Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:17 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

I didnt read all of this but if the parking break was properly set there is no way it would have gone that fat. On my old Z28 camaro I had a remote start and with the parking break firmly set in gear that car would at best jump a few inches and die. Its not gonna start itself and knock over a fence and drive into a god damn pound. Either the parking break wasnt fully set or it didnt work properly
Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
ummm I did have a handful of stuff today in both arms, talking to people and wanted to pop the trunk but accidentally hit the panic button. It DOES happen.

Yep. One time I had my keys in my pocket, I leaned up against the car reaching for something and the panic button was hit. Scared the crap out of me. I've also pressed it before when trying to open the trunk.

I just can't see me ever wanting a remote start since I know I will hit it several times by mistake.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i have pressed the panic button many times by accident while carrying my keys. and its always a pain cause i cant shut the damn thing off quickly
Old 03-27-2010, 08:11 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

lol nearly scared the crap outta me too. I turned it off promptly to cut the embarrassment.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:00 PM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

[quote=cummins cowboy;6906020]having a remote start on the key fob like this doesn't make much sense, what if the keys are in your pocket and you bump the button while they are in your pocket, it could start the car without you knowing it. the other thing is when I park my car I leave it in first gear with the ebrake on, thats because I have small kids around, if I didn't have small kids around I would likely just pull in the garage and leave it in first gear.quote]

I have a GM car that came with the factory-equipped remote start (It's an automatic and we only use it n the winter - INDIANA). Most remote starts require a sequence of button pushing to prevent accidentally starting the car. For ours you have to first hit the lock button, then hold down the remote start button for 3-4 seconds. I seriously doubt there is any manufacturer out there that has a remote start that could be activated in your pocket.

On another note, I saw the response from the dealership on that other site that said it was a result of unlocking the vehicle. http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/25/f...stomers-musta/ Was he perhaps mis-informed as well. The button to unlock the car on the OP's remote from the other post seems pretty clearly marked????

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 03-27-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Mustangshar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
I may be the minority, but after reading both sides of the story.. I gotta say, I agree that it is NOT the dealers fault or responsibility.

Why would you bypass th safety system on a REMOTE START in a MANUAL car. First, I wouldn't even take the chance.

But if the owner of the car installed it bypassing the safety, the E-Brake was up and the remote start button was actually the unlock button on the key-pad... then how is it their fault?

Blaming the dealership would be the same as blaming them for you messing up the install of you car stereo and it catches fire because they turned on the radio. Again, not their fault.

It would be nice if they would recognize the impact on the owner of the Mustang, and possibly offer them an incentive to purchase another car from them... but to accuse the dealership of any wrong doing I think is completely wrong.

You live and learn from your mistakes... the install of the remote start system was a mistake, and the owner will live and learn.

I have not read all the posts on this occurrance, but just reading the Dealers facts of this case, I agree this cannot be the fault of the Dealer. For one, they didn't even know this vehicle was equipped with this remote start and the installation was faulty to begin with.
The only possible way the Dealership could be responsible for the car going into the pond is if they actually DROVE it into the pond themselves. They are not liable for this.

Thats exactly why I had my remote start on my DD installed by my Ford Dealer, I want no problems and they warranty that.

Wow...what a horrible thing to happen and for what, to save a few dollars doing a poor install?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Mustangshar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
can you imagine what the guy was thinking as the car started up and took off, wonder if he thought someone was in it.
I know, right?! It was probably the Porter....can you see this kid's face?? Holy crap..LOL That would have been some site to see!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I probably wouldn't even carry my fob if the passenger side door could be opened with a key.

Picture this. You park at the far end of the parking lot with no cars around you. When you get back, someone has parked so close to the driver's side that you can't physically open the door enough to reach the door lock button. Then you need to climb into the trunk, push the rear seats forward (sure hope they are not loaded with junk or you don't have a 'vert with the top up) to get into the passenger compartment. I don't think you could get into the trunk on a 2010 model; I don't think it has a trunk that can be opened with a key.

Of course you could keep the fob in the trunk for such situations (2010 excepted), but you would have to make sure that the fob was well protected so that something else in the trunk could not hit the fob and activate a button.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Gator5220

I saw the pic of the key fob on page 5. I didn't see anything on the front of the fob indicating it's a remote start key fob, but it clearly is not a factory fob.

Is there anything at all on the back that indicates it, perhaps a sticker or something like that?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:02 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

ok....so for ****s and giggles, i decided to see what would happen if i remote started my car with it in gear

1 = i have a compustar
2 = i have the neutral start disabled
3 = probably wasn't the best for my car, but I wanted to see

What did i find out? ** IF THE EBRAKE IS SET 100% THERE IS NO WAY THE CAR CAN DRIVE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. PERIOD **

I sat in the car, hit remote start. The sucker cranked ( suprisingly forceful )car jerked with each crank of the starter but it did not start and stay running. It couldnt start and would stall out against the ebrake. HOWEVER, the compustar took it as a false start and tried again ( that kinda scared me cause the whole thing started bucking and jerking again ).

Total movement was maybe 2 feet, if that. Total horrible groaning noises = not nice.

So....i am led to believe that the dealer didn't set the ebrake on fully, and pulled it maybe 50% of the way or something.

Quick Reply: Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response