Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

good luck finding a spoiler delete trunk in your color. i have been looking for 2 years. i used small carriage bolts and painted the top of the heads to match. came out great. carriage bolts work much better then plastic plugs, they head design is much more streamline. i will post up a picture in a bit to show you.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:29 AM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

They actually said, why would you do that? The spoiler looks great. Now, I'm second guessing myself...again.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:16 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

here are 2 pics. eventually i will get the holes filled.
Attached Thumbnails Spoiler Delete?-img00031-20100307-1003.jpg   Spoiler Delete?-img00032-20100307-1004.jpg  
Old 03-07-2010, 09:21 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcstang
They actually said, why would you do that? The spoiler looks great. Now, I'm second guessing myself...again.
I think the spoiler delete looks the best! Don't let other people change your mind; it's your car.

I went to great lengths to find a new '08 GT Premium loaded the way I wanted with the 13D spoiler delete option. But I could not find one and needed to buy a Mustang quick to take advantage of X-Plan pricing and then-current rebates/financing (back during the $4+ per gallon gas crisis).

I really did not like the pedistal spoiler, so I purchased a GT500 spoiler from The Spoiler Store for $120 delivered (a lot less than having the trunk filled and painted). I really like the look, but not as much as spoiler delete!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:47 AM
nottey4.6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by StickShifty
good luck finding a spoiler delete trunk in your color. i have been looking for 2 years. i used small carriage bolts and painted the top of the heads to match. came out great. carriage bolts work much better then plastic plugs, they head design is much more streamline. i will post up a picture in a bit to show you.
Do you have any idea what bolts you used exactly? Sounds like a good sunday project! Plus its supposed to be 62F.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Art161
I'm leery of plugs. Sure, a body shop can put them in and do a paint job so that everything looks perfect--now. I wonder what happens after a few years. Do the plugs expand or contract so that the paint shows defects in that area? Where are you, Pascal?
Been busy. It's Bike Week and I'm having a bal...

Anyways, plugs are a nono. Painted or not, doesn't look right.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:49 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nottey4.6
Do you have any idea what bolts you used exactly? Sounds like a good sunday project! Plus its supposed to be 62F.
ahhh just a regular carriage bolt. any home depot or home store will have them

something like this:

i was quoted 400 bucks to fill the holes, and paint between the lights flat black. i will prob do it sometime this summer. but this def works for now.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:36 PM
ReverseTime
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmose77
Not a fan of the plugs or carbon fiber and I have had no luck in finding a spoiler delete trunk. I am probably going to buy one with the holes and have them filled and painted. I am good with the mechanical side but when it comes to body work I am lost. I was hoping to get some opinions on how good it will look after being filled and painted maybe Pascal will chime in.
Just had this done myself.

No real closeups right now. Aside from the hackjob "detailer" utterly destroying the back half of my car with swirls and holograms the work was pretty good. We decided on plates to cover the holes from inside the trunk lid welded in place then filled from on top. Inside the lid is covered anyway, but I had them spray it the same factory matte finish so it wouldn't look out of place.

Had the GT500 spoiler before, to me this looks 10x better.

Woot first post!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:39 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ReverseTime

No real closeups right now. Aside from the hackjob "detailer" utterly destroying the back half of my car with swirls and holograms the work was pretty good. We decided on plates to cover the holes from inside the trunk lid welded in place then filled from on top. Inside the lid is covered anyway, but I had them spray it the same factory matte finish so it wouldn't look out of place.

Woot first post!
First post and picture *****!!!

lol, JK. Looks great.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:17 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ReverseTime

Woot first post!

bullitt grille and spoiler delete, best combo around. more and more are catching on to our clean look. LESS IS MORE. beautiful car BTW

Last edited by StickShifty; 03-07-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Delete?