Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone else's satellite radio sound like crap?(Shaker System)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 AM
huskerfan
1st Gear Member

Default Does anyone else's satellite radio sound like crap?(Shaker System)

Ive got the Shaker sound system in my GT which comes with the 6 month free trial of Sirius radio. For some reason it sounds horrible like a bad FM transmitter or something. My bluetooth audio sounds better. Is everyone's sound like that?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

My Sirius sounds really good. I'd suggest a visit to the dealer on your problem.

Good luck
Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 AM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

My car sounds great. Maybe you have an issue or something. Antenna connection or something maybe?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

If your signal is strong enough to receive you should be getting the same clarity as everyone. Its not like radio waves and terrestrial signal strength. I think its likely something in the head unit or an attachment to the head unit. Speakers sound good on other inputs so those should be ok. If i knew more about the systems wiring I would try to help isolate it.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 AM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

My sat radio sounds grainy, kind of like the music was compresed to much.

I didnt realize that this was an issue as this is th first car I have owned with sat in it. I thought they all sounded like this.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:10 AM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
If your signal is strong enough to receive you should be getting the same clarity as everyone. Its not like radio waves and terrestrial signal strength. I think its likely something in the head unit or an attachment to the head unit. Speakers sound good on other inputs so those should be ok. If i knew more about the systems wiring I would try to help isolate it.
There are more than one sat. that the sirius connects to. If its not connecting to enough or not a great signal from a few then there could be an issue.

I have seen this on Land rovers that I work on everyday.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 AM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Well all I can say is that my SAT radio sounds better than AM but worse than my iPod over USB.

I have SAT in two cars (both under free trials) and a CD/iPod sound better than SAT
Old 04-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by branman1
There are more than one sat. that the sirius connects to. If its not connecting to enough or not a great signal from a few then there could be an issue.

I have seen this on Land rovers that I work on everyday.
Hmmm, I can see what your saying. I was thinking this sat system accepted digital information with a requirement for a certain level of signal strength, and if that level was not achieved, it would give you a no signal indication. Being a consumer product I thought they would require a substantial amount of strength before considering it an acceptable signal. But now that I think about it, a consumer would probably be more pleased with crappy audio then no audio at all... My experience with satellite systems is mostly navigational (helicopter). At least in nav applications the number of sats is shown. I wish that sync could show you data and on how many satellites are tracking and also position confidence in meters. Knowing satellite tracking data would sure help diagnosing the issue.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:35 AM
10KonaBGT
2nd Gear Member

Yes! Mine does sound like crap also. I thought it was just me!

I was under the impression that like DTV (over the air) you either have signal or you don't and if it was there it was good.

I didn't realize Sat radio could have a weak signal and be noticeable in the sound quality.

Granted I've only had the car two weeks but sometimes it sounds better than at other times.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10KonaBGT
I didn't realize Sat radio could have a weak signal and be noticeable in the sound quality.
I've had satellite radio for years -- both Sirius and XM, on OEM radios, aftermarket stereos, and the cheap 'add-on' kits -- and I have never noticed a difference in sound quality based on strength of signal. It's either has the strength for a perfect sound, or it cuts out completely.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else's satellite radio sound like crap?(Shaker System)