Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods and Insurance Companies.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

I work for Nationwide, and I can be the first to tell you that every company has different guidelines on how they handle the situation. The best way to know is to ask. Some companies may not cover the parts if you never told them, others may cover them no matter what. As Blue GT stated, we cover up to a certain amount automatically, and anything over that we would need to know. He stated $1,500, to my knowledge it's $1,000. The additional parts are covered under ACPEE (Additional Custom Parts and Electronic Equipment) and this is how our guidelines define this:

Additional Custom Parts and Electronic Equipment (ACPEE) is available in two parts, (1) Custom Parts and Equipment and (2) Coverage for Audio, Visual, and Data Electronic Equipment.

Part I: Custom Parts and Equipment Coverage applies to customized private passenger autos with one or more of the following installed items: special carpeting, stereos, CD players/changers, custom murals or paint, alloy or magnesium wheels, T-bar roofs, roll or light bars, modified engines, drive trains, suspension, and mechanical or body components. Custom parts must not be permanently installed at purchase and must not be considered original equipment by the manufacturer

Part II: Coverage for Audio, Visual and Data Electronic Equipment covers direct and accidental loss of electronic equipment used for the reproduction of sound (e.g. CB radio, two-way mobile radio, telephone or scanning monitor receivers) and electronic equipment that receives or transmits audio, visual, or data signals e.g. radio, CD player). A $500 limit of liability is also provided for accessories such as tapes, records, discs and other media. This equipment must be permanently installed in the vehicle. It must also be designed to operate off of the power of the vehicle’s electrical system only and be removable from the housing unit permanently installed in the vehicle.

Available in AZ, CA, CO, GA, ID, IN, IA, KS, MD, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OH, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, WA, WI, WY.

Must have Comprehensive and Collision.

The auto policy provides $1,000 of automatic coverage. Additional coverage is available in $1,000 increments ($500 increments in CA and NV) up to a limit of $4,000, making the maximum available coverage $5,000.

No deductible applies.

Detailed descriptions of the customer’s covered items are required, but written documentation is not required.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

If you get your car stolen they will usually cover you for any incidentals, like CD's, sunglasses, GPS, etc, up to a limit. If you have extensive mods or an expensive stereo or rims you may need a separate rider to cover the loss of those things that aren't considered part of the basic coverage.
The increase in your premiums usually won't be very much and will give you piece of mind of you live in a high crime area.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:53 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dave2521
I work for USAA and i can tell you that yes your contract will automatically cover anything used in conjunction with the vehicle as long as it is attached
That's why I've been with them for almost 25 yrs now...
Old 04-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

just take the safe bet and tell them

what happens if you have a modification that they specifically call out in their terms of service and they decide to drop your coverage.

it's happened to me before with GEICO and a supercharger. you might pay a higher rate, but it's better safe than sorry IMO
Old 04-10-2010, 11:20 AM
mwinter501
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
just take the safe bet and tell them

what happens if you have a modification that they specifically call out in their terms of service and they decide to drop your coverage.

it's happened to me before with GEICO and a supercharger. you might pay a higher rate, but it's better safe than sorry IMO
I hate GEICO.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:44 AM
jmn444
1st Gear Member

Maybe some of you insurance guys can tell me if I'm wrong or right here, but IMO, most of our mods that we do, would actually cost MORE to replace with OEM stuff... so does it really matter? In other words, if I'm the at-fault or it's comp, is it at least reasonable to think that the ins co would/should pay at least a base line price for an OEM rim/tire if my aftermarket one is damaged?

If I'm not at fault, the other company should pay whatever it takes to put the car back to how I had it regardless of how I have it insured, right?

I've always assumed that it's ADDITIONAL equipment like extra tv's/amps/superchargers/etc. that can trip people up, not replacement equipment like springs/wheels/grills/hoods/etc....
Old 04-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

I have an additional $2500 rider for my visual upgrades but now that the blower is about to go on I'm wondering about upping it to cover that too, but then they might raise my rates........decisions decisions.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:52 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

i added my visual mods and suspension mods to my insurance policy. Added $8 a month to my policy. Considering the retail price of my tires/wheels. It was worth it....
Old 04-10-2010, 12:53 PM
dave2521

Originally Posted by jmn444
Maybe some of you insurance guys can tell me if I'm wrong or right here, but IMO, most of our mods that we do, would actually cost MORE to replace with OEM stuff... so does it really matter? In other words, if I'm the at-fault or it's comp, is it at least reasonable to think that the ins co would/should pay at least a base line price for an OEM rim/tire if my aftermarket one is damaged?

If I'm not at fault, the other company should pay whatever it takes to put the car back to how I had it regardless of how I have it insured, right?

I've always assumed that it's ADDITIONAL equipment like extra tv's/amps/superchargers/etc. that can trip people up, not replacement equipment like springs/wheels/grills/hoods/etc....
I depends on the insurance companies contract wording. Some companies have a limit on what can be paid out for upgrades, some will not cover any performance modifications etc. I can tell you that with the company I work for, we have an indemnity clause (basically means we will replace you back to the way you were prior to the loss). I suggest either reading your insurance contract, or call one of your agents.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:00 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

GEICO told me if my car were in an accident the parts would be replaced with OEM as it came from the factory if i did not declare the parts. I paid for them once and I will damned if I would pay for them again. the additional cost to my policy was based on the cost of the mods

Quick Reply: Mods and Insurance Companies.