Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my keys!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:39 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default Lost my keys!

So I lost my keys and now I'm looking to replace them. I'm left with one key & fob. I called a Ford dealer and they wanted $238 for the key, key fob, and programming. That's insane! Has anyone replaced a lost key and key fob elswhere besides the dealer? Would those kiosks in the malls be able to program a key with only one key & fob?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunately you need two keys available to do the programming yourself. With only one available, the dealer will have to do it.

That's why I invested in a third key; to avoid this if I ever lose one.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

$238.......not a good day.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

damn thats alot for a key sorry good luck
Old 04-30-2010, 04:22 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

No kiosk or the theives would get a job at the kiosk and
then where would we be.
At least Ford locks their programming equipment up at night, thank the lord...

You are at the mercy of Ford if you only have one key.
Those that now have two, get some off eBay and have them
cut for cheap and do the programming yo self before the
"I lost my keys" day comes for you....

I have 4 keys and 4 RKE transmitters
along with the magnet / reed swicth door unlocker mod...
I always carry a spare with me cus the PATS system is a
BIATCH to bypass in an emergency and I dont walk anywhere...

Key Programming — Additional Key With One Programmed Key
NOTE: This procedure is used when a customer needs to have an additional key programmed into the vehicle without erasing stored key codes, but does not have 2 programmed keys available. This procedure is also useful when attempting to determine if an ignition key is defective, as a new key can be installed without erasing keys or without having 2 programmed keys available.
the only way to program another key with just 1 key is by plugging it in to the Worldwide Diagnostic System computer and reprogramming, this way it will not erase the code to your hidden key.

Key Programming — Program a Key Using Two Programmed Keys
if you have to programmed keys available then you can program additional keys without taking it to the dealer.
NOTE: This procedure works only if 2 or more programmed ignition keys are available and additional programmed key(s) are desired.

if you can find your hidden key you can program additional keys yourself and save about $110.00 for programming which is what our service department charges.

Insert a programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (maintain the ignition switch in the RUN position for 3 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds).
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the first key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition switch to the OFF position, insert a second programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (maintain the ignition switch in the RUN position for 3 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds).
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the second key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition switch to the OFF position, insert the unprogrammed ignition key (new key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (attempt to start the vehicle).
If additional programmed key(s) are desired, repeat the key programming procedure.
Attached Thumbnails Lost my keys!-keys.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 04-30-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

pshsh ur in a better position then me.. i have a viper 5900 system installed.. i had to pay 110$ to get my second key.. it was on a keychain with my viper remote (170$).. i lost them while sledding.. so basically i just lost my alarm system for now and my 300$ set of keys
Old 04-30-2010, 05:06 PM
keester
2nd Gear Member

Default Key

I just paid $90 for a key and programming at a ford dealer. No fob. Previous owner could only find 1 key.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:39 PM
JimC

I only paid $83 for the key and programming at my local dealer. The key fob is easy and if you have one on hand you can program another one easily so just buy one cheap off eBay.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

Ill help you find them, im in san jose! No im jk but what ford dealer did you ask? Frontier ford charges like $25.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

eBay is your deliverance for cheap keys that work...but it will take the Dealership for the programming.

here is a write-up I did a while back. Hopefully it answers all of your questions

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...pats-info.html

Quick Reply: Lost my keys!