Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter vs CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Does the $530 include the handheld tuner or is that just intake and tune files? If it's $530 for everything thats a great deal.
It's $530 for the JLT CAI, 1 custom tune and the hand held SCT tuner. It is a good deal, I bought mine in December. Free shipping as well
Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah, not sure if the drop in KN is oiled gauze but if it is DON'T swap your cellulose paper air filter for it. That would probably be the worst thing you could do for your new car. The cellulose paper filters much, much better. Not worth the 2hp!

If your heart is set on a filter swap, look for a synthetic, dry filter drop in like Amsoil etc.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:52 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
It's $530 for the JLT CAI, 1 custom tune and the hand held SCT tuner. It is a good deal, I bought mine in December. Free shipping as well
Also free tunes for life from AmericanMuscle
Old 06-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

The Meter on these cars is a slot meter. When you install an aftermarket CAI most make the tube where the meter slots in larger. If you dont reprogram the car thinks their is less air going through the tube than their is for a given velocity. A lot of the gains come from making this tube larger.

The throttle opening rate is limited on these cars. They also close the throttle on powershifts, their is also a perceptable lag waiting for it to reopen. They also need the limiter raised at least 500 rpm for best performance. A Tune fixes all of this.

A JLTII CAI / Mailorder SCT Tune Combo from BamaChips helped my car over 4/10 and 4 mph in the 1/4 mile. They can be worth even more on the automatics witht he revised shift firmness, shift points and converter lockup.

Overall the much better response with a tune makes the car feel much more like an old 60's Muscle Car.

Last edited by Gene K; 06-04-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

The tune also has to accommodate different flow characteristics across the MAF after the CAI is added.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Miller2
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Oh yeah, not sure if the drop in KN is oiled gauze but if it is DON'T swap your cellulose paper air filter for it. That would probably be the worst thing you could do for your new car. The cellulose paper filters much, much better. Not worth the 2hp!

If your heart is set on a filter swap, look for a synthetic, dry filter drop in like Amsoil etc.
Whats the issue with the K&N oiled filters?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miller2
Whats the issue with the K&N oiled filters?
Well, many tests with oil analysis from labs confirmed that "sometimes", not always, an oiled filter did flow better, but allowed more dirt (silicon) to get through. This will show an increase in silicon in the test results. When I bought my C&L it had a K&N cone type filter so I was forced to use it. If I see elevated silicon level in my oil analysis I will be changing to a dry type cone filter.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Well, many tests with oil analysis from labs confirmed that "sometimes", not always, an oiled filter did flow better, but allowed more dirt (silicon) to get through. This will show an increase in silicon in the test results. When I bought my C&L it had a K&N cone type filter so I was forced to use it. If I see elevated silicon level in my oil analysis I will be changing to a dry type cone filter.

not true. I run K&N's in my every day drivers for .. oh.. about 15 years now and you can lick the intake tube after the filters. They do not let any dirt/dust by any more then a paper filter. its simply not true.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by topbliss
not true. I run K&N's in my every day drivers for .. oh.. about 15 years now and you can lick the intake tube after the filters. They do not let any dirt/dust by any more then a paper filter. its simply not true.
Guess you missed the word "sometimes" in my post. On the BITOG forums some people with UOA analysis have shown increased silicon in their sample oil that was alleviated after switching back to a paper element. Other users have noticed no such increase with the K&N. It all is application dependent. Hence, why I used the word "sometimes".

IMO, a well maintained K&N will perform better than a paper element, but some people don't know how to properly care for them.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Miller2
1st Gear Member

"some people with UOA analysis have shown increased silicon in their sample oil"

Wow..now thats what I call ****!!! Who would even consider such a thing?

Quick Reply: Air Filter vs CAI