Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Applying Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Metroshica
2nd Gear Member

Default Applying Stripes

This summer I plan on buying some 10" metallic silver stripes from baltimore street mods and striping my gt. I've never done really any work like this on my car before, and I want to know how hard is it to apply the stripes well. I saw that baltimore street mods sells transfer tape, which obviously helps, but is it something I really should just consider having a body shop doing for me? I haven't gotten any quotes on how much it would be, but I'm guessing it would be at least fifty bucks, money that I don't really want to spend. Anyone have any first time experience putting on stripes?

(Also, still up in the air about the stripe color, but I'm liking the metallic silver. If anyone has any pics, please post them as well so I can get a better idea of how it will look.)
Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 AM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

im actually in the process of writing up a how to on this, so you can wait and keep your eye out for it... and i called alot of shops, basicly lookin at around 400-500 range
Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

I did mine myself.
Some tips: The hood has some tough curves to it. Make sure when you get towards the front part of the hood you get the backing paper of the vinyl stripes nice and wet. Otherwise the paper won't form to the shape of the hood. Could cause creases.

When you finish and you find there are a few bubbles trapped, just wait a bit. Leave the car out in the sun for a few hours and the heat will shrink the material and dry out any trapped water. I didn't wait and tried to get a few bubbles out with hair dryer. Now I have a wrinkle from poking at it...

Get some of that spray stuff they sell for putting the stripes on. It's some kind of soap solution.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Metroshica
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mstngsule68
im actually in the process of writing up a how to on this, so you can wait and keep your eye out for it... and i called alot of shops, basicly lookin at around 400-500 range
400-500 just for applying stripes?!?!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

My stripes are metallic silver but are painted, not vinyl. They are the same color as the stock rims. This should give you some idea on what they would look like..

Last edited by Trez83; 04-13-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:22 PM
stangpilot08
1st Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Metroshica
I shopped around and it was $400-$500, but that includes the striping material.

I got my stripes from the decalshoppe.com (they also have an ebay store) and they were the 5yr stripes. Albeit they were not pre cut to form around the trunk badge, the license plate, or hood scoop (they do now) it took me 20hrs in my garage to put these on properly with a squirt bottle, heat gun, and squeegie. The hood, roof, and trunk are a snap. Anything that goes over a curve proves to be a little challenging (bumpers).

Note*** Get a 10yr or better quality stripe kit. Mine oxidized in under 2yrs and will have to be replaced. It will not be an easy task to remove it and I am not looking forward to it, but we do a lot to make our rides stand out...

I hope this helps and keep in mind I had to trim mine out to fit over some stuff because it was not pre cut, so that cost me a ton of time to get it right.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Metroshica
yup its rediculous to do it... honestly its not that hard, it just requires alot of patience... like the other guys said how it took him 20hrs, i believe it, i did mine over a 4day strech... just did it in peices.. 1day hood, 2day roof, 3day trunk, 4day bumpers.... it goes nice like that and help keeps your head clear.....
Old 04-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Metroshica
2nd Gear Member

wow, sounds like it's a lot more work than I thought, I was thinking I could bang it out in a couple of hours. Granted, the stripes I'm getting will be pre-cut for everything, but wow. Anyone have any experience with the stripe kits from baltimore street mods?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

there good and everyone will recomend them..... id go with them if i could do it over, but then again id go with paint if i could do it over....
Old 04-13-2010, 05:03 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Couple hours? NO WAY!
You have to remove the wax, get down to the clear coat. Use blue painters tape to mark the center, etc. Use lots of soapy water and a by a larger bigger squeegie (like at least 4-6" wide), with a handle.

Start on a small piece, like on the trunk lid, to get the hang of how to apply them. Work your way to larger pieces, doing the hood last.

For stripes, dont skimp on quality!!! 3M material is really good; you get what you pay for.
My stripes have been on for almost 5 years, and the only issues are rock chips.

Painting them on is by far the best, but very expensive.

Quick Reply: Applying Stripes