Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer gear install horror story

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:23 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

Default dealer gear install horror story

last fall I had my 3.31 gears replaced with 3.73 gears, I figured going with the dealer would keep my 60k powertrain warranty intact and would also mean whatever happened I would be taken care of.

dropped the car off, they kept it for 5 days saying they had to redo it after having problems getting it setup right. I go pick up the car, there was way too much noise coming from the rear. so I took it back to them. they looked at it and agreed there was an issue so they put in another new gear set. I have put about 1500 miles on the car and the noise is pretty bad, I have a whine that takes place between 70-80 mph at part throttle, which happens to be how I am driving most of the time. if I let off, it goes away, if I add quite a bit of throttle it goes away. this only happens after the fluid in the diff is good and warm. so I took it back to them yesterday, they said the gears are spot on and there is no warranty against noise, I was like WTF?!?!? these gears are an option on the new cars and those don't make noise, all the guy could say is there is no warranty for noise. I am pissed beyond belief, I worked hard for this car, its a fun car and it bugs me every time I drive it hearing this whine. I am going to take the car straight to another shop and have them look at it. if they can pin point something not setup right I am going to file a small claims suit against the dealer as I paid over $600 for this.

note to anyone reading this, once a gear install goes south its a nightmare to fix. I wish I would have just bought a car with stock 3.55's and called it a day.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:34 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Keep fighting with them. The sound is possibly the sign of a mechanical problem. It's not like it's just a preference like an interior rattle. That would be like saying if the motor had a knock it wouldn't be covered under warranty.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

Is there another Ford dealer in your area that you could take it to for a second opinion?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

They are correct in that there is no warranty with the gear installs. THe only way is if you bought FRPP gears and had FRRP dealer install them, but then its only warranty on parts i believe not labor.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:47 PM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

this is the exact reason why i will be sticking with my stock 3.55

gears seem to be a hit or miss mod.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear man. Gears do seem to be hit or miss. Honestly, I don't depend on stealership work. Either there is no whine, or it just occurs at different points for different cars. I have a little decel whine, but after I broke them in and started to push them some, the noise has lessen. I used to get the worse whine at 20-0mph and that has gone away. No one likes to drive with whine, it CAN get very annoying fast. Even the best installers out there can not guarantee no whine, it's just how the gears are, especially if the gear itself is slightly cut off specs. Also once you get your gears in and it whines, it will be very unlikely to go away unless you change the gear set. If it bothers you that much, you may want to find a better installer and start over. See if you can recover your costs and move on.

Did you buy FRPP "A" gears?

When I had my gears installed, I helped hands on. Was shown the backlash, which was within spec, the paint, everything. Lined up perfect. Mystery why there was decel whine. It just happens.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nmd55
this is the exact reason why i will be sticking with my stock 3.55

gears seem to be a hit or miss mod.
My feelings exactly. I thought long & hard about getting 4.10s, but there are so many horror stories, I decided to stick with my factory 3.55s.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:15 PM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

alkemist,
Sorry to learn of your experience. I work at a dealership and have for many years. Ironically , I work for a Chevrolet dealership and own a Ford Mustang GT.
I had the same gear noise symptom and had repairs performed by a local Ford dealership. They replaced the ring & pinion geat set (3:31), both side bearings, both pinion bearings, pinion seal, sleeve and lubricant. The repair came out perfect.
From both a dealership employee and a vehicle owner standpoint, I can state the following:
1.) A technician who has a full working knowledge of rear axles should have been working on this vehicle from the start. If the first job come out wrong, I question if the second attempt will come with acceptable results.
2). I would make an appointment with the dealership service manager AND the dealer owner/operator (separately). I would respectfully discuss you concerns...expenditures, the results and your expectations with the Service Manager. The meeting with the owner would either be to elevate your complaint or discuss the fact that you have a concern and have been assured that his Service Manager has stated he will resolve the issue. (Do not tell the Service Manager that your plans are to speak with the dealer/operator).
It appears that they warranted the first gear set and got paid by Ford to install it. Another gear set billed to Ford would reinforce the fact that they failed in their installation and could jepordize Ford's payment of the first gear set.
3). The dealership should step to the installation of a fresh gear set and give the job to a technician with through knowledge and experience in differential gear installation.
Their are many variables with the gear sets out there. A truely good technician with experience in this field knows the tricks to make these gear installations with success.
Good luck with the dealership and use the legal system quietly as a last resort.
Let us know.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by nicksfoursix
alkemist,
Sorry to learn of your experience. I work at a dealership and have for many years. Ironically , I work for a Chevrolet dealership and own a Ford Mustang GT.
I had the same gear noise symptom and had repairs performed by a local Ford dealership. They replaced the ring & pinion geat set (3:31), both side bearings, both pinion bearings, pinion seal, sleeve and lubricant. The repair came out perfect.
From both a dealership employee and a vehicle owner standpoint, I can state the following:
1.) A technician who has a full working knowledge of rear axles should have been working on this vehicle from the start. If the first job come out wrong, I question if the second attempt will come with acceptable results.
2). I would make an appointment with the dealership service manager AND the dealer owner/operator (separately). I would respectfully discuss you concerns...expenditures, the results and your expectations with the Service Manager. The meeting with the owner would either be to elevate your complaint or discuss the fact that you have a concern and have been assured that his Service Manager has stated he will resolve the issue. (Do not tell the Service Manager that your plans are to speak with the dealer/operator).
It appears that they warranted the first gear set and got paid by Ford to install it. Another gear set billed to Ford would reinforce the fact that they failed in their installation and could jepordize Ford's payment of the first gear set.
3). The dealership should step to the installation of a fresh gear set and give the job to a technician with through knowledge and experience in differential gear installation.
Their are many variables with the gear sets out there. A truely good technician with experience in this field knows the tricks to make these gear installations with success.
Good luck with the dealership and use the legal system quietly as a last resort.
Let us know.
a dealership didnt install hers lol
Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I also want gears but after all the stories, I'm afraid it'll end up whining like a *****.

3.31s are quite annoying at times too.

Quick Reply: dealer gear install horror story