Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering A 2011 Mustang V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Tnnrx7

Default Ordering A 2011 Mustang V6

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into ordering a new 2011 Mustang V6. I decided that I liked the balance of power and fuel efficiency for the V6 model, plus insurance will also be cheaper. Pretty set on white with the black racing stripe.

I have been customizing the car on Ford's website and have came across a couple questions that I hope you fellas can help me with:

1. Are the HID headlights worth it? Does anyone have comparison pictures? Also, how come when I select the HID's it requires me to get rid of the 17" wheels and add the security package?

2. The 3.31 Limited Slip Rear Axle Ratio, should I throw down the extra $395 for this?

3. The Electronics Package. Now I have read up on this and watched some demonstration videos and it looks pretty nice. I was wondering what YOU guys that have it think about it after using it for a while? Really worth the $2,340?

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll have more questions as the days come closer to me making the order. Any other tips or info you think would be useful, let me know!

Thanks
Old 06-14-2010, 11:11 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Well I can tell you the non-HID headlights in the 2005-2009 models sucked. I'm putting HID's in mine as soon as I can. Not sure if they made improvements in 2010, but if not, spring for the HID's.

What is the alternative to the 3.31? If its any lower (numerically) I'd spring for the 3.31 as well. Will retain good MPG but give you a bit peppier feel.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:15 PM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

I bought aftermarket HIDs for my 2010 fromddmtuning and they get the job done. I couldnt jsutify spending a couple grand to upgrade the lighting system
Old 06-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Tnnrx7

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Well I can tell you the non-HID headlights in the 2005-2009 models sucked. I'm putting HID's in mine as soon as I can. Not sure if they made improvements in 2010, but if not, spring for the HID's.

What is the alternative to the 3.31? If its any lower (numerically) I'd spring for the 3.31 as well. Will retain good MPG but give you a bit peppier feel.
The stock is 2.73:1

Originally Posted by v6motorheadftop
I bought aftermarket HIDs for my 2010 fromddmtuning and they get the job done. I couldnt jsutify spending a couple grand to upgrade the lighting system
Well the HID option shows only being $525, but like I said when I select it, it changes the wheels and adds the security package making it $1,915? That's what I was curious about.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tnnrx7
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into ordering a new 2011 Mustang V6. I decided that I liked the balance of power and fuel efficiency for the V6 model, plus insurance will also be cheaper. Pretty set on white with the black racing stripe.

I have been customizing the car on Ford's website and have came across a couple questions that I hope you fellas can help me with:

1. Are the HID headlights worth it? Does anyone have comparison pictures? Also, how come when I select the HID's it requires me to get rid of the 17" wheels and add the security package?

2. The 3.31 Limited Slip Rear Axle Ratio, should I throw down the extra $395 for this?

3. The Electronics Package. Now I have read up on this and watched some demonstration videos and it looks pretty nice. I was wondering what YOU guys that have it think about it after using it for a while? Really worth the $2,340?

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll have more questions as the days come closer to me making the order. Any other tips or info you think would be useful, let me know!

Thanks
1. To me, yes. Not only does it make the car look better and more aggressive, it allows you to see better and others to see you better.
Many car manufacturers make strange decisions when it comes to options, so not sure why they require the security system, but to me, that's a worthy option anyway, so might as well get it.
As for the required 18" wheels, why fret it, 17's look puny on the car and you'd want to change them anyway. The HID's make the car look more aggressive, and the 18" wheels just do the same, so they compliment each other. Further, if you ever decided to sell the 18's you at least have a shot at getting some money for them. Nobody will buy base 17 inch wheels.

2. Yes. You'll probably cut into your gas mileage by a bit, but the additional acceleration they'll bring will probably bring a smile to your face a bit more often. And in that case, it's a bargain at $395

3. Now I can't speak for the "Electronics Package" on the Ford car, but to me a $2,340 for what is essentially a NAV system is expensive. Get a $150 Magallan and keep it in the glove box, if you are ever lost or need directions, it takes all of a few seconds to plug in and get you where you need to go.
Plus if you keep the car for a long time, it's one less thing to worry about going haywire when the 3 year 36k warranty expires.

