Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MyFord Touch (Sync on steroids)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 PM
eurocobra

Default MyFord Touch (Sync on steroids)

Any rumors or ideas when this will be available on mustangs? I am hoping 2012 because I do not think that the current generation will be as easy to upload map data as the MyFord Touch. It also doesnt force you to get navigation in order to have the touch screen multimedia features. It looks like it will be just an SD card slot for map data.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNwU4-lxgRU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrLdM...ayer_embedded#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-d8p_4_oHI&NR=1

Last edited by eurocobra; 04-10-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:19 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Honestly watching that, I wouldn't want that to go in my vehicle. Just more things to break or go bad, now it's also involved with the gauges. Kind of important stuff.

I may be old fashioned but I like my vehicle to mostly just drive. I like all the good old analog equipment. I like my vehicle to be the place I just hear the stereo or rumble of the engine, not another video game. Its a place to get away from all that.

Don't get me wrong. Being able to hook up my mp3 player is nice but I don't want all those extras that interfere directly with my driving. All the electronic nanny's.

But it is cool that Ford is moving ahead and keeps on advancing.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:36 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by remicks
Honestly watching that, I wouldn't want that to go in my vehicle. Just more things to break or go bad, now it's also involved with the gauges. Kind of important stuff.

I may be old fashioned but I like my vehicle to mostly just drive. I like all the good old analog equipment. I like my vehicle to be the place I just hear the stereo or rumble of the engine, not another video game. Its a place to get away from all that.

Don't get me wrong. Being able to hook up my mp3 player is nice but I don't want all those extras that interfere directly with my driving. All the electronic nanny's.

But it is cool that Ford is moving ahead and keeps on advancing.
I think I'm with you on that. Looks like another way for dumbasses to wreck to be honest.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:42 PM
eurocobra

I guess I am just the opposite when it comes to having such a system. I like to configure and change settings. Its also not so complicated. I also like the idea of having the possibility to have a built in wifi hotspot because I always have my netbook in the car. This is the MP3, wifi, digital generation. Why stop at the USB port and aux jack? My father and his generation frowned on fuel injection....more stuff to break etc. Keep the tech toys coming. I also noticed that my 5 year old son can figure out more than most adults regarding settings and configurations. Amazingly Nintendo Wii, Sony PS3, Xbox, and many computer programs can be initiated by my son even in foriegn languages (because of familiar intuitive menu layouts). Just todays modern technology applied to the car. In reality its not so complex.

I also like it because I have been living in Germany for many years now and when I see American cars go from being ridiculed to setting the benchmark for vehicle entertainment and connectivity features it makes me proud. Trust me, if you want simple my 2003 cobra is a dinosaur as compared to what was being offered 5 years later in 2008.

Keeping things simple will not sell cars and in these difficult times the auto makers have to deliver the goods to sell. This is good for the consumer.

Last edited by eurocobra; 04-10-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:50 PM
eurocobra

A bit more on some of the features: http://mashable.com/2010/01/07/myford-touch-sync/

http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-...ntuitive-31716

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/07/m...me-is-awesome/

Last edited by eurocobra; 04-10-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
eurocobra

Amazing photo gallery:

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/myfo...ncoln-touch/#2

I guess this level of connectivity and interface isn't appealing to everyone but I can sure put most of those features to good use. I cannot wait to get my hands on this system.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:59 PM
RMS10
1st Gear Member

At first I wasn't going to use the SYNC and other electronic stuff much. I just wanted the GPS. Now I really enjoy the stuff. I use the weather forecast and radar and the sports scores. I am even starting to load the jukebox. The bluetooth feature for the cellphone is really nice - much better than trying to hold a little phone. If I make up my mind about getting a LockPick then the GPS destination will become much more user friendly as will the sports information.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 PM
alfaromeo

I don't prefer the system either. My concern is the reliability. The more complex the system is the less reliable it would be. Especially software system, it would be very very hard to reproduce, diagnose, and fix a problem. Imagine the system down like windows does during the vehicle is running....
Old 04-11-2010, 12:45 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alfaromeo
I don't prefer the system either. My concern is the reliability. The more complex the system is the less reliable it would be. Especially software system, it would be very very hard to reproduce, diagnose, and fix a problem. Imagine the system down like windows does during the vehicle is running....
That is a concern too.

Originally Posted by eurocobra
I guess I am just the opposite when it comes to having such a system. I like to configure and change settings. Its also not so complicated. I also like the idea of having the possibility to have a built in wifi hotspot because I always have my netbook in the car. This is the MP3, wifi, digital generation. Why stop at the USB port and aux jack? My father and his generation frowned on fuel injection....more stuff to break etc. Keep the tech toys coming. I also noticed that my 5 year old son can figure out more than most adults regarding settings and configurations. Amazingly Nintendo Wii, Sony PS3, Xbox, and many computer programs can be initiated by my son even in foriegn languages (because of familiar intuitive menu layouts). Just todays modern technology applied to the car. In reality its not so complex.

I also like it because I have been living in Germany for many years now and when I see American cars go from being ridiculed to setting the benchmark for vehicle entertainment and connectivity features it makes me proud. Trust me, if you want simple my 2003 cobra is a dinosaur as compared to what was being offered 5 years later in 2008.

Keeping things simple will not sell cars and in these difficult times the auto makers have to deliver the goods to sell. This is good for the consumer.
I agree with the being connected and everything and I did mention it was a good thing Ford was innovating. Which is something to be really proud of a American manufacturing surpassing everyone out there in pretty much every category.

But I don't like the obtrusiveness. I like having a place where technology isn't completely pervasive in my life. If I want sports, forecast, navigation, all that good stuff I have my phone. I like being able to get away and drive. Not something telling me how to drive. I'm old fashioned I guess, I prefer to enjoy the ride, not these new super plush home office interiors. Just listen to Led Zeppelin and The Doors with the windows down while cruising the back roads.

But its not like I'm afraid of technology, I'm 24 and do satellite communications and electrical engineering. I just like my simple live axle, big engine dinosaur burning car just to drive and do what I tell it, not the other way around. Just sad seeing stuff like that invade my simple muscle car, hopefully it stays an option.

And still in my opinion tech under the hood has still stayed basically the same. I know there are still advancements but they are in technique not an overall change. Air gets sucked in, fuel burns, pistons go round, drive shaft turns and wheels go round.

Last edited by remicks; 04-11-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:46 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

"HAL... open the gas cap door. HAL?"

"I'm sorry Frank, I can't do that."

"F***!"

Quick Reply: MyFord Touch (Sync on steroids)