Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Rotation FYI....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:18 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Tire Rotation FYI....

I've been worried about rotating the tires. Think I already did one posting. Sorry.

Book says move backs to fronts, and cross fronts on the way to the backs. Not always true. My GT has Pirelli PZero Nero's. I talked to my tire shop of years, they said they are directional, and, the inside tread is not the same as the outside tread. So, they said they generally rotate tires only front to back and back to front, same side, on basically all cars. This would be the case on my GT with it's Pirelli's.

That'll make it easier for a driveway excercise!

By the way, one of the "trains of thought" on the other listing was about using the differential as a jacking point. Ford says NOT! Someone said, "well, if you get the jack beyond the sheet metal on the back of the differential, it should be OK." I think maybe not, since the sheet metal would mean the differential would be not as structurally sound as it would be with the old fashioned full metal jacket differential. Just a thought.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:16 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tire Rotation FYI....

Wrongo.
For one, no matter how you rotated those Pirellis, the outside of the tread will remain the outside tread.
What hes indicating "the inside tread is not the same as the outside tread" this would be an Asymetrical tire, not directional.
The Pirellis I believe are niether, I know thier not directional, so rotaion should be, non drive wheels cross as the go back/forward. drive wheels go straight forward/back.

Employed by goodyear last 16 years. My whole life of employment!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:28 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I agree on your first statement. Inside tread will be on the inside no matter where you rotate to. Tire guy told me they were directional. I have not seen anything on the tire yet to tell me so. I'm sure you know more about the tires than I do, or, the tire guy, most likely.

One comment the tire guy made was, as I said, they just rotate most all tires front to back. back to front. Said the cross rotational thing only had some benefit if the front tires were really screwed up.

Comments more than welcome.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:32 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Missed the part "are niether". That is incorrect. They are "asymetrical". I did find that the tread pattern is different on the "inside" of the tire vs. the side to the outside of the car. At least on the side I could get to in the garage. Parking is a little tight. I only get to see the passenger side when I pull it out of the garage. [:@]
ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Wrongo.
For one, no matter how you rotated those Pirellis, the outside of the tread will remain the outside tread.
What hes indicating "the inside tread is not the same as the outside tread" this would be an Asymetrical tire, not directional.
The Pirellis I believe are niether, I know thier not directional, so rotaion should be, non drive wheels cross as the go back/forward. drive wheels go straight forward/back.

Employed by goodyear last 16 years. My whole life of employment!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:36 AM
LIVNBIG
1st Gear Member

A lot of tire guys say front to back, back to front..usually with radials..

Anyway, here's a link that might help

http://www.innerauto.com/Automotive_...Tire_Rotation/
Old 07-29-2005, 02:43 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LIVNBIG

Thats fine, my point still stands "no matter where you rotate it, the outside is still the outside.
The only tires that should be rotated front to rear are directional tires, and or directional rims.

Also "A lot of tire guys say front to back, back to front..usually with radials.. "
This was true with bias ply tires, since the invention of radials, the crossed pattern is favored. This way the tire ends up in all positions, for a more even wear on all 4 tires.

Excerpt following RMA guidlines:

Should I rotate my tires?

Regular and proper tire rotation promotes more uniform wear for all of the tires on a vehicle. All season tires should be rotated in a "modified X" pattern, meaning only the tires being moved to the drive axle are crossed to the opposite side of the vehicle.

The remaining two tires are moved from the drive axle to the free rolling axle, remaining on the same side of the vehicle.

This method of rotation helps promote a more even and uniform treadwear pattern for all four tires.

The only exception to this would be the use of "directional" tread design tires

Also want to add Pirellis recommendations

Old 07-29-2005, 03:36 AM
LIVNBIG
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

ORIGINAL: LIVNBIG

Thats fine, my point still stands "no matter where you rotate it, the outside is still the outside.
The only tires that should be rotated front to rear are directional tires, and or directional rims.

Also "A lot of tire guys say front to back, back to front..usually with radials.. "
This was true with bias ply tires, since the invention of radials, the crossed pattern is favored. This way the tire ends up in all positions, for a more even wear on all 4 tires.

Excerpt following RMA guidlines:

Should I rotate my tires?

Regular and proper tire rotation promotes more uniform wear for all of the tires on a vehicle. All season tires should be rotated in a "modified X" pattern, meaning only the tires being moved to the drive axle are crossed to the opposite side of the vehicle.

The remaining two tires are moved from the drive axle to the free rolling axle, remaining on the same side of the vehicle.

This method of rotation helps promote a more even and uniform treadwear pattern for all four tires.

The only exception to this would be the use of "directional" tread design tires

Also want to add Pirellis recommendations

That's Pirelli's recommendation for THEIR tires, and that's all good..

and back to front, front to back applied to RADIALS back in the day...

I think the link I provided is appropo...
Old 07-29-2005, 03:49 AM
LIVNBIG
1st Gear Member

Stoenr....nice T-Bird by the way..I have a 93 I use as a commuter!!

Old 07-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Thanks. Next picture you see will probly have a for sale sign in it!
Nice stang, I hope to have one someday, lol. Wish you were closer so I could see that roof in person. Pics just dont do it ya know
Old 07-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I've always rotated front to back then cross rotated every other time. That is until I got my directional BFG tires. Now I can only rotate front to back. Depends on the tire.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation FYI....