Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack Stand Location At Rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:01 PM
sdonaghey
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy Jack Stand Location At Rear

Hi,

I have to look at putting the car up on jack stands as I sold my wheels and now the ones I want Steeda Spyders, are on a major back order of 2 months, so I have no wheels.

I have seen pictures of jacks stands on the rear in front of the LCA's, but I am not sure exactly is the right spot. Do I put a piece of wood there for the car to sit on the before hitting the jack stand. It seems to be a soft spot, as I tried it out once, and I started to hear some creaks and crackles, so I decided against doing that.

I don't want to put them on the rear axle tube for that length of time, so I think this is the best option.

Anyone have some good pictures of stands at these locations?

Sean
Old 04-21-2010, 01:31 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

When I'm working on my car I put mine under the axle tubes. I place them right under where the rear springs are and I haven't had any problems.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

+1; putting them under the axle tubes is a good location.
For farther forward, I'll use the solid part of the frame near the front of the LCA's.
Past the axle, I've placed taller stands under the frame near the mufflers, if there's room and if the stands can sit properly under the frame.
Don't put them on the LCA's themselves, nor on any weak part underneath!

All depends where the jack is and what it is I'm doing, too. If I want the car on its full ride weight or need the axle in its normal position, I'll put the stands under the axle; if I need the axle as low as possible, I'll put them under the frame.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:10 PM
sdonaghey
2nd Gear Member

Hey thanks for the guidance. I really appreicate everyones input.

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
+1; putting them under the axle tubes is a good location.
For farther forward, I'll use the solid part of the frame near the front of the LCA's.
Past the axle, I've placed taller stands under the frame near the mufflers, if there's room and if the stands can sit properly under the frame.
Don't put them on the LCA's themselves, nor on any weak part underneath!

All depends where the jack is and what it is I'm doing, too. If I want the car on its full ride weight or need the axle in its normal position, I'll put the stands under the axle; if I need the axle as low as possible, I'll put them under the frame.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:05 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

the axle is always a safe point. you can lift it from the center pumpkin to lift the whole rear at once then you can put the jack stands under where the springs are like what's already been mentioned. just watch out for the rear diff cover and don't let the lift catch that or you could mess something up.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

You can safely support the rear of the car from the axle tubes (I'd go as far toward the ends as you can) or along the rocker panel just in front of the rear tires. There is a notch in the rocker cover just like at the front where you'd use the scissor jack for changing a flat. Either of those locations is a proper support area.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

as said above. the axle is my #1 choice

if not then the rear rocker pannels where the car jack fits in.

as for jacking up from the diff....at work, its a HUGE no no
on my car, i do it but i put a block of wood on the end of my jack so the wood bends and splits, not my differential housing.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 AM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Chris, where do you jack the rear at with the block? I've only raised mine up once, and that was to install the rear sway and links. I just had gears and cover installed, so I don't want to jack it up. Did you do it on the flat spot just behind the differential cover?
Old 04-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Tpjb57

when I put my car on the two post lift the rear arms go under the factory lift notch at the body or inder the rear control arm bracket. since I lowered the car I have to drive it up on 3" of wood to be able to get the lift arms under the front.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:16 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Mustang Jack Points for the S197
Attached Thumbnails Jack Stand Location At Rear-mustangjackpoints.jpg  

Quick Reply: Jack Stand Location At Rear