Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another....Emissions Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 PM
PremiumSilver
2nd Gear Member

Question Another....Emissions Question

It's that time in Illinois. We have the OBDII and gas cap test. Right now I have cai/tuner and an o/r x pipe. I guess I was pretty stupid/uninformed thinking that an emissions friendly tune was something that could just be uploaded with my setup and I would pass. Brenspeed cleared that up for me and told me that I would "never" pass emissions with an o/r pipe on. Now there is no visual inspection and there has to be some way to pass without having to swap out the pipe right?

So, does anyone know if this will work? Can I have Brenspeed send me the emissions friendly tune, which would turn my rear 02's on while using these 02 non foulers from Brenspeed to keep from throwing a code?

http://www.brenspeed.com/730-2442.html
Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Ive wondered this my self, I live just out of the testing area. but if you have no codes I would think it should pass....
this is only my opinion! let us know how it goes.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Yes, but you will need to get a couple more non-foulers from an auto parts store.

I bought the non-foulers from Brenspeed (for an outrageous $20 price) because I was throwing a "bad cat...P430" code. The ones from Brenspeed are drilled out to fit the O2 sensors, but they do not remove the sensors from the exhaust stream enough. I bought two more sets (18mm) from an auto parts store for about $5 a set. I hooked them in this order: O2 sensor, Brenspeed non-fouler, regular non-fouler, regular non-fouler, midpipe O2 bung. I did this to both sides, and my code has not returned. I am running high-flow cats, but I imagine this would work for an offroad setup also. You might as well go ahead and buy 3 sets of non-foulers from an auto parts store and drill out one of them yourself instead of paying out the nose to Brenspeed.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 PM
PremiumSilver
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good, thanks.

Was your situation just to get rid of the code you were throwing or did you also have to pass emissions?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Think I mentioned this. Load the emissions safe tune, drive for a day or 2, if no CEL, go take the test!
I drove for weeks with no cats, and my o2's were on, no light ever.
Then I had Brenspeed send me an updated tune to turn them off just for the sake, and it was free since I bought the O/R H from them.
My original tune was from 05 for CAI only and that was before all his tunes automatically came with the o2's turned off even if it was just for a CAI.
I'd put $50 on you will pass. If you dont, Ill come help install the cats, lol.
Let us know!
When did you purchase your stang? 10/14/05 here and no notice for testing yet. Not suppose to be until it hits 4 years for new cars. Then ever other year.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

To tell you the truth, I don't know what they do with my car when it is inspected. I figured my code was going to make me fail my inspection, so I added the non-foulers to avoid having to go back to my stock H.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:05 AM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Think I mentioned this. Load the emissions safe tune, drive for a day or 2, if no CEL, go take the test!
I drove for weeks with no cats, and my o2's were on, no light ever.
Then I had Brenspeed send me an updated tune to turn them off just for the sake, and it was free since I bought the O/R H from them.
My original tune was from 05 for CAI only and that was before all his tunes automatically came with the o2's turned off even if it was just for a CAI.
I'd put $50 on you will pass. If you dont, Ill come help install the cats, lol.
Let us know!
When did you purchase your stang? 10/14/05 here and no notice for testing yet. Not suppose to be until it hits 4 years for new cars. Then ever other year.
sounds like a plan!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

Are you guys all saying that you could pass the sniffer without cats!?!?!? That is not going to happen, CEL or not your numbers for the sniffer would be way too high to pass.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 PM
PremiumSilver
2nd Gear Member

No, where I am at they don't do a sniffer test only OBDII which checks the computer for the readiness of systems. For example, if the rear O2's are turned off they will show as "not ready" and result in a failed test.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PremiumSilver
No, where I am at they don't do a sniffer test only OBDII which checks the computer for the readiness of systems. For example, if the rear O2's are turned off they will show as "not ready" and result in a failed test.
Nice!, I am jealous.

Quick Reply: Another....Emissions Question