Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Tuner and JLT Intake today

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Default Installed Tuner and JLT Intake today

I read all the forum reviews and finally made the purchase. Well, I'm more than happy with it, and the power difference is unbelievable. Right as I touched the throttle going into reverse I realized how different it was.

Alright, well that's the good. I have a few questions to make sure everything is ok.

1. Car takes a second or so of hesitation to actually start, did not do that prior to tune
2. As I let off of the gas, lets say 2,000 rpms, it sticks there for a couple seconds, and may go up a couple hundred rpms as my foot is already on the clutch, than drop to relatively normal rpms.
3. Start is a litte strange, it starts at about 1000rpms, than goes to 700 almost instantly, and than slowly goes up, and when it warms up than drops back down.
4. Idle sometimes is at 600, other times 800, other times 750, it is very sporadic.

I have the 91 Race Tune uploaded, although I have 93octane gas currently in the car, I made a mistake ordering the tune. The car has less than 25 miles with these new parts, so should I give it time so the computer can "learn?" I just don't want to have catastrophic engine failure.

Oh, I ordered from American Muscle by the way. Thanks to all that help.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:46 AM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Anyone have any input?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

How many miles have you put on the car since installing the tune? What you mention sounds typical of a PCM that's early in the adaptive learning process. I'd give it a few dozen miles of varying types of driving and, if it persists, call your tuner for input.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:50 AM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Under 25 miles. That is what I thought the issue was, but since I have never had any experience with a tuner before, I really have no prior experience. Thanks a lot Nuke.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:33 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

I've never had any issues with tunes like this before. Weird.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 AM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Really?

Anyone else have any other input? I just received a new tune from Chris Rose, I will upload it today and see if the same symptoms happen.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I have the same CAI / tuner combo. I also put mine on with about 400 miles on the car. There is an "adaptive learning process" like Nuke stated. However, you may want to go back and make sure all of your worm clamps are tight, and your MAF sensor is tight and in the right direction ( I am not sure, but I think it may only fit one way). Also make sure your boot did not roll the lip going into the throttle body. Those are just a few "quick checks", but it seems like you are hearing yout IAC valve doing what it is supposed to do to me.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

MAF's only flow one way so that is a good thing to double check. typically there's an arrow pointing in the direction of the airflow would would be away from the filter towards the motor.

you can always reload the tune, see if that makes a difference. if you're still not happy then talk to who you got the tune from and tell them what's happening. if it's not right then they should be able to send you an updated tune and fix it for you.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:31 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

My warm up is similar. May go as high as 1500 rpm on a really cold morning but will drop to 1000 rpm and can dip a little below but i usually start driving by then.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:15 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate all of the advice.

I would have had Chris's tune already loaded to see if that would make a difference, but I have a Mac, and the other PC is not working. So I will need to figure something out.

Quick Reply: Installed Tuner and JLT Intake today