Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Applying Stripes

Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Metroshica
2nd Gear Member

Well sounds great, Bird1606, do you have any more pictures of your stripes? Now I'm deciding between metallic silver or gloss silver, and I haven't seen too many gloss silver stripes. I wish BSM had more pictures, and that they labeled the ones they do have.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Metroshica
Wow, I'm starting to get a little scared now, much bigger project than I thought. Thanks a ton for the walkthrough 05gtdriver, definitely going to help. When you say to keep the stripes diluted, do you mean just a little damp or completely wet? Any other pointers before I put em on? Probably won't put them on until May, but it's good to prepare now. I take it that it's better to do the stripes sooner in the spring when it's a little cooler than later in the summer when it starts getting hot.
Keep the stripes & car surface as wet as possible, you'll be moving the stripes around quite a bit & having them & the car drenched is key. Don't be scared, once you start, you'll be eager to see the finished result, SO TAKE YOUR TIME! If you start to rush, you will make a mistake, so take it slow. BSM gives additional pieces to do a CDC spoiler, use these pieces to practice on your front lower bumper, learn how to manipulate the stripe and get a hang of how the solution and materials interact. Best of luck
Old 04-14-2010, 01:51 PM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Im in the process of striping my ROUSH because my old white stripes were cracked & I want Matte Black this time. I got the ROUSH stripe kit from BSM along with the rocker panel stripes. I figure if BSM is good enough for Taco Bill, they're good enough for me! I've just finished re-working the surfaces (prep/prime/paint/clear) of the front bumper & rear spoiler because removing the stripes caused some paint chips on thos plastic parts... not a scratch on the metal thankfully!

Since it's just barely warm enough to do the job (65 F) I plan to start on the trunk badge area & build my confidence working from there. I also have a brand new Cervini's Ram Air hood which I will need to install & stripe... I plan to take my time and do it all over the course of 7-10 days, a few hours a day.

I've been photo-documenting my work & will post about it when I'm done. Thanks to all the great folks who contribute to this forum, I'm doing stuff to my car I never thought I'd do!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Metroshica
Well glad to hear such a great response guys, I agree East87, anything to improve the look of my car is enjoyable for me to do. Heck, my weekly Saturday morning wash is the thing I look forward to every weekend. I do have another question though, will I be able to install these stripes completely fine by myself, or should I try and find someone to help me. Got a buddy who would definitely give me a hand, though not sure if he'd be up for how long this may take.
I had my uncle help me with the roof pieces and to give me tips so I could finish up on my own. It was key to have him there to help with lining the roof pieces up with the center of the car. It also was nice to have someone working the opposite stripe at the same time I was working the one side. Not required to have help, but definitely useful. Plus it gives you a great excuse to crack open a few beers.

NOTE: It is VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you install this stuff indoors. Dust was a huge problem for me, even in a sealed garage!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM
stangpilot08
1st Gear Member

Decalshoppe.com has a high performance stripe that is rated for 10yrs (optimal conditions). It is made from the same vinyl used for 18wheelers that are on the road constantly. The price for mine on their site was $189+shipping, but I called them and got them down to $124 including shipping. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:04 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

I have NO tallent... applying stripes was stupid easy. Rocky Mountain Graphics... cakewalk easy.

Thread:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...hics-rock.html
Old 04-18-2010, 03:19 PM
RMGraphics
Banned

Don't forget that you can use the coupon code MFMEMBER to get 15% off your stripes at rockymountaingraphics.com. Thanks for posting a pic robs.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:40 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

If you guys want white or black, Oracal 951 is 12 years in those colors and ten in other colors. Metallics are rated at 7 years iirc. If these things aren't pre-cut to the car I can sell a set super cheap.