Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:12 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Default Battery drain...

A couple days ago, I went to start my car and it was very hesitant to turn over. I noticed that the clock on the radio turned on/off. I tightened the battery terminals and it started, but not as quickly as before. I purchased a new battery from NTB a couple months ago and it has worked flawlessly. An idea what may be draining the battery? I had the Vortech and some gauges installed a week ago, and it has run perfectly since. Maybe I got a bad battery. Suggestions appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Have you read the hundreds of threads regarding the battery and alternator issues with our S197's?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:27 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I've read a lot of the battery threads, but not the alternator ones. Again, the battery is only 2-3 months old.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd have both the battery and alternator load tested. I doubt your "new" battery is bad but you never know. A weak or defective alternator will prevent proper charging of the battery, new or old.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I keep my car on a Battery Tender since its not my DD. One day I noticed that the red charging LED never went to green. It usually does a couple hours after plugging it in. Well the light stayed red for a couple days and I knew something was wrong. After reading a bunch of threads I hit the menu function on my Shaker 1000 and manually turned off the "shaker" option. Then manually turned off the radio before turning of the key. Now my battery tender operates in red charge mode briefly like before then goes to float on green.

Seems the problems with the Shakers are true. One day, like what happened to me, your radio will decide not to turn off the amp when you turn off the key even though the radio display goes off with the key.

Might wanna start turning off your Shaker like I described.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

any new loads installed recentley? such as underdrive pullies, amps or music equipment?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'd have both the battery and alternator load tested. I doubt your "new" battery is bad but you never know. A weak or defective alternator will prevent proper charging of the battery, new or old.
Thanks, I'll head over to AutoZone this afternoon and have them load test the battery and alternator.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:52 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
I keep my car on a Battery Tender since its not my DD. One day I noticed that the red charging LED never went to green. It usually does a couple hours after plugging it in. Well the light stayed red for a couple days and I knew something was wrong. After reading a bunch of threads I hit the menu function on my Shaker 1000 and manually turned off the "shaker" option. Then manually turned off the radio before turning of the key. Now my battery tender operates in red charge mode briefly like before then goes to float on green.

Seems the problems with the Shakers are true. One day, like what happened to me, your radio will decide not to turn off the amp when you turn off the key even though the radio display goes off with the key.

Might wanna start turning off your Shaker like I described.
Thanks, but I have the Shaker 500, I don't have this option.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The Shaker 500 AND 1000 have the same power draw issue.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:05 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The Shaker 500 AND 1000 have the same power draw issue.
I always turn the radio off before turning off the vehicle. What options are available for the 500 units?

Quick Reply: Battery drain...