Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GT check your TPMS system if works

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Default 2010 GT check your TPMS system if works

Since I'm going with some new after market wheels with TPMS installed by the seller, I wanted to make sure the stock wheels that have them in there were working first cuz once you switch that wheel Ford may give you hard time if you report putting in nmew TPMS's in new wheels. So with all my wheels off, up oin jack stands I got in car and started.....gauge checked show TPMS light works, but went out no warning came on, I understand they warning will come on if you put spare on even....so no big deal, rolled stock wheel up to wheel well and started car, no warning after gauge check went out, so I let air out of front left tire to 15 pounds, no warning...ok no big deal again, put all the damn wheels back on, drove 12 miles with 15 Lbs in frony left, no warning....now wondering if they were in there...my Mustang club bud is manager at tire store, took there, he got out tool, yep they are installed, read the Pressure, temp and indicated there was a 315 Mhz sensor in wheel, so drove home on 18 lbs air, no warning.....now before I put new wheels on here I sit at Ford dealer awaiting what they can tell me...I have had my computer flashed since I have a JLT CAI and a 87 tune but Ford and the speed shop that does the tunes and dynos says that does not have anything to do with not allowing TPMS not working....I know a while back FastDEW tested his TPMS. the valve stem looks like anyother rubber one now so don't think you don't have cuz not metal looking as after market onces look, FastDEW just let a little air out of tire in driveway and it came on and I'm sure he has a tune as well as much as he's done on his car...anyone else experiencing this? I'll let you know what Ford says once I hear from them...at dealer waiting now.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Mine work perfectly. Set tire at 25 psi. Start car and drive 1 mi without cutting the engine off. Bingo!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

You mean let air out, so had 25 #'s and warning came on?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

It dont work like that.
First, your stang must be rolling to have
the TPMS sensors report any
telemetry to the SJB about pressures...

There is no way to disable the Govt Mandated TPMS system with a tuner.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:42 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I'll buy that but as I said " I know a while back FastDEW tested his TPMS. the valve stem looks like anyother rubber one now so don't think you don't have cuz not metal looking as after market onces look, FastDEW just let a little air out of tire in driveway and it came on" plus I let the air out to 15#'s drove 12 miles + and no light and at Ford now for last hour, they can not train them even hooked up to computer, so still waiting, they is something wrong , especially since last last guy said he dropped to 25# and lit up? Right like I said Tuner did not disable so Ford can't give me guff on that I meant.

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 04-27-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:30 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Some additioanl notes I found on American Muscle site, says has to be moving...Here it is...as of right now Ford still not able to tell me if working or not?

When this is lit, your tires are under-inflated, and need to be inflated to the correct tire pressure. You should check your tires as soon as possible after this light comes on, even if it goes off a short time later.

It is important to note that your car will not warn you about low tire pressure as soon as you start your car. Your car has to be moving at least 20 MPH (32 km/h) for two minutes before it will register that there is a problem.

If you need to use your spare tire, the TPMS system will continue to warn you that there is a problem with the road tire until you repair the tire and place it back on your car. The TPMS system will become fully functional again, only when you have repaired and remounted the wheel/tire on your car.

After putting air into your tires, the TPMS will not respond immediately to the air you have added. You will need to drive your car for two minutes, moving faster than 20 MPH (32 km/h) for the light to turn off after you have filled your tires to the recommended inflation pressure.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:07 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

At bottom of this website you will see what TPMS for 2010 looks like, thus why we see a Rubber valve stem and not metal...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Musta...-/140392899828
Old 04-27-2010, 01:32 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Ford driving now, says 2010 must drive to Train? But just got off phone with 10Stang, he had same wheels I have on now, but he went to Godspeed wheelsa as I am doing, he told me if your tire is low or you are using wheels with no TPMS installed, you have to be driving 45 mins for the warning to come on, so seeing that everywhere I drive is 30 mins or less, I guess not a timing issue, have to be moving for 45 mins I would not know if low or not or not working, so I will wait til they get done driving and see what gives, if I reduce air press. by 10 lbs to 22 lbs should come on after 45 mins driving I guess, we'll see, thanks Tom.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:21 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

UPDATE: This does not pretain to 2010 and above Mustangs>>>>>It is important to note that your car will not warn you about low tire pressure as soon as you start your car. Your car has to be moving at least 20 MPH (32 km/h) for two minutes before it will register that there is a problem.

2010>>>>I have only rotated and balanced my wheels since had car, Ford tech says that will not UNTRAIN them....my TPMS's may have never been trained they said, the reason they had hard time training today was car had sat in shop for 30 mins+ if you are going to train per instructions listed in previous posts you need to drive car around block to wake up the sensors, then on 2010 you can use the $30 tool from Ford but don't do the 180 degree method, that are for 2007 to 2009, ours have valve stem sensors so you hold the device by the stem. then do the training....if you want to test here's how I tested after they got mine trained. I let 12 lbs air out of rear tire, drove about 10 to 15 mins, came on, not 2 mins, not 45 that others have reported, but 10 to 15, stayed on all way home....Speedometer had the orange symbol, the tach side said Low tire pressure, once got home aired it up, started and no warning. It won't indicate if you see tire low in driveway, but will after 10 to 15 mins of driving, so tested it out hope helps 2010 owners....Now I know works ready for my new wheels and sensors this week. I have the Ford tool.

Procedure to train 2010:

Drive car for about 10 mins, then start the procedure on next line to wake up sensors.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
Press and release the brake pedal.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool must remain next valve stem.

Place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the LF tire valve stem. Press and release the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB.

Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the RF the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 04-27-2010 at 08:31 PM.