Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those that have brought their S197's out of winter storage...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default Those that have brought their S197's out of winter storage...

... how did it go?

Both my GT and the g/f's V6 are in the Chicago area and are coming out of storage next Saturday and then I'll be taking a 12 hour drive either Sunday or Monday to bring my GT down to Mississippi where I'm on a 1-2 year assignment. I've been sitting in a hotel the past almost 2 months and finally found a place to rent that can garage both Stangs and has outside space for the boat and SUV plus room for and allows 2 dogs (I like my toys with me when on assignment).

So, with that mini-novel past, I wanted to know what to expect after the cars sat for 4 months. Both are on battery tenders, had Sta-bil in the tanks and run through the fuel systems, fresh oil before storage and were in a semi-heated enclosure (doubt they saw below freezing temps). Other than some tire thumping until they round-out after a few miles, anyone have anything else? Previously, my Stang wintered in Kentucky where I was still able to get her out at least every few weeks so she never really saw this type of "extended" (perspectively) storage.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you are ready to go Nuke!! Welcome back to the living!! We had a light winter here so I didnt have to go through a long term withdrawls...LOL
Old 03-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

Just took mine out this week, I am in upstate NY. I had the car up on wooden blocks, so no problems with the tires out of round. I also used a battery tender, stabil, and had new oil in before storage. Car runs like I never put it away. However, I am waiting for the next snow, it will go back inside before it ever sees any salt.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 AM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

Mine sat since beginning of November, no stabil, I unhook the battery, inflate tires to max, and cover it

Literally didnt see it or touch it until like a week ago. Uncovered, hooked battery up, and away we went
Old 03-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As I was hoping to hear... Just wasn't sure what to bring with me just-in-case when we go to get them at my g/f's uncle's pole barn about 1 1/4 hours away from our place.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 AM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

All I would bring is jumper cables and or a booster pack in case for some reason one of the battery tenders died
Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 AM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

i leave my battery hooked up. it always starts fine the first couple times in the spring then dies randomly, after that, one jump and its fine. done this 3 years now. all i do is put stabil in and some thick rug material under the wheels.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
All I would bring is jumper cables and or a booster pack in case for some reason one of the battery tenders died
That was already on my list but I do appreciate the suggestion.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 PM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

Both mine were garaged all winter, but driven once or twice when the roads were salt-free. I just dusted them off, & went over them with microfiber & quick detailer. Been driving them around after work every day this week. For some reason the Sirius satellite service is still active on my '09, even though I bought the car on July 3rd. I thought it was 6 months free.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:28 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I had mine in storage for the last 8 months. Did everything you did to yours, minus the battery tender. I went ahead and disconnected the battery. Came back, hooked everything up and presto...it fired up quickly. Tires lost about 5-7 PSI each while sitting there. Pumped in some fresh tire air, and took it on the highway to get rid of the flat spots...glad to report all is working good.

Quick Reply: Those that have brought their S197's out of winter storage...