Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Low Mileage Shelby VS 2011 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 PM
*JackBurton*

Originally Posted by mvp12
Whats "gas and go" plan?
Gas and Go is the scheduled maintenance plan from ford. I forgot what the official name is. It covers all maintenance excluding tires for 6 years/ 75,000 miles. If you do all your own work then it's not worth it. If you go into the dealer, then it's a simple way to save money.

You don't have to buy at that dealer and you can haggle if you want. Some dealers will sell it at cost. My mustang is my DD, I really did not want to worry about too much.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:50 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Get the GT500. It's as reliable and streetable as any other mustang and it's not as rare as people would like to believe. 5.4 liter forged block > 5.0 liter.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:16 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Fellas (and ladies?),
Appreciate all the input. Not really concerned about the value of the car being affected by the mileage. I am active duty in the Navy and regularly put in 12-14 hour days...so if the small piece of joy I get from turning that ignition key in the morning costs me a little on the back end, thats fine with me. And Im never going to sell it anyway.

I may buy a beater for the winters, but in general, I plan on driving her everyday as therapeutic relief.

The only real concern I have is the reliability of additional moving parts in the Shelby. Im mechanically inclined (ie change the oil, brake pads, can follow instructions...), but hardly ready to get under the hood of a FI motor when she starts making funny noises.

I think a few of you implied that the Shelby motor is pretty durable and I would just wonder if there is anything special about routine maintenance that comes with a GT500.

thanks again, and Have a great weekend.

Mark

Hey man I'm sorry about the car.. I am also active duty (Army 20 yrs).. Eventhough I love my car if I could get a Shelby I would jump on it in a minute.. I've read the posts of the other guys here.. IMO (once again guys my opinion) some cars are not to be made daily drivers.. Snow, Ice, Hail storms can really make for a bad day on a nice car. If it were me, I would buy the Shelby (like I said eailier) and buy some sort of a beater. One thing I learned about being stationed in Missouri is that Mustangs, snow and ice don't get along that's why I bought me a truck. One of my buddys (who I am currently deployed with) ordered a 2011 GT and will be picking it up once we redeploy in Sept. I've talked him into not only buying the GT but to also buy a beater. Just my two cents dude.. Good luck any decision that you make.

Last edited by Soldier GT; 05-31-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:11 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Fellas (and ladies?),
Appreciate all the input. Not really concerned about the value of the car being affected by the mileage. I am active duty in the Navy and regularly put in 12-14 hour days...so if the small piece of joy I get from turning that ignition key in the morning costs me a little on the back end, thats fine with me. And Im never going to sell it anyway.

I may buy a beater for the winters, but in general, I plan on driving her everyday as therapeutic relief.

The only real concern I have is the reliability of additional moving parts in the Shelby. Im mechanically inclined (ie change the oil, brake pads, can follow instructions...), but hardly ready to get under the hood of a FI motor when she starts making funny noises.

I think a few of you implied that the Shelby motor is pretty durable and I would just wonder if there is anything special about routine maintenance that comes with a GT500.

thanks again, and Have a great weekend.

Mark
Looks like you have already made up your mind.....GO FOR THE GT500!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 AM
mvp12
1st Gear Member

Wow. So apparently I was completely misinterpreting the comments about the price of a 2007 Shelby. The dealer I found has it listed for 38.9K. Which I was assuming would translate to about 35 + TTT. Is that actually TOO HIGH? I was assuming that all the guys questioning the two cars being comparable didnt believe that a Shelby would be that cheap. I did some research online, and like always, theres a smorgasboard of info. KBB says that with that mileage its worth almost 40K. But Edmunds says 33K. I looked up the sticker, and the original MSRP was 46K (but that included 1300 in gas guzzler tax, 196 in Sirius membership, 1295 for Shaker 100 (which I would have to replace with Navi anyway, and 745 Delivery. So....I think that once you throw out all the crap, the original MSRP was something like 42.6K. Which, I think gives me a lot of leverage to hammer the dealer and get it down to 33 or 34. The only problem, is that the whole, "your not gonna be able to sell this car to someone else" argument wouldnt really work if I couldnt keep a straight face when I said it. anyways, the car is absolutely mint and has only 2000 miles, so what do you guys think I should try and get it for? Assuming it wasnt sold over labor day.

Mark
Old 05-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Wow. So apparently I was completely misinterpreting the comments about the price of a 2007 Shelby. The dealer I found has it listed for 38.9K. Which I was assuming would translate to about 35 + TTT. Is that actually TOO HIGH? I was assuming that all the guys questioning the two cars being comparable didnt believe that a Shelby would be that cheap. I did some research online, and like always, theres a smorgasboard of info. KBB says that with that mileage its worth almost 40K. But Edmunds says 33K. I looked up the sticker, and the original MSRP was 46K (but that included 1300 in gas guzzler tax, 196 in Sirius membership, 1295 for Shaker 100 (which I would have to replace with Navi anyway, and 745 Delivery. So....I think that once you throw out all the crap, the original MSRP was something like 42.6K. Which, I think gives me a lot of leverage to hammer the dealer and get it down to 33 or 34. The only problem, is that the whole, "your not gonna be able to sell this car to someone else" argument wouldnt really work if I couldnt keep a straight face when I said it. anyways, the car is absolutely mint and has only 2000 miles, so what do you guys think I should try and get it for? Assuming it wasnt sold over labor day.

Mark
I can tell you...I having both a GT and 500...you will not go wrong getting that 500! and talk about Therapy...nothing is better then having 550 rwhp...hitting the gas for a second and smoking the tires a bit next to a car that is wanting to run it...and watch the reaction... i cant wait to have a 2011 5.0 make a run!...and nothing is more awesome then those snakes on the car...
Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

$38K for a 2007 GT500 is spendy. I've seen 2008 models go for less than $35K with very low mileage on autotrader. From dealers. Private party can sometimes show up for even less.

If you're serious about a used GT500 and it's out of warranty. Be aware of the clutch TSB with that car. If you get one with that issue and it's out of warranty expect to be doing a clutch yourself or spending money to fix it.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Why is the GT500 getting hit with a gas guzzler tax when it's better than a truck on MPG, and the trucks don't have to pay it. Makes no sense what-so-ever.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:03 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Cars & trucks go by different rules in the eyes of the EPA. Remember too(to the OP) that the gas guzzler tax is charged at each yearly tag renewal. Although, as others have said, to have the opportunity to get a GT500 completely outweighs getting any other type of late model Mustang in my eyes. The new 5.0 is sexy, fast and new, but a GT500 is a GT500. Imagine you're back in 1969 and you're considering getting a new '69 Mustang GT(last year of the original GT) over a '67 Shelby GT500. How does that sound to you now? Just food for thought
Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 PM
mvp12
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
$38K for a 2007 GT500 is spendy. I've seen 2008 models go for less than $35K with very low mileage on autotrader. From dealers. Private party can sometimes show up for even less.

If you're serious about a used GT500 and it's out of warranty. Be aware of the clutch TSB with that car. If you get one with that issue and it's out of warranty expect to be doing a clutch yourself or spending money to fix it.
Any more info on the Clutch TSB? That should be covered regardless of warranty right?

Quick Reply: 2007 Low Mileage Shelby VS 2011 5.0?