Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question to HID owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:04 AM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

Default Question to HID owners

So i put in my HID's the other day and they work perfectly. But i have a question about "start-up". When i get in my car to leave for work in the morning i turn my headlights on and they are real bright and then fade real quick to as dull as my stockers that i just replaced. What could i look for that might be doing this or does this happen to everyone?

Last edited by Topless06; 04-19-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless06
So i put in my HID's the other day and they work perfectly. But i have a question about "start-up". When i get in my car to leave for work in the morning i turn my headlights on and they are real bright and then fade real quick to as dull as my stockers that i just replaced. What could i look for that might be doing this or does this happen to everyone?
hmm.. well on initial start up the bulbs warm up and vary in temp and color while warming. within a few seconds (5-10) they should be at the operating temp for the one you bought, but they should NOT be getting dimmer... they start off very bright for a split second, then get very dim and warm there way up and as they warm up they only get brighter and brighter until it's at full potential. i would make sure your bulbs aren't defective.

most HID kits use less energy then the stock bulbs but if there's anything to check, just check your positive connection and make sure its a good one as well as the ground.

Other then that make sure if you did any splicing or had and plugs that they are all secured tightly.

depending on your kit, some have different power settings, (35 watt setting and 55 watt setting) i highly doubt this could even be the issue as they should never be dimmer then your stock bulbs thats for sure..
Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Allstar
i would make sure your bulbs aren't defective.
How would i check that? They work just not as bright as i thought they would be.

When i get home ill put the car in the garage and take a video of what it is doing. Maybe i am just overreacting.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 AM
yzf29
1st Gear Member

The HIDs on my Bullitt always went bright then settled into a lower intensity after I turned them on. Did it from day one.

Did the GT500 conversion- so now they are in a box in the shed.

My experience- FWIW
Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Pony123
2nd Gear Member

Not too sure.. you may need a capicitor..

i installed my HIDs and they work fine. When i turn them on takes about 1 min to warn up then they are about 100 x stronger then my stock
Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

How would i check that? They work just not as bright as i thought they would be.

When i get home ill put the car in the garage and take a video of what it is doing. Maybe i am just overreacting.

take a video for me.. it may be hard to tell from a video but it's better then nothing.

HID's should NEVER be dimmer then your stock mustang bulbs. Unless there a crap off brand.

Are they actual HID's? or are they the "HID" bulbs that are still halogens?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

They are HID kits from Retro-solutions. I have the one for the fog lights aswell and i dont wanna put those in untill i figure out what the problem is.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 AM
ploe

Originally Posted by yzf29
The HIDs on my Bullitt always went bright then settled into a lower intensity after I turned them on. Did it from day one.
+1 my stock HIDs do that too
Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

They are HID kits from Retro-solutions. I have the one for the fog lights aswell and i dont wanna put those in untill i figure out what the problem is.
I have the 55 watt 8000k bi-xenon HID's from them and they are WAY brighter then stock..

Make sure your bulbs are in the right way, if yours are bi-xenon you may have your bulbs in upside down and may be shining up and there for not getting the ground much appearing to light up not as much as the halogen bulbs.

Originally Posted by ploe
+1 my stock HIDs do that too
All real HID's have this "boot-up" period.. but they should NOT be getting Dimmer...
Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 PM
pinche_maniaco
1st Gear Member

maybe bad ballast? id start with checking with my connections, i had my R.H. HID go out turned out it was a bad connection, its always something simple.

Quick Reply: Question to HID owners