Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Long Tubes installed & new Bama tune - question......

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Default Kooks Long Tubes installed & new Bama tune - question......

Got my Kooks Long Tubes and catted H-Pipe installed. First I want to say that Maryland Speed is awesome - great price, free Jet Hot coating, and free shipping. They send you update emails every step of the way, and the coating looks great.......

Got an updated 93 race tune from the new Bama/American Muscle, and I must say it is as good as the original. I can really feel the car pulling harder from around 3,000 rpm up, and it gave it a deeper, slightly louder sound when romping on it. I don't want it too loud, so I'm keeping the stock mufflers and I think it will be perfect after the cams.

The only thing that kind of bothers me is the muffler tips now extend about 1 1/2" further out the back, and I didn't notice it until after I got the car home. Has anyone else experienced this after installing headers ? Is the H-Pipe just a little too long, and I could just pull the mufflers off, cut a little of the pipe off and re-install the mufflers ?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I dont think you can cut the pipes near the muffler as they (at least mine do) have a nipple extending out that kinda locks the pipes in place with the axle pipe. You might be able to cut the h pipe/axle pipe connection. I would have a muffler shop do it. Cutting pipe is so "final", no room error, other than getting them welded.

I would really like to hear your setup now. Any chance you can shot a video of your car? I just installed my long tubes and h pipe and even with Hf cats its crazy loud with my tiny mufflers. I plan to retune mine after the cam install like but, didnt bother this time.

patrick
Old 04-13-2010, 01:26 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you need a new set of mufflers with some kick as tips....
Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 AM
nv4gt ws
2nd Gear Member

i just installed kooks also and mufflers tips are sticking out further. you can cut the mid pipe. installing kooks long tubes is not a bad job.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:09 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

Mine sit just fine but I have the 1 3/4" LT's and the 3" catted H so I don't know if the 3" catted H is different than the 2 1/2" one.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

I also have Kooks Ceramic LT's with Highflow Catted H-Pipe.
My Borla's with 4" tips look & fit perfect... Great system with Cams !!!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I would really like to hear your setup now. Any chance you can shot a video of your car? I just installed my long tubes and h pipe and even with Hf cats its crazy loud with my tiny mufflers.
Thanks, I'll try to get a video of it up, but my Camcorder has been acting up.

Originally Posted by howarmat
you need a new set of mufflers with some kick as tips....
I wouldn't mind some new mufflers, but I would like it just a little louder - nothing extreme. I've heard the Magnaflows sound pretty good but are barely noticeable over stock, so not sure if it is worth $600 just for the nicer tips. Any other suggestions ? I've been looking on youtube, but it's really hard to judge the sound from a little camcorder mic.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

This is the first I've read about the Kooks setup pushing the tips further out. Strange.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

I plan on getting the same thing soon, some coated kooks from mayland speed, and an updated tune from bama.

I cant wait to pair these kooks with the stingers

PS how long did it take from when you placed the order, to them showing up at your door?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
I plan on getting the same thing soon, some coated kooks from mayland speed, and an updated tune from bama.

I cant wait to pair these kooks with the stingers

PS how long did it take from when you placed the order, to them showing up at your door?

They actually sent me an email the next day after I placed my order, and said that they were out of the headers, but expecting a shipment in a few days. They sent the H-Pipe out that day, and then in a few days I got an email saying that the headers were in and shipping to the coater. A few more days and I got an email with tracking #'s showing shipped from the coater. Took about 10 days total for the headers. Don't forget the discount code for the free coating.

Quick Reply: Kooks Long Tubes installed & new Bama tune - question......