Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood scoop install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:41 PM
RichieCal
2nd Gear Member

Default Hood scoop install

I just bought a used stock hood scoop,all 4 screws & bolts are there and the " christmas tree" pins as I've heard them refered too are there..obviously no templete supplied..I've read that if you take off the hood insulation the markings for the holes are there, but that isn't my question..what size drill bit do you use for the holes?..I'm gonna put the tip of the bit against the bottom of the screws to figure that part out, but what about the pins?..I may just take off the pins and use all screws to secure it
Old 03-07-2010, 06:03 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

You don't necessarily have to drill. You can easily attach a hood scoop with enough 3M automotive double sided tape. Other body panels and aftermarket kits are attached using 3M. I'm about to install side scoops which attach with only 3M tape. I'm not worried about them holding up at all...even with all that wind whipping around the side of the car. You might want to go that route.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 PM
WVPony

I see it's been an month since your post, RichieCal. Did you install w/o the screws? I have one that I've been wanting to put on too, but drilling the hoods gives me the jitters. It came with tape on it and I've been wondering if I could just tape it and not drill. I'd be interested in hearing if you did the tape-only route. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:43 PM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

I need to know too. I have a scoop from AmericanMuscle sitting in my garage that I haven't had the time to take to a body shop. (I ain't drilling holes in my own hood, that just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen) It has a little bit of tape on the bottom too and I could add a little more if thats all it needs to stay in place.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

The Xenon hood scoop only requires 3m tape. But, It is a little bit longer and I'm not sure about the dimensions of the opening compared to the stock scoop. I have mine bolted on, only because it's larger and I don't want it to fly off.

I'd bolt it on just to be on the safe side, but thats just me.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
RichieCal
2nd Gear Member

I brought the car to my auto body guy, and had him install it...The holes are there, so it was very easy for him. Now to answer your question, yes I did have him bolt it on. The scoop comes with them,so why take a chance with the tape only?..It looks great,and I know I'm never gonna wanna take it off,so who cares about holes! Also if your not handy, I would let a auto body guy do it
Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

Any pics? C'mon, Richie. You can't tease us like that
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deadbeat
The Xenon hood scoop only requires 3m tape. But, It is a little bit longer and I'm not sure about the dimensions of the opening compared to the stock scoop. I have mine bolted on, only because it's larger and I don't want it to fly off.

I'd bolt it on just to be on the safe side, but thats just me.
last thing you want while driving down the highway is your own hood scoop hittin' your windshield!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:11 PM
RichieCal
2nd Gear Member

Default a pic

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...stang.html...I couldn't figure out how to post a pic, lol but I did manage to put a photo in a album,that is the link
Old 05-03-2010, 03:13 PM
RichieCal
2nd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...6-mustang.html

Quick Reply: Hood scoop install