Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking Sound - Reward to 1st Reply With Solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:04 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Default Knocking Sound - Reward to 1st Reply With Solution

Totally different approach here, but I am at my wits with this knocking sound. For fun I am offering a $50 gift card of choice to the 1st person that posts the solution that fixes this. Hopefully the moderators are cool with this. I am that motivated to get this solved. No one else on here or on the net has the same problem...you'll kind of see why below. As a note, I'm aware of all the tsbs for strut mounts, etc and loose sway bar links.

Description of Problem: Knocking sound when turning left only usually going slow 10 - 25 mph. Sounds like middle or front? of right side. Sound is not present going over bumps, pot holes, speed bumps, dips, etc traveling in a straight line. Car has 165,000 miles but all parts in question are now new. SORRY FOR THE LENGTH OF THIS POST!

History:

>>> OEM struts/springs/strut mounts were replaced 2 years ago with Steeda Pro Action struts, steeda sport springs, and GT500 upper strut mounts - no noises of any kind for 2 years

>>> Mid January I had damage to the right side of the car in a parking lot - basically scraped down the rear quarter panel

>>> Ford body shop replaced the right rear quarter completely with a new quarter

>>> Picked up car and noticed knocking when turning left. Took back to collision center - they sent me to Ford - tech drove - wasn't sure what it was

>>> They never called back about further $$ from insurance to troubleshoot so I started

>>> Sway bar links are torqued perfectly - even disconnected sway bar; noise still there

>>> Replaced GT500 strut mount on right with a new GT500 strut mount; noise still there exactly as before

>>> Retorqued everything in the rear - sway bar, shocks, etc - noise still there

>>> Installed M-3075-E GT500 front lower control arms which has ball joints included - thought possible due to miles - sound still there

I am at a total loss - is there something in the body work that could make this sound? There is nothing left in the suspension to touch. HELP!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:10 PM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Can you feel it in the steering wheel and does it increase or decrease on wet pavement or sand road?
Jim
Old 03-26-2010, 06:22 PM
BAKnBLK2010
1st Gear Member

Can't say for sure but it might be a bad steering shaft. Chevy 1500 trucks (1999 to 2006) have this same knock at low speeds. The fix is to replace the shaft or repack with grease. By steering shaft I mean the shaft that connects to the steering box.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:24 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

Thats a pain, Good luck!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Have you checked to see if any of your bushings are worn? although this would make noise when turning, going over bumps, etc.

Have you checked to make sure there isn't any rubbing in the wheel wells after the body work?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
skillful
2nd Gear Member

Talking

Thats the hooker tring to get back in because she realized she didnt charge you enough.......lol
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you can swap out the shock/mount with another OEM just to check and see. I know its not easy but if would help eliminate that as being the problem
Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

New car.

I'll PM you my address.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

How is the steering?
Tire wear?
When upper strut mount and bearing assembly is worn I describe it as chattering noise. Specially when making a turn to the left or right.
He's describing this noise as a knocking sound coming from the front. Well it's time to check the steering system for a clonk noise; A hydraulic knocking sound. It occurs with air pockets in a hydraulic system.
If that isn't the case.
Check for interference between the upper strut rebound stop and the upper mount or strut tower
Interference between the coil spring and tower.

Lift the car again and have someone turn the wheels. Use a bar, long tube, etc if you don't have a stethoscope and try to chase for the noise. Try it with the engine off, then on. Try not to hold the steering fully for more than 5 sec.
I could go on and on. Try to eliminate but start from the tires. Tire wear, proper inflation, etc... From suspension to steering and from steering to body. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:36 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwharton
Can you feel it in the steering wheel and does it increase or decrease on wet pavement or sand road?
Jim
No - just turn left in any conditions at slow speed and it's there

Quick Reply: Knocking Sound - Reward to 1st Reply With Solution