Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran over a plastic bag - melted on my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Default Ran over a plastic bag - melted on my exhaust

I know it's not that big of a deal since you can't see it from the outside, but I've always liked keeping my undercarriage clean also. Luckily it missed the headers, but it is completely covering one of my shiny new Kooks cats and the H-pipe. It's a big black baked on mess. Any ideas how to clean this off ?

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

You can't clean it off, it permanently bonds to the surface due to the immense heat. This happened to my LS1 Trans Am years ago, and I had just redone the entire exhaust. I WAS P/Oed! It was a damn plastic bag (20 lbs. ice) someone didn't throw away and blew out of the back of their truck on the interstate. I smelled burned plastic for days after. Ironic that it was also on my new high flow cat, which I later removed when I did a dumped exhaust so problem solved.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

damn dude, that is really unfortunate, you could try a power washer but I don't see that working 100%
Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

well, if you can get it up on a lift you can sand it with really fine grit. Gotta be careful though.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I was pretty PO'ed - it was a big *** trash bag that just came blowing from the side of the road and got sucked right under my car before I could even see it. I still smell the burning smell too.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

The same thing happened right after I installed my exhaust on the gt. I was driving down the interstate, and a piece of plastic covering a couch blew off and under my car. I could smell the burnt plastic for WEEKS.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:58 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

It'll smell for a few hundred miles then be gone. I have plastic bag imprints on both my cats LOL PITA for sure, but it happens
Old 06-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hagwood
I know it's not that big of a deal since you can't see it from the outside, but I've always liked keeping my undercarriage clean also. Luckily it missed the headers, but it is completely covering one of my shiny new Kooks cats and the H-pipe. It's a big black baked on mess. Any ideas how to clean this off ?

Thanks.

Damn man that's gotta suck.. I would try like one of the guys said and take it to a pressure washer. Have you asked the local exhuast shop for any ideas? Hey man which ever way you go I hope you get this taken care of..
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
It'll smell for a few hundred miles then be gone. I have plastic bag imprints on both my cats LOL PITA for sure, but it happens
I must have came in contact with industrial-strength plastic......the burnt smell lasted quite a while on mine.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:49 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

I had/still have a mulch bag on my mid mufflers. It still stinks a little even after a couple months...

Quick Reply: Ran over a plastic bag - melted on my exhaust