Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Weird S*** with my car

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:43 PM
05redfire6

Exclamation HELP!!! Weird S*** with my car

Ok this is really strange because my car was running/working properly the other day....

Went to go start my car and turned the key in the ON position and the instrument cluster starts blinking (warning lights) and makes buzzing and whirring noises. I turn it to OFF and my CD changer starts cycling from 6 back to 1 then goes to AM radio. Turn back to ON and same thing happens with the cluster but also the SJB unit makes buzzing and clicking noises. I pop the hood and check the battery and the negative side is corroded all over so i spray it and wipe it down. Check the voltage with my DVM and it reads 12.6. I check the connections and the ground and they seem good.

I can unlock my door with the key fob so i think im good to go, turn the key to ON and the yellow seat belt light blinks dim, and the Red Lock blinks constantly, and there is also a loud clicking coming from my fuse box. I check it and find that the horn relay is going nuts so i pull it out. The coil has sufficient resistance (85 & 86) and the contacts are fine, put it back in and it starts going nuts again, plus i believe my PCM makes buzzing noises as well. Take it back out and leave it out.

Go back and turn the key to ON and the yellow seat belt is blinking dim, Red Lock is blinking and my Anti Theft light under the steering is lit up RED. Also i hear a different loud clicking coming from my TB assembly, so i dont know if its the solenoid or the TB itself. Every time i turn the key ON then back OFF the instrument cluster would buzz/whirr and the tachs would slightly move down then back up to their resting spot.

Cliffs - Car wont start
Instrument cluster, SJB(one time), Horn relay, PCM, TB clicks/buzzes/whirrs
Key ON yellow seatbelt blinks dim, Red Lock blinks constantly, Anti Theft lit up Red under steering
*Tried both key fobs, with door open in ignition does normal beeping, dome lights on and windows down about 2 inchs
**Battery has 12.6v - 2nd battery non ford replaced early 09 for OEM
***TB and belt replaced at Ford Dealer late 07 because a damn squirrel got caught in my belt
****Instrument cluster replaced at Ford Dealer late 08 for RPM, speedo, and Engine Temp not reading properly

Ive had this car since day 1
Its a 2005 v6 premium(auto) 82*** miles, 93 EVO tune/JLT CAI since 07, 3.73s and Tlock, MRT muffler.

If anybody can help/offer advice i would be grateful
Old 04-16-2010, 03:46 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

feel the passenger side floor for wetness. Also search the forum for the 100 threads on the water leak problem, there is a link in the sticky to a long thread about it
Old 04-16-2010, 03:49 PM
05redfire6

Ive checked numerous times after it rained sitting there and also driving in rain and its never wet or anything, i dont believe my car had a problem with that TSB
Old 04-16-2010, 03:54 PM
05redfire6

all day yesterday i searched everything on this forum and others, car wont start, the water leak problem, electrical problems but i havent come across a thread yet with my exact symptoms.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:09 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Maybe lightning hit your car?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:31 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

maybe the chip in the key lost the program,could still be a battery, does the car crank or nothing but lights when you turn the key.Is it a stick or automatic, could also be a sensor to keep it from starting in gear,if its auto maybe its not in park all the way, just giving you something else to try.Try a different battery first,could just have bad luck with batteries and a loose ground
Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 PM
05redfire6

I checked the connections to the battery POS & NEG and the grounds. I dont think its a battery or charging issue, but u never know, its always the simplest things. I just never dealt with a SEVERE problem like this from a bad battery or loose ground.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:19 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I had similar issues with my '05 GT and it turned out to be my battery. Replaced it and the issue went away.

Hope your fix is that simple
Old 04-16-2010, 06:13 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah these things act like they're possessed when the battery goes bad. I'd take it out and have it checked.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Sounds like a lose or corroded battery terminal to me...

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Weird S*** with my car