Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM hood paint and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:18 AM
legend gt
1st Gear Member

Default OEM hood paint and replacement

Who has had they're OEM hood replaced by another new aluminum hood? How's your paint holding up? any corrosion issues with the new aluminum Ford hood? The dealer want's to replace my hood with the corrosion issues with a new one.Just wondering if anybody has had this done and what the success rate is.Thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Why would they replace your hood when the TSB calls for repainting? The dealer just repainted mine last week, not replace.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:35 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Timing is a funny thing...

A customer of mine took his car for the same issues last week and the dealer just replaced the hood as well.
I was very surprised since that hood now retails for $1300.
I guess Dealers are tired of messing around with this problem.

Those hood have this issue because of contamination during painting at the factory plan.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:51 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

so will repainting fix this problem? i've been kinda in a little battle with my dealer, and i want a new hood because i'm skeptical of the problem actually being fixed by them repainting only the underside of the hood. isn't the whole hood affected by this contamination? or would it have shown trouble spots in other areas?

mine are located in 2 different spots, both near the middle of each half of the hood. also my roof is showing a small sign of this on the driver's side edge, though barely noticeable, and it looks like it MIGHT be continuing under the black plastic piece along the edge. i'm not really knowledgable, so any info would help.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:20 PM
legend gt
1st Gear Member

The dealer has painted my hood twice and each time the corrosion has come back.It started under the front lip as they all do ,then on top the front edge.Ford Motor Company has done zilch-nada to help me out here.They are greedy bastards who won't own up to they're f-up.All the factory rep can say is "sorry your out of warranty".What a bunch of losers.Ford's sales are up right now,but I hope they hit the skid's.I can't get mad at my dealer,they didn't build the POS.They are just as frustrated about this as I am.They are left dealing with this problem.My dealer offered to buy a new hood ,paint with lifetime warranty.All they want is for me to pay half.After getting Po'd at that offer I finally realized that wasn't so bad.My options are a new carbon fiber hood?? fiberglass? By the time I bought that hood and had a reputable shop paint it ,I'd have over $800 in it.That's why I wanted to know if anyone is having problems with a "replaced OEM" hood.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

if the paint is bubbling, you are still "under warranty" the paint/corrosion warranty far exceeds the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty.

as far as painting goes...you only get as good a job as the painter has skill. The Dealership really screwed up my Expedition when they sent it out to a local el-cheapo place to correct rock chips. Stupid ****ers oversprayed every single panel and burned my paint from wet sanding.

If they want to give you a new hood, I'd do it
Old 06-01-2010, 07:38 AM
legend gt
1st Gear Member

Tylus.......here's where they get you on that phony 5 year -50k corrosion "warranty" ........the corrosion has to be a perforated hole????? The hoods are aluminum? duh. Fords dancing all the way around this problem.It's not a safety issue so they won't deal with it openly.You can take them to small claims court.Good pics of the corrosion, 2 repair estimates and you can beat them in small claims court.They know this and they are paying off people who take them to court.They ask the party they're paying to sign a waiver that exempts them from further claims in the future.Anyone who signs that is really foolish.I've talked personally to people that have done this.We do have options.That's why I was asking if anyone has had they're hood replaced by ford and how it's (paint) holding up.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
if the paint is bubbling, you are still "under warranty" the paint/corrosion warranty far exceeds the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty.
Unless the corrosion or rust makes a hole in the body panel that will allow you to stick a pen through it, no warranty past 3 years/36,000 miles. The 5 year corrosion protection will never see it that bad to make a hole in less than 5 years. Ford knows this, and they don't care.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 AM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

**** that is terrible...might as well aggravate corrosion myself to the point of perforation...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Unless the corrosion or rust makes a hole in the body panel that will allow you to stick a pen through it, no warranty past 3 years/36,000 miles. The 5 year corrosion protection will never see it that bad to make a hole in less than 5 years. Ford knows this, and they don't care.
I've said on here before, I have a corrosion problem and Ford wants NO parts of it. I'd love a repaint/new hood but it's not gonna happen

Quick Reply: OEM hood paint and replacement