Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Fender Bender - Ideas on cost to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
pwrl3ss
2nd Gear Member

Default Fender Bender - Ideas on cost to fix?

Hi all,

Sorry this may be long but here's my story : some a-hole today cut in front of me on the highway today hurting my baby. The guy claimed I hit him in the rear as he was trying to switch lanes (without signaling and driving really aggressively). This guy was driving cutting everybody off in traffic. He almost took out a barrier and another driver at an exit ramp. He was in the far right lane, got stuck in slow traffic. So he cut back into my lane behind me and I slowed down. I guess he didn't like that because then he decided to dash over to the right again in order to pass me and got stuck behind the slow traffic again. He then got on my butt again, I slowed down (I did not brake), he swung over to the left lane, speed up and then cut me off, with his rear tire hitting my left front fender. I could not turn left or right because of traffic, and I did not react in time to hit the brakes because he did it pretty quick. So we pull over to the side and I yelled at him what the h3ll is your problem? He instantly says I hit him and that it was my fault. I told him he did not signal and he cut me off and it was not a leisurely move into the lane; he basically threw his truck into my path. He told me to F-off and I responded accordingly. Now here's the thing, when I asked him for his insurance info, he claimed he did not have any of it in his truck and that he could call me with it later. SURE. Not playing that BS game, I called the cops. During the whole time we were waiting for them to show, he kept on saying that "we" should not get them involved because of DMV would record it and the insurance rates would go up. I told him, hey you don't have your insurance card, I'm not taking any chances with you denying the accident or your fault (which he still claimed was not his fault). He kept on insisting I took my car and purposely hit him. Anyways, magically his insurance card appeared, before the cops got there. By the time I got his info written down, the state troopers showed up. The cop listen to both sides of the story and concluded he could not determine who was at fault since there was a lack of witnesses (there were, but no one stopped). So no official report would be generated and DMV would not be notified of the accident.

So now I'm left with a damaged fender and scratched wheel. I filed a claim with my insurance and they said they would try to go after him, but they told me in all honesty that if he still disputes doing any wrong, there might not be much they can do.

The damage is not that "bad" but still a shop will have to fix it and I might be paying out of pocket since my deduct is $1k. So, looking at the pics, (I know there are some body peeps here) how much am I looking at in getting this fixed? It drives straight and I don't believe there was any damage to anything else other than the fender. If I pull the fender and try to straighten the lip and fill it, would that save me some $$$? I have done some minor body work on my 68, but I'm no pro and I don't paint. Or would I be better off getting a new fender?

Thanks for reading my vent...

Last edited by pwrl3ss; 05-20-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

A friend's wife accidentally hit my rear fender and I had to get it fixed. We did not go through insurance, due to me knowing them personally and them being very trustworthy people. It was close to $1,200 at the Ford dealership for the repair. They replaced the fender and matched the paint.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-20-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Cheaper, easier, and faster to just replace the fender. Dont even bother trying to repair that one. Because your car is silver you may be able to just get a new fender painted and install it yourself without having to worry about blending. Just be sure to tape up the edges of the fender and door during install so you dont scratch em.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:33 AM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to here about your accident. Sounds like the other guy was a real ahole.

I was in an accident not to long ago and decided to order the parts to repair myself because I could get them cheaper than what the body shop was quoting me. I am paying $225 for the left front fender. Ordered it from TascaParts.com. Of course there will be shipping charges and painting cost on top of that. Maybe $200 to paint, purely a guess.

Good Luck!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I would replace the fender, not repair it. Maybe you could get lucky and find a totaled car with that fender intact, and the same color. You may win the lottery first, but maybe even try eBay.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Man I would have been enraged if this happened to me! Thats the problem with the DC area, people drive like they are crazy, don't yield, run red lights, stop signs, cut you off constantly, tailgate...but I'm not telling you anything new! Sorry about your car!

If you haven't already, register your car at www.silvermustangs.com!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:04 PM
pwrl3ss
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses. Is there a difference with the V6 and GT fender?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

$700 to use bondo, repaint and blend
Old 05-20-2010, 01:34 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Well you got his info... go rob his house and set his truck on fire.

but yeah, the V6 fender is the same as the GT, it just lacks the GT emblem.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Well you got his info... go rob his house and set his truck on fire.

but yeah, the V6 fender is the same as the GT, it just lacks the GT emblem.
It also lacks the alignment holes for the emblem.

Quick Reply: Fender Bender - Ideas on cost to fix?