Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter vs CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miller2
"some people with UOA analysis have shown increased silicon in their sample oil"

Wow..now thats what I call ****!!! Who would even consider such a thing?
What, do you mean, Who would get an oil analysis to determine how well the oil they are using is treating their engine?

A lot of people do, and I even did it once with my previous car 99' Trans Am. Sometimes a good UOA (Used Oil Analysis) can expose problems developing within an engine. It's worth the investment to know everything is doing great. Now, I'm not saying it will tell you every problem that could exist, but it's a good source of information about what is going on inside your engine.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:28 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
IMO, a well maintained K&N will perform better than a paper element, but some people don't know how to properly care for them.
Exactly, people over-oil their filters during cleaning all the time trying to get them to shine red again and that will lead to that kind of issue.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Miller2
1st Gear Member

Unleashedbeast.......I meant I've owned many cars over the years, never had any issues of note, never had an oil analysis done. It's just not something that ever came to mind and likely wouldn't for the majority of the population.

I'm sure it offers something of value however.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A drop-in filter plus axlebacks will provide you no performance gain. In addition to the added RWHP a good CAI & tune combo will give you, it also vastly improves the cars' driveability by reducing or eliminating throttle lag, improves shifting (autos, of course) plus a few others.

I've used oiled air filters on 2 previous vehicles and had 1 of the 2 consistently throwing a code for a dirty (oil contaminated) MAF. I found them to be not worth the hassle of cleaning, drying and reoiling even if the one car HADN'T been throwing CELs. To each his own. The fact that our S197's don't throw a CEL with a drop-in, despite how finicky the stock tune is with the additional airflow, speaks volumes about how ineffective they are in providing any measureable RWHP gain.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Miller2
1st Gear Member

Interesting....good info Nuke.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by staggolee
Exactly, people over-oil their filters during cleaning all the time trying to get them to shine red again and that will lead to that kind of issue.
IMO the filters are over oiled from the factory...just so they look pretty red.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Miller2
1st Gear Member

Ok...so a tune is a 1 time thing correct? Let's say I install an axle back exhaust and a CAI. I can run a tune for only those upgrades? Now if I install other upgrades I have to re-tune to accomodate those new upgrades? Sooooooo...if I simply install the first scenario then someone can loan me their tuner, I can perform the tune and send the unit back to them and all is well?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miller2
Ok...so a tune is a 1 time thing correct? Let's say I install an axle back exhaust and a CAI. I can run a tune for only those upgrades? Now if I install other upgrades I have to re-tune to accomodate those new upgrades? Sooooooo...if I simply install the first scenario then someone can loan me their tuner, I can perform the tune and send the unit back to them and all is well?
The tuners we are talking about are locked to a particular car once used. The only way to use on another car is to return the stock tune back on the car that was first tuned.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Miller2
1st Gear Member

"The tuners we are talking about are locked to a particular car once used. The only way to use on another car is to return the stock tune back on the car that was first tuned".

Haha...oh well..was worth a shot!
Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Some mods require a tune. Others do not. Axle backs do not. UDP's do not. CAI does. LT headers DO. Yada-yada. There's a list in the stickies if I recall.

Quick Reply: Air Filter vs CAI