Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting 1st and reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Default shifting 1st and reverse

As its been getting warmer my tranny seems to be getting harder to shift into 1st and reverse from a stop. Reverse sometimes is impossible to get into and first requires some effort. I know these trannys are "notchy" but this is to much, any idea what could be wrong with it? It shifts PERFECT when the car is off and while the car is moving shifting into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th are all good shifts. Any ideas?

1. Engaging from a stop into first or reverse is very hard to do.
2. As I try to enter first gear the car will start to “rock or creep” forward while trying to enter the gear (with the clutch in, the clutch is not engaged).
3. Once in first gear on flat ground the car will creep forward slowly if I take my foot off the brake (the clutch pedal is up and the clutch is not engaged). I have not tried with reverse yet. When I take it out of gear and let my foot off the brake the car does not move.
4. When shifting into second sometimes the car will grind, even if the clutch is pushed in and not engaged.
5. Once the car is rolling shifting 2nd – 5th gear is like butter.
6. When the car is off all gears shift perfectly.
It seems the clutch is not fully disengaging making shifts harder while at a stop.

Last edited by Lax07; 03-10-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added the steps
Old 03-09-2010, 07:51 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

No idea. But on the way home from the golf course today where it was 72 lovely degrees :-) I was thinking how nice the car was shifting. So it seems strange that it would be worse when it's warmer.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Thats what I was thinking... and I just commented a couple months ago how nice my car shifted once it warmed up... My car was nicked today too in a parking lot (scratched paint on the front bumper). Thank god the person left a note but I doubt its from that (the car was in first gear while parked).
Old 03-09-2010, 08:22 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

I think you have to shift into two forward gears before going into R. I do it every time (3-4-R) I pull out of my garage. First may follow the same principle? Couldn't say for sure.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 PM
shnorse

same thing, it will not go in until i put it into either 3rd or 5th, then it pops right in reverse... only does it when cold though
Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

That seems strange. Mine will go into reverse every time w/o going into a forward gear. Well, I always park it in first but going from that to R is never a problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Years ago, I had a car that had bad syncros -- it had to be rolling to get into first or reverse. From a stop, I could push till the cows came home, but it wouldn't go into gear.

Regardless to the problem, what you describe cannot be normal. Make the Ford Service appointment . . .
Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Talked to my guy at the ford shop, he is a roush guy I work with. He said this is the first 2010 he has heard of having this problem... Hopefully this problem can be fixed quickly...
Old 03-10-2010, 12:28 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

I have heard of synchros getting damaged when a car is impacted in gear. Was a paint-trading enough to cause it? ...Well, probably not, but you can't rule it out. It is awfully coincidental.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

The transmission in my car has a mind of its own; some days it shifts smoothly and other days it is very clunky. Ambient air temperature doesn't seem to matter. I put RP Sychromax in it and that helped a little. Weird.

Quick Reply: shifting 1st and reverse