Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headrest angle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Zoom_H
1st Gear Member

two things i do to address the forward-leaning headrest:

1. raise the headrest a little so that when you lean back, the top edge of the headrest is just below the top of the back of your head; in effect the headrest would be kinda 'looking down' on the back of your head.

2. lean the back of the seat a bit more so the headrest will angle more vertical. this may take time to get used to if you're really used to a very upright driving position or if you have short arms and have to sit upright and close to the steering wheel.

i made both adjustments and the headrest is no longer a nuisance.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Slickvic_
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 10KonaBGT
I was just about to start a thread on this very thing. Being that I am a woman with fairly long hair and often wear it in a pony tail or tied up with a large clip. The headrest hits exactly wear my hair is piled up and pushes the clip into the back of my head, VERY annoying! I like the idea of turning it around but I dont think the look of it being backward would be to appealling.
My wife has long hair too and puts it in a clip or pony tail.

I will have her recline the seat a bit more. Thanx to everyone for their recommendations.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

The headrest was extremely annoying to me also... ended up turning it backwards which looks pretty retarded but it doesnt annoy me anymore.

I noticed they are a bit different in the 2012's
Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

2012's also have them in the back...
Old 02-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I could not get comfortable with the factory head rest, and my son who is 6'1" couldn't raise them high enough to sit straight. I bought the TMI head rests, they have a set that matches the black leather interior of my 2012 Premium and they are great. Mine are slightly wider than the factory head rests, but they look good and work very well.

http://reviews.americanmuscle.com/00...ws/reviews.htm
Old 03-25-2012, 01:46 PM
roadpilot

They aren't headrests/head rests. They are head restraints. As in safety restraints. That's why comfort isn't a priority - anything the federal government mandates is typically uncomfortable.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:55 PM
swagfu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dconfer
Dont want to start a new thread but does anyone have any problems with the seat belt cutting into your neck. I have been trying to figure out a way to adjust it so it doesnt do that.
I got two seatbelt extenders from the dealer. They were free when I purchased the car. They do help with the neck riding....but could use a few more inches of relief.

You may want to give them a try.

Oh, and for some reason my brother can not stand the headrest, but I have no problem with it.

Last edited by swagfu; 03-25-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:40 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

I got into the back seat, put my knees up against the top of the seat, and pulled back on the headrests. I can't tell you which part of the system bent, but now they are ~1/2 inch further back. Before they were touching my head and I tended to lean forward and get a crick in my neck.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:03 AM
jshill

Look at two aftermarket adjustable headrests. One is MRT (http://www.mrt-direct.com/11a100.html, about $250/2), and the other is TMI (get from http://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-headr...0-2012/p/HR5B/, about $230). Both ratchet to different tilts. I'm considering both myself. I did turn my driver's rest backward, but my wife is worried about whiplash, so...here goes another $250 or so!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

@ 10kona i agree the look is not appealing, however the fix is to buy after market ones for sale at american muscle OR get the headrests from a 2012 or 2013, they are adjustable from straight up and down to tilted way forward, as for the seat belts im a little over 6 ft so it does not bother me but it does the shorter girls in the passenger seat, the fix is as simple as rasing your seat up, or a five point harness. Which get you bonus coolness points

Quick Reply: Headrest angle?