Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a supercharger REALLY worth all the money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:11 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Is a supercharger REALLY worth all the money?

Well, I start my internship on Monday, so I've been toying with the idea of saving up and going FI. I haven't made any performance mods to my car, so I don't know if the basic bolt-ons will curb my appetite, or is a blower in my future?

I just don't know if I can justify spending $XXXX.XX on a blower, whereas I could allocate that money to stocks or something more long-term. I don't plan on keeping this car forever, possibly just the next few years. It has about 85k miles on it, so it won't last forever. I'm 19 right now, I'll have the rest of my life to have nice toys. Should I just spend a little less and settle for gears/tune and make some responsible financial investments, or have a fun toy?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 PM
top00cat
2nd Gear Member

Honestly, if you want power go straight for the blower. I wish I would have
Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

I know nothing about SC's, but I'll give you my financial perspective of it.

The question is whether or not money in your pocket brings your more joy than material possessions. What I mean by this is, would you be happier driving around an even cooler car than you would be knowing that you did something smart with the money?

To me, and I'm young so I'm somewhat immature, I prefer material possessions. I would be happier driving around an awesome car and getting complements on it than I would be with the money I could have saved on a normal car in my pocket. The joy of owning this machine is worth it to me.

Now, there is a line where I'm not willing to go. I mean, I think the decision that has to be made is whether or not the supercharger will make the car that much more fun to drive. Enough to warrant the money spent on it. I think you'll need to hear from others on that subject.

How happy are you with the car as it is? Do you really want that much more power?

All things to consider...
Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Really depends on how much money you have and what percentage of that you'd have to spend on a blower. At 19, dropping 5k on a blower setup would have HURT, simply because I was in college and couldn't afford it. That said, I was driving a 66 GMC with a fuel injected Corvette motor that I probably spent over 5k building since I was 16 lol. I'm 25 now, and fortunately just started a great job that pays me enough to do what I want with a car, but I can still look back and appreciate that from 19 onward, I was pretty careful with money. At 22/23 I was able to sell the truck, and had saved enough (plus a little help) to buy a 97 M3. From then on, I took care of the car, didn't mod it, and when I sold it, I sold it for a few grand less than I bought it, but a few years older and ~50k miles later. The money I didn't spend modding the car was money that I didn't lose out on when I sold it.

If you're going to be selling the car within the next year or so, just leave it alone. If you have to do something, do gears as that will give you the fun-factor, but without the monetary ding.

To make a long answer longer . . .

Like I said before, it really depends on your financial situation as it varies quite a bit at that age.

If it were me, I'd save now, and play in a few years once you have everything set.

Edit: I guess a good way to put it is yes, they are worth it, but only if you can REALLY afford it .

Last edited by siggyfreud; 05-13-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Okay, let me explain my financial situation a bit more. As of now, I have $0.00 in savings. My school is completely paid for, via scholerships, plus enough to cover living costs and everything. Every semester, I get about $4k back after books, tuition, fees, University apartment bills and everything. I'm going to be making $15 an hour at Welspun Pipes, plus overtime. I can work, in essence, however much I want. I'm looking at 4-12-hour days, putting me at 48 hours a week. After some tax-math, I'm planning to get about $1,100 every two weeks.

The money's there, I think. But, at this point in time, should that money be used for something else?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Is a blow job really worth getting?? The answer to both are YES!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:39 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Well I'd definitely wait a few months to see how much work you're averaging and how much you have left over after bills are paid. $1100 every two weeks can seem like a lot, but it goes quick lol. Is that $1100 AFTER taxes? I received my first check from this job a few weeks back and saw that I get $740 taken outta my pay for taxes every 2 weeks. Blew me away. That used to be what I made in a month during my college jobs.

ONLY if you can REALLY afford it!!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:43 PM
cvLegend2be
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
as soon as i saw this thread, I knew a comment like this was coming hahaha
Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Come on, Cutter, I'm in college. I've learned this already.

Siggy, those numbers are just rough estimates based off a 20% tax-rape. This was nothing more than a random number, but that $1,100 is after that 20% is taken out. It could very well be more, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was. However, I'm living with my parents this summer, so no bills. And I don't have to worry about car payments due to a deal I worked out with them: Rather than making payments, I would give them a large lump sum at the beginning of each semester and last year's internship pay to help them out with whatever they needed.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:54 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I'm getting 27% taken out . . . it hurts but I should get a nice check back later on. If nothing else, just wait a month or two and make sure the money you're expecting is the money you get. Nothing worse than pre-spending a paycheck, only to see that its not what you expected it to be.

BTW Cutter, once my car is done I'm gonna give your signature a run for its money . It's pretty cool btw .

Quick Reply: Is a supercharger REALLY worth all the money?