Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H Pipe HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

I'd like to add that you should strongly consider having the H pipe welded once you get it on. The supplied clamp rarely keep it from leaking. Exhaust leaks won't harm the car, but it is quite annoying.

Also, put some anti-seize on the exhaust manifold bolts when you install the Hpipe.....makes removing it MUCH easier in the future.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:53 PM
ploe

my previous '08 did not have hangers either. i thought it was odd. i'm interested if you ever found them.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:44 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I bought anit-seize lube and red locktite. I checked once more before I took the car off the stands and I didnt find anything. But from what everyone said they're there so I will post up pics either way. Either I'm an idiot and just didnt see them or the 09's dont have them. Oh and I was able to break one side lose but not the other. It will be easier on the lift as I will have more room and better leverage.

On a different note, when I put my battery back in I got a TPMS sensor error, any clue how to fix that?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:44 PM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

he may be correct on the lack of hangers. i know when i was having problems with mine making noise, i was told there is a tsb put out by shelby/ford to just simply cut the hangers at the crossmember. perhaps by 08-09 they fixed it and just didnt put them on at all?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:55 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

The hardest part of my install under the car in my garage was the bolts on the stock manifolds. A swivel ratchet and a good extension will work after a soak in penetrating oil. I wouldn't worry too much about that code until after you get this h installed. Also, did your brenspeed tune you got a while back get updated for free for the o/r h you got from them? I'm assuming they already had the o2's off for the tune you got anyway?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I believe that there are no hangers on the stock h-pipe, mine only had one hanger on the passenger side. On my x-pipe I had to cut off the drivers side hanger so it didn't rattle, but I'd install yours first and see if it gets in the way at all. If it is fine, then leave the hangers there.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brad281
The hardest part of my install under the car in my garage was the bolts on the stock manifolds. A swivel ratchet and a good extension will work after a soak in penetrating oil. I wouldn't worry too much about that code until after you get this h installed. Also, did your brenspeed tune you got a while back get updated for free for the o/r h you got from them? I'm assuming they already had the o2's off for the tune you got anyway?
I contacted brenspeed and they said that the O2 sensors should be off already but if they were not for some reason they would take care of it. Other than the O2 sensors I didn't think a tune was needed.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
SpeedingBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Smile

Hi, Just so you dont feel bad, Ive got an 09 bullitt and i changed out the H for an X and the H didnt have any hangers. Its no big deal as the pipes pretty much fit up into the space provided. I thought that was pretty cheap though.The X pipe had hangers That I eventually cut off cause they didnt have anything to connect to.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:02 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Yeah when I get the stockers off if there are really no hangers I'm going to cut off the hangers on the new pipe. As another poster said there was a TSB on the hangers making a rattleing noise on the 08 GT so maybe that was Fords way of solving the problem.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:15 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Ok I finally got my car on a lift and installed the H Pipe. Here are my opinions.

First off the stock is very easy to take off with a lift and an impact wrench. The Pypes H fit ok I guess. It was pretty easy to get in position because it was in 4 pieces. The only thing I still need to do is get the H welded. I used an impact wrench to tighten down the U-Clamp provided to connect the H and there is no way to get it to seal without leaking, NO WAY. I am getting the entire pipe welded so that it is a one piece just like the stock pipe. I am not welding it to the headers or to the mid pipe. All in all it was a pretty easy install with the proper tools and the sound is AMAZING!!! I will post a video when I can get one.

Finally, the stock H pipe DOES NOT have any hangers on it at all. It is held in place by the header bolts and the mid pipe clamp and thats it. That is one of the reasons I'm having the entire pipe welded up and I will cut off the hangers. So in conclusion I would recommend the Pypes H. It was easy to install with a lift and impact wrench and the fit was Ok I guess. But remember you WILL have to have it welded to prevent leaks.

Ok so now my questions. Do I need to put the stock H back on for any warranty work at the dealer? Even of the warranty issue is not an exhaust issue? And is the Pypes H true stainless steel? I was told by a friend of mine that if it is ture stainless it has to be welded a certain way. If it is stainless coated he could weld it with a torch. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for the replies, pics and video coming soon.

Quick Reply: H Pipe HELP!!!!!