Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GT vs 2011 V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Allentown
I agree. However Ford is deceptive in their reporting. A 10gt w 3.31 gears takes closer to 5.5 seconds to get to 60. So if you believe that 5.1 number, wl take from it what you will

A 10 gt w track pack is very capable of beating an ss automatic in a drag race, just not the manuals w good drivers.
I can attest to that possiblity, I have an 08 auto (fully stock) and hung with an SS Stick until about 60-70, he started to walk away at that point. I was manushifting mind you to get off the line quicker without spinnin'. The stock slush box program is way too low on the tranny pressure for a decent launch. You either crawl off to keep from spinning or you hammer it and end up wheel hopping.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:46 PM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by squirrel502
On a side note,

Anyone else feeling a little heartbroken with there current stangs and the clear HP difference between the 10 and 11?

I know for myself, I wasnt concerned about the difference between the 09 and 10. 15hp is a w/e. but that 100hp difference in 1 year makes me want to cry in my pillow.

Wonder how long before someone drops that 5.0 coyote into there 05-09 stangs.
thats what superchargers are for
Old 05-07-2010, 11:25 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Until I drive one I wont make a comment.. Back in 2000 the Mustang GT were worth 21K. Easily attainable... Now they are out of hand.. 30K is not easily attainable. Some simply cannot afford a 5.0... 13.6 at 104 MPH is something. I also believe this car has way more potential than the 350z.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:44 PM
muzzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by squirrel502
On a side note,

Anyone else feeling a little heartbroken with there current stangs and the clear HP difference between the 10 and 11?

I know for myself, I wasnt concerned about the difference between the 09 and 10. 15hp is a w/e. but that 100hp difference in 1 year makes me want to cry in my pillow.

Wonder how long before someone drops that 5.0 coyote into there 05-09 stangs.
Hi, there is always something faster. That is what they build all the mods for. My car is a 2v motor and I’m not ready to jump ship yet and by the new 5.0. I like working on my car and I would have a hard time doing that to a new car. I’m going to wait a couple of years and see what comes out, but for now my list of mods will just keep on growing and I will keep up so let’s line them up and run what you brung.
Thanx-Muzzy 04 S281SC Convertible #355
42#
JLT cold air
JDM SCT 93 oct tune
90mm maf
75mm TB
Ported and Polished SC by PSE
Mosaleen pulley sys
Gaterback belt
NGK tr6 @034
2.9 pulley
Chicane ss braded IC lines
Carbon fiber dash kit and shift ****
1 bottle of water wetter (haha)
Old 05-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Originally Posted by GTjoe49
I think the '11 V6 is a different pony altogether. All the initial road tests I have read say the same thing, the power band on the V6 is in the upper rpm range, 4200-7000. This means you have to keep the motor humming in that range to squeek out any significant enjoyment. This is similar to, say, Honda's Vtec motors. The 6-speed manual is a must for this type of driving and it can be a lot of fun, but you do cause a fuss when you do. A Mustang attracts a lot of attention as it is, you do not need more attention by keeping the motor revved to 4000+ rpm's. This might cause the V6 to acually be called more of a driver's car when properly outfitted. I cannot see the auto doing the proper job of keeping the motor in the power band. Like Honda's Vtec, when you just drive around town, you do not get a sense of power. I would imagine an auto '11 V6 will feel very much like a '10 V6 to the average Avis customer.

The GT, on the other hand, has gobs of low end power and with the auto or manual, you have instant go in a wide power band.

A GT owner who buys a '11 V6 I think would be surprised at just how different his new car is, whereas a V6 owner going to a GT would be much more pleasantly surprised.

I do agree that the new V6 is a good addition to the stable and will attract some buyers that would normally buy offshore.
very much this

with the car getting 30mpg (reported) hwy, 2.73s, and 55 less peak tq

im sure its still a fantastic car, but as always, base-model to base-model, the GT will be more powerful all around than the v6, even if it is a year older

horsepower sells cars, torque wins races

also, theres no real way to advertise area under the curve
Old 05-08-2010, 08:08 AM
2011STANG

There may be some customers that can only afford to purchase the v6 wishing they could afford the v8, but a suspect that to be a small population of people. v6 owners are not looking-for/need the power of the v8.

I have always been the type to purchase fully equipped model of a car then to go with the base model of another make at the same price point. That is why I purchased my 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Premium over a base BMW. I could never purchase a v6 anything when a v8 option is available - that's just me.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 PM
muzzy
1st Gear Member

I could see my wife in a fully loaded convertible. That would be a nice driver for a hot summer day or night. I don’t need the power all the time and I would consider one. Just a nice driver.
Thanx-Muzzy 04 S281SC Convertible #355
42#
JLT cold air
JDM SCT 93 oct tune
90mm maf
75mm TB
Ported and Polished SC by PSE
Mosaleen pulley sys
Gaterback belt
NGK tr6 @034
2.9 pulley
Chicane ss braded IC lines
Carbon fiber dash kit and shift ****
1 bottle of water wetter (haha)
69 Dodge dart 418ci fast!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:57 PM
gipht1
2nd Gear Member

It all depends who gets their hands on it! If the usual soccer mom gets one then it's potential will be wasted! Now if a fellow enthusiast that just couldn't pony-up for a GT gets one, then I can see it would be a fun car to drive. I personally hated seeing stock sixers driving around and since mines looked and sounded really nice, I would always get the question, "Is that a V8?'' and that ate me up! I couldn't see myself getting blown by a mom with two kids with a 11 v6, even after I had done work on my 10v6. So I took advantage of the 0% apr from Ford and got the GT! Can honestly say I can't see myself going back but that V6 will always have a special place on my book!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:27 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

for a domestic a V6 will always be 2nd place compared to a V8 no matter what the power the V6 makes. mainly just because whatever the power the V6 makes the V8 is gonna make more, and more is always better

the new V6 is the first V6 mustang to make decent power but nobody would pick the V6 over the V8 with the price being the same.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

I can agree with what everyone is saying, at least no one is saying the 6 is a complete waste of time. It's a matter of priorities. If you want a sporty yet a efficient DD the 2011 V6 is perfect for that, and hopefully it accepts enough mods for you to have a little more fun if you eventually decide to go that route. Ford's already put more love into it than previous V6's if you just look at the suspension and transmission

Quick Reply: 2010 GT vs 2011 V6