Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Default Should I be worried?

My Mustang has 9800 miles on it currently. It went in on Thursday with these problems:
1. Engaging from a stop into first or reverse is very hard to do.
2. As I try to enter first gear the car will start to “rock or creep” forward while trying to enter the gear (with the clutch in, the clutch is not engaged).
3. Once in first gear on flat ground the car will creep forward slowly if I take my foot off the brake (the clutch pedal is up and the clutch is not engaged). I have not tried with reverse yet. When I take it out of gear and let my foot off the brake the car does not move.
4. When shifting into second sometimes the car will grind, even if the clutch is pushed in and not engaged.
5. Once the car is rolling shifting 2nd – 5th gear is like butter.
6. When the car is off all gears shift perfectly.
It seems the clutch is not fully disengaging making shifts harder while at a stop.

The replaced first some basic parts that they saw on with the hydraulic system. They then replaced the entire clutch assembly including the master cylinder. They now are all scratching their heads wonder what is wrong with the car. They are in contact with Ford. Tomorrow they are pulling the transmission to look at the slave cylinder and the internals. Should I be worried its getting this point? Should I dare to say it may be a lemon? These guys are great and have brought their head technician, ford, and the location manager into this. I'm just beginning to become worried that this may not be to be fixed.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Come on dude. A bad tranny does not a lemon make! You'll be up and running in no time.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
Come on dude. A bad tranny does not a lemon make! You'll be up and running in no time.
three unsuccessful attempts to fix an issues makes it a lemon.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Just to give an update

They took apart my transmission today and the slave cylinder fell apart. So that seems to be what the problem was, so they are replacing basically everything in there including the clutch except the gears and syncros... The downside is I have no car and they will have mine for the rest of this week maybe into next.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:02 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

That sucks .... did you buy an extended warranty? I know the Extended Warranty will supply a rental during any repairs.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Some dealers will give you a loaner car especially if you bought it from them and it is still under warranty.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Well I got the car back today. It drives amazing now, the transmission is so smooth and the clutch is even lighter than it was before it when in
Old 03-18-2010, 08:30 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

See that.. no worries!! Glad it went well for you
Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Just like I said, no big deal. Now, just remember, Clutch goes in first, then you shift gears, not the other way around.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM
blkv6
1st Gear Member

I literally had the exact same thing happen. they basically replaced everything that had to do with second gear. haven had the problem since it was fixed.

Quick Reply: Should I be worried?