4. As for the stripe go to accessories and choose the black satin hood and side stripes, they look very nice and would work well with your white, HID's and 18" wheels.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Tnnrx7

Originally Posted by Driver72
1. To me, yes. Not only does it make the car look better and more aggressive, it allows you to see better and others to see you better.
Many car manufacturers make strange decisions when it comes to options, so not sure why they require the security system, but to me, that's a worthy option anyway, so might as well get it.
As for the required 18" wheels, why fret it, 17's look puny on the car and you'd want to change them anyway. The HID's make the car look more aggressive, and the 18" wheels just do the same, so they compliment each other. Further, if you ever decided to sell the 18's you at least have a shot at getting some money for them. Nobody will buy base 17 inch wheels.

2. Yes. You'll probably cut into your gas mileage by a bit, but the additional acceleration they'll bring will probably bring a smile to your face a bit more often. And in that case, it's a bargain at $395

3. Now I can't speak for the "Electronics Package" on the Ford car, but to me a $2,340 for what is essentially a NAV system is expensive. Get a $150 Magallan and keep it in the glove box, if you are ever lost or need directions, it takes all of a few seconds to plug in and get you where you need to go.
Plus if you keep the car for a long time, it's one less thing to worry about going haywire when the 3 year 36k warranty expires.

4. As for the stripe go to accessories and choose the black satin hood and side stripes, they look very nice and would work well with your white, HID's and 18" wheels.
Thanks for the great input and info.

1. I guess you're right, I like the look of the machined aluminum with the black on the 17's, but I plan on getting aftermarket rims anyways and this way I would have tires that fit 18's. Speaking of tires, how good are the stock set?

2. How much is a "a bit"? Any official numbers on this?

3. My iPhone has GPS, but the electronics package had quite a few other features in addition to the dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control.

4. It will only let me choose either the side or top stripes, not both.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Tnnrx7

Thanks for the great input and info.

1. I guess you're right, I like the look of the machined aluminum with the black on the 17's, but I plan on getting aftermarket rims anyways and this way I would have tires that fit 18's. And if I saw the 17's in person, I would probably agree they are too small for this car. Speaking of tires, how good are the stock set?

2. How much is a "a bit"? Any official numbers on this?

3. My iPhone has GPS, but the electronics package had quite a few other features in addition to the dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control.

TTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Old 06-15-2010, 12:01 AM
brycerichert
1st Gear Member

Dual zone... that's funny.... like the heat from the right won't go to the left.

Stripes... don't do it!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:56 AM
hoodlum54
1st Gear Member

Hey Everyone,

Thanks
Here are my 2 cents

1. HID headlights are VERY much worth it, however, I wouldn't get them from Ford. Why, you ask? It takes away the integrated turn signals - to me, an awesome heritage cue. Get the regular headlights from Ford, then just install HID's later. That way you get the retro turn signal look, but the performance of HID's. The security package is an active anti-theft device and *may* lower your insurance premiums. Ask your agent.

2. You really gotta decide what you want from this car. 31 mpg is very impressive indeed. (not sure how much you know, so I'm going to treat you as a newb. If this is below you, please don't take offense ) Basically the higher the final drive ratio (2.73, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10) the higher your RPM's will be at the same speed in any given gear. This does a few things. 1st, it gives you harder launches (provided no wheel spin). 2nd, it gets you (and keeps you) in your powerband sooner and longer. 3rd, undesireably, it reduces your highway MPG. Some people report increasing city MPG with higher gears because they don't have to use as much gas to get up to speed. On the highway however, it's unavoidable that your RPM's will be higher and consequently you'll burn more fuel. Probably in the 1-2 MPG range.

3. The electronics package. 1st, it's not simply a garmin. It's a very, very advanced system with many unique to sync features. Is it neccesary, no. If you have the money for it, why not get it? If you saw the video of it's functionality and like what you saw, it's really up to you whether or not it's worth it. It's my understanding that SYNC 3.0 comes with audio turn by turn directions, so you don't really need the screen...maybe that's a deciding factor?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As far as the gears, I'd pass on the car if I couldn't upgrade at least to the 3.31's. The change in fuel consumption will only be noticable mostly at engine speeds over 1800-2000 RPM. I concur that you'll see about a 1-2 MPG drop, if that much, providing you keep a light foot. The advertised fuel mileage is based on a very conservative driving style.

Quick Reply: Ordering A 2011 Mustang V6