Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Lightnings Whipple Dyno Session

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 PM
white_lightning
2nd Gear Member

Default White Lightnings Whipple Dyno Session

3.625 pulley on Whipple HO system showed 8.25 psi on the dyno.

386.8rwhp@5800 rpm
390.6twtq@4400rpm
11.7 A/F

This is on a Mustang Dyno. Thought the number might be a little bit higher. But i'm still happy.Extremely driveable tune and a broad power curve.

I'll keep it at this level for this summer, then crank up the boost next year maybe...now I just have to wait until Friday to see how fast I can cover 1320 feet

Last edited by white_lightning; 05-11-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Flying5.0
1st Gear Member

Nice numbers man. Let us know how well she does on the strip.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Great numbers and like you said on the more realistic Mustang dyno. So many guys love the higher non real numbers of the dynojet. Hey we will see you tomorrow night. Oh our numbers are close with me just a tad higher but with your numbers-that's great.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 AM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

from what I understand the dynojet actually gives a more accurate measurement than a mustang dyno.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
from what I understand the dynojet actually gives a more accurate measurement than a mustang dyno.
Oh Boy, now you've started something again (LOL) ...!!
Actually, some will say the opposite..!! Dynojet will give you 13-15% higher numbers if that's what you are looking for, while a mustang Dyno will give you the more real and accurate numbers... I'm sure others here will fill-in the technical reasons why.....

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 05-12-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:31 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Neither of them are more accurate than the track.

Enjoy your new whipple!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:36 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

congrats lightning, very respectable numbers.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the a/f is right there.
numbers are numbers. how it performs over time is what really counts.
congratulations on the new SC!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:58 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT E UPP
Oh Boy, now you've started something again (LOL) ...!!
Actually, some will say the opposite..!! Dynojet will give you 13-15% higher numbers if that's what you are looking for, while a mustang Dyno will give you the more real and accurate numbers... I'm sure others here will fill-in the technical reasons why.....
lol, the Dynojet came first so the mustang dyno is wrong

I prefer the dynojet since it's not trying to calculate other variables like road loads. to me that's just more calculations and room for error. I'd rather stick to the dynojet that's only calculating the measured WHP and not applying more variables and calculations to what's measured. plus there's no user entered variables like weight or anything to mess up or purposely skew the numbers which sketchy shops will do. but when properly setup up they both will give reliable and repeatable numbers so they're both just as "good" for tuning and measuring power with, in the end it's preference.

back to the OP, those are good numbers for a mustang dyno, congrats! it's nice to be boosted are you on whipple's tune? I've heard there's a lot of power to be gained by using someone else's tune over the whipple tune since they're really conservative. if the 11.7:1 AF ratio reading is from a tailpipe sniffer then you're definitely running very rich. usually the sniffers read about 1 point leaner than what the motor is really doing, especially if you still have cats.

have fun!
Old 05-12-2010, 01:58 PM
white_lightning
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
lol, the Dynojet came first so the mustang dyno is wrong

I prefer the dynojet since it's not trying to calculate other variables like road loads. to me that's just more calculations and room for error. I'd rather stick to the dynojet that's only calculating the measured WHP and not applying more variables and calculations to what's measured. plus there's no user entered variables like weight or anything to mess up or purposely skew the numbers which sketchy shops will do. but when properly setup up they both will give reliable and repeatable numbers so they're both just as "good" for tuning and measuring power with, in the end it's preference.

back to the OP, those are good numbers for a mustang dyno, congrats! it's nice to be boosted are you on whipple's tune? I've heard there's a lot of power to be gained by using someone else's tune over the whipple tune since they're really conservative. if the 11.7:1 AF ratio reading is from a tailpipe sniffer then you're definitely running very rich. usually the sniffers read about 1 point leaner than what the motor is really doing, especially if you still have cats.

have fun!
I believe this dyno method used a tailsniffer, and yes its a custom tune. At this particualr dyno the operaor told me on average they would see a 14% higher number over at a competitors dyno which is a dynojet. I'm not so much worried about the number, more about safety on my stock short block.

2 things are for sure. It's fast; and I can't wait to hit the track. Also just for my own comparison I may hit up the dynojet just to see for myself what the number would be...but again numbers are only compareable on the same dyno on the same day otherwise people like to get into a "junk" measuring contest.

Last edited by white_lightning; 05-12-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: White Lightnings Whipple Dyno Session