustang power. The New Edge Mustangs(as they're referred to by their body design) have many, many variations that you can choose from and be happy. A 3.73 or 4.10 geared CAI'd, exhaust upgraded, 5 speed '99-'04 GT can show it's tail lights to a stock '05+ GT. The only downside is finding a "clean" non-abused example for a decent price as the newest cars will be 6 years old and the older Mustang's interior seem to wear faster than the newer cars. If you can find a nice one though, it would make a great first Mustang IMO. Although the newer cars are smoother driving and have a much better platform to modify for handling super great, the New Edge isn't as far back as you'd think. The parts for it are much, much cheaper(check out any dedicated Mustang magazine and you'll get an idea of how easily you can modify the older cars and for cheap). The New Edges have to be the best used car bang for the buck out there IMO.
Umm..LS1 F-body and 5.0 Fox body come to mind.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 PM
SkillzDatKillz
Mista High School Playa

Originally Posted by Matafy
You want to lend me $8,000? Lol
You can find an 05-06 GT for cheaper than 18k..easy..
Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Op, here's my take...price aside. My bro has a 06 gt manual, dad has a 06 gt auto, and i have a 04 gt manual, and i've spent many hours driving and racing all of them.

Stock for stock, and mod for mod, my all of our cars are a drivers race in a straight line. In the turns the S197 model is definitely better. Looks are a matter of opinion. I personally think the new edge looks a little meaner, but the S197 is just classically gorgeous in it's own right. I will say the new edge sounds much better. My bro has tried 9 different exhaust combos (i know it's a little ridiculous lol) and it just can't compare to mine. I have mixed feelings on the interior. The new edge has more functional, and easier to read gauges, but it simply doesn't look as cool. The shifter is much better in the new edge, except for it's location.

That's all i can think of at the moment.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

The 2Vs do sound pretty great. But with the right combo the 3V can sound pretty awesome too.

Your bro needs to throw some cams on his mustang instead of wasting so much on exhaust. Then he'll be happy with the sound lol.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by acarzt
The 2Vs do sound pretty great. But with the right combo the 3V can sound pretty awesome too.

Your bro needs to throw some cams on his mustang instead of wasting so much on exhaust. Then he'll be happy with the sound lol.
Actually, he threw in some Comp Thumpers a while back, and was still playing with his exhaust lol.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

Cost may be one factor for you. However what sold me was the interior room in the S197. I originally was looking at the New Edge. However coming from a Fox perspective, the New Edges always felt cramped.

The first time I sat in and drove a S197, I knew it was the route to go for me. The interior fit me better than the New Edge. The room reminded more of my 89 5.0.

Quick Reply: 2004 GT vs 2005 GT