Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Irregular Oil Reading?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:58 PM
056er
1st Gear Member

Default Irregular Oil Reading?

So today i changed the oil in my 05 v6, i removed the plug drained the oil, i then put the plug back in and went to add the new oil. The v6 is supposed to take five quarts but i put each quart in then let it sit measured the level and added more if need be so i would not overfill. Once the levels checked out i decided to drive home from my grandparents (where oil change was done) its only about a five minute drive, if that. On the way the car starts to accelerate irregularly so as soon as i make it home i check under to see if there are any leaks which i found none, i then check the oil level with the dipstick and its reading way above the max? I decide to let it sit for about half an hour and check it again and still it reads way above. I then drain some oil from the pan let it sit and check the level again, yet it still reads the same level way above the max? i have no clue whats going on. any info is appreciated
Old 05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First, did you change the filter? The filter holds maybe 1/4 quart or so of oil. Also, was the car level? And did you allow plenty of time for the old oil to drain? I usually wait until it hardly drips any more which could take about 15-30 minutes, depending on temperature. Other than those, there's no reason why 5 quarts would overfill a V6 4.0L.

Some guy on a Toyota forum did an oil change, or so he thought, and ended up adding motor oil to his tranny fill tube. Are you sure you're checking the right dipstick? (I'm sure you are. Just had to throw that out there...)
Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM
056er
1st Gear Member

no i did not change the oil filter, i change it every other oil change so i just dropped the old oil, this is why i was adding a quart at a time knowing the filter holds some oil and ya the oil was dripping for a good while i even had something to eat while i was letting it drain, so it was a good twenty minutes. I have followed this same procedure in the past and the car has ran great. I am now stuck because i let some of the oil drain but with these irregular readings i dont know if i now need oil or am still above the max?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:08 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Are you sure you drained the oil and not the transmission fluid? Quite a few people have made that mistake.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:10 PM
056er
1st Gear Member

im pretty sure it was the oil as i have done this before on the same car with no problems.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 PM
056er
1st Gear Member

update: after letting the car sit almost all day the fluid level for the oil checks out i dont know wat was going on with that i guess it needed extra long to settle. But as far as the odd acceleration problems i believe it is the transmission pan it seems to have a slow leak there is some condensation on the bottom of the pan near the plug, im having it checked it out tommorrow.....i think it was just my luck that all these things happened at the same time leading me in all these different directions lol
Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Well, if you didn't replace the filter, that's obviously why it's overfull. It doesnt matter how long you let it drain, the oil in the filter stays there. They can hold nearly half a quart...

Do it right if you're going to do it. Replace the filter every time
Old 05-19-2010, 12:26 AM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

What? Change the oil and leave the filter there? I could may be understand the other way with expensive synthetic oil but why would you do that? IMHO filter is even more important that the oil!?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:29 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ym42
What? Change the oil and leave the filter there? I could may be understand the other way with expensive synthetic oil but why would you do that? IMHO filter is even more important that the oil!?
I kink of agree but will go one step further and say change both as it's cheap cheap cheap. My change costs 112.00 and for piece of mind that's cheap
Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
I kink of agree but will go one step further and say change both as it's cheap cheap cheap. My change costs 112.00 and for piece of mind that's cheap
HUH? Even putting in Amsoil and using the expensive Amsoil Ea filter, my oil changes cost me about $50. And using 6 quarts of M1 and an M1 filter in my SUV only costs about $38. How the heck can an oil change cost you $112????

Sorry. Off-topic.

Quick Reply: Irregular Oil Reading?