Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 mustang claustrophic? Help please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: '05 mustang claustrophic? Help please...

I noticed the high hood line too... but I got used to it within minutes of driving the car.

By the way - My overall viewable experience is that the car has much bettter visibility then my BMW 325 did... Especially with the top up. that huge back window and narrow side real panels are awesome.

I love my car!
Old 07-31-2005, 10:02 PM
bluepony

i thought there was so much room for the driver and passenger especially compared to the 99-04. the only problem i had was visibility was really poor, bunch of blind spots. i remember having trouble parking at first, but i got used to it after a week or two now i think its perfect
Old 07-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Packoo

ORIGINAL: bolbo

Ok, first post, here's the situation:

I've been a passenger in an '05 vert and I have sat in an '05 coupe at a dealership. As a passenger I remember feeling that I sat very low and the hood was long. This, I hoped, would be different in the driver's seat as it is adjustable (height).

When I sat in the driver's seat at a dealership, I found that the hood being long was a little bit of an issue for me (though it looks, and the car looks great from the outside), but even worse - the view forward was a huge difference from my '98 altima.

Now, I know not to expect such a low cowl or wide view from a sports (or semi-sports) car, but where the windshield came to a stop at its highest point I found that it would perhaps take the fun out of driving this thing. It just seemed a little claustrophic, but not to a medical fault. Just enough that I worried that I would always miss a more wide open (vertically) view. Like I would miss out on sunsets or trees or something silly like that.

Of all the reviews and posts I've read of this car (and I believe I would aiming for the GT, if and when) I don't think I've heard 'anyone' address this. Is it just me? Is it because my Altima is 'so' wide open? My girlfriend reminds how I always seem to get re-adjusted to things that I never think I will, and her concern was more of the rear and side view. My concern, is more the front view...just for pleasure sake.

So, I really really would appreciate any and all posts from those that have either the gt or v6 (preferably coupe, but all welcome) and can offer some input on this. I'm sure some of you come from a school where this type of view is more normal, but I'm hoping I hear from some of you that came from something closer to my car...and how you have adjusted. Thanks much in advance....
You really shouldnt be looking at the end of the hood when driving, you should be looking down the road... This car forces you to do that....

You are describing a truck like view....

You will get used to this view...
Old 07-31-2005, 10:48 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

I never thought someone would compare my ponycar to a truck...
Old 08-01-2005, 11:09 AM
BTDstang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: orion6g

How tall are you bolbo? I'm 6'4" and love the car (seat adjusted down) and a buddy of mine that test drove it with me ~5'9" put the seat up and loved it too.
Hey orion6g,

How comfortable are you in the cockpit? I'm 6'5", and I have 06 GT on the way. I've only driven Toyota Tacoma's my whole life and I'm little concerned about my visability and comfort in the stang. I did sit in one and test drove one, but you really cant get an idea unless you drive one every day. Do you have a manual? If so, how comfortable is it for you to shift? Is it tight?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:42 PM
stangboy_05
1st Gear Member

So is the view from a Camaro drivers seat!

that was a very hard car for me to drive.i had a 94 Gt and my cuz had a new model Z28.
i didn't like the breaks or the view from the camero but i don't like the car to start with .
if you like the mustang theres nothing wrong with it, and i want the scoop on the hood as well i can see fine.the dor panels do seem high though because i sit as low as possable lol.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:17 PM
tboucher
1st Gear Member

My $0.02.

No offense to anyone who owned one but the Mid 90 and until 2005 mustangs - i despised the interior and felt cramped and clausterphobic in them every time I sat in one. Convertible or Hardtop. I had a friend that had a 96 or so, I got several 98, 99, 00, 02 rentals (both conv/hardtop) and felt like I was gonna die if I braked hard because the dash would smash me.

I don't have that feeling at all in the '05. After sitting down in it and noticing the front seemed a bit more massive than my 2-door A4 convertible I replaced it took me about 30 seconds to adjust and now I don't notice it at all. I think they've really done a good job with the layout of the interior compared to the previous generation.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Wldstng05
2nd Gear Member

You know, I haven't even paid any attention. I WAS driving a Tahoe! Someone else mentioned "looking ahead and not at the end of the hood" - that is excellent advice and something I learned when driving emergency vehicles. I am pretty aware of my surroundings - always scanning. In fact, I have avoided being hit (side and rear-ended) countless times and have never hit anyone. The ones I couldn't avoid hit ME when I was sitting still in traffic with no where to go.

I guess I don't pay attention to the "view" because everything is just a blur anyway...
Old 08-02-2005, 01:13 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

I have really not payed much attention to the hood line or how much I can see. As far as the side view and blind spots, I have not had a problem with them. They give you nice large side view mirrors and when they are adjusted right, you can see almost everything. If the blind spots are still an issue, you can always get one of those small blind spot mirrors and put it on the side view mirror.

BTW, the objects in my mirrors get smaller and smaller the longer I drive.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:42 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

I'm 6ft and I am comfortible in both the driver or passenger seat even though I notice the passenger sits lower but some of that could be designed to protect you in a crash by wrapping more metal around you. My passenger seat doesn't have a height adjust but I can see why anyone shorter than me could be uncomfortable there and not able to see over the hood. Test drove a 06 Toyota Camry Convertible. Horrible blind spots trying to back it into a parking spot WITH THE TOP DOWN!!! The mirrors don't even help. It was one big reason we walked away from that car, would be very difficult to back out of a parking spot. You sit even lower in one of those cars and the windshield was awful as the top of it came into line with my eyesite! We had a big change to get used to sitting in a Mustang because we have a Chevy Silverado long bed extended cab truck but it didn't take long to get used to it and both of us would rather drive the Mustang now! I find myself putting my hand down for the shift **** when in the truck instead of up on the steering wheel. We do have to have our seats all the way back to fit nicely in the 05 Mustang and I know we can't fit in a 04 as I sat in one on the dealers lot. We don't have kids at home anymore so having the seats way back is fine for us. I just wished the steering wheel had that back and forth adjustment and not just the up and down adjustment on ours. It is all the way up for us to keep our knees out of it when braking. Someone had a good suggestion to rent one for a week or so to make your mind up about whether you "fit" with this car before you make a big investment. If we were able to buy another car today...I'd want it to be another MUSTANG! Oh and we thought we would have to put the tiny round mirrors to help with blind spots on the Mustang but found the stock mirrors do a great job so didn't put them on.

Quick Reply: '05 mustang claustrophic? Help please...