Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under Drive Pulley installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 03:13 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Default Under Drive Pulley installation

OK, I just did my MotoBlue undersize pulleys on my 2005 Mustang GT and here are all the problems I ran into. From what I've read, the procedure on the '05 is different then in prior years. OK, I just did my MB pulleys and here are all the problems I ran into.

Before you start, make sure you have the following tools, rent them if you have to. My local Auto zone has a loan a tool program and they lent me most of what I needed except for the power tools.

Quick inventory first. The Motoblue kit comes with an idler, a bolt for the idler, the water pump pulley and the Crankshaft pulley. During the install you will reuse the 4 original 10 mm bolts form the water pump pulley and the 18 mm crankshaft pulley bolt.

Tools:

1) compressor

2) 5" or smaller impact wrench gun (an impact ratchet does not have enough power for the crankshaft bolt)

3) 10 MM socket and 18 MM impact socket

4) Harmonic balancer puller

5) harmonic balancer install kit.

6) 1/2" ratchet

I could not find any instructions for the MotoBlue Pulleys but I was able to referrence some Steeda instructions. Though the pulleys might be different, the procedure should be the same (or so I figure). Here are the steps for the removal/installation:

1) The steeda instructions say to disconnect the battery but I don't see the need for it, I'm not going to be touching anything electrical.

2) remove your air cleaner tubes. This will give you more clearance.

3) loosen ALL of the bolts before removing the belt. I made the mistake of removing the belt first and then all of the pulleys turned freely. The 4 bolts on the water pump are 10mm. The bolt on the crank shaft is 18 MM. Others have said you can remove it with an impact ratchet but I wasn't able to. I tried a very long Torque wrench and it had over 120 Ft-lbs on it. It did not work. I wound up having to go to Sears and buy their smallest impact gun. It only measured 5" and it was just small enough to fit.

4) make sure the torque gun is set to counterclockwise. This new gun I was using had a little push button to control the direction and the fit was so tight that the button kept getting pushed in and the bolt kept getting tightened instead of loosened. Also, make sure your air compressor is set at the maximum rating for the gun (mine was 90lbs but I set the compressor to 100) and that it stays on. My compressor blew a Circuit breaker and the tank just kept emptying. I didn't realize I did not have enough air for the gun until the tank was almost empty.

5) Get a paper and pencil and draw out all of the pulleys and how the belt goes around them. Believe me you will need this. I did not do it and had a really tough time trying to figure out how to put the #$$%%% belt back on. After you complete your picture, remove the belt. To remove the belt, use a 1/2 ratchet and insert it into the square hole on the idler pulley with the long arm and push down on it. After removing the belt, remove the pulley on the water pump. Don't put the new one on yet, this way you'll have more room to work. Screw the waterpump bolts back into the water pump so you won't loose the bolts.

6) Remove the old idler pulley and bolt. You wont' need the old bolt, you'll be using the new one. Install the new idler pulley. It works great, much less friction then the stock pulley. The pulley goes on with the C clip pointing towards you. If you put it on the other way, the pulley binds up against the engine. Once you have the pulley installed, tighten it with the bolt they provide you. The washer on the stock bolt is much too large and will restrict the pulley. When you're all done tightening the idler pulley, it should turn freely.

7) remove the crank pulley. Make sure you use the right tool. The first time, Autozone gave me a pulley puller and it was not big enough. You need a harmonic balancer removal tool. There are 2 types. The first is is a flat piece of metal with three long slots. There are long bolts that fit into these slots and screw into the crank shaft pulley. Then there is a very long bolt that screws in the middle. The other type has three claws that fit inside the crank pulley. There is a pin that goes inside the cran shaft and then a long screw that screws through the claw clam and pulls the pulley out. The Motoblue crank shaft pulley takes the first type but the one in the car takes the second. It is very hard to use it the claws keep slipping. I worked on this for several hours.

8) boil the new crankshaft pulley for about 10 minutes, not much longer. The idea here is that the heat will make the pulley expand and thus make it easier to install. While it is boiling, put some grease on the crank shaft to help the pulley go on. Not too much, keep it clean. Using ultra black gasket sealer, put a dab in the notch key area of the underdrive pulley so when you install it no oil can get out.

9) install the crank shaft pulley lining up the key notches. You'll need a good set of gloves so you don't burn your hands. Use a harmonic Balancer install tool to "press" the new pulley onto the crank shaft nice and even.

10) Use the original 18 MM bolt and tighten. Steeda recommends the torque turn method. They claim it is more accurate. The torque turn method measures how much the bolt is stretched which is really what is desired. Friction from the bolt head and washer is not a factor which leads to inaccurate torque of a fastener.

Torque to 67lb-ft. this step seats the balancer

Loosen half turn. this step relieves all stress on the bolt

Torque to 37lb-ft , this step pre-torques the bolt before bolt to washer friction becomes an issue

Tighten an addition 90 degrees, the fourth step stretches the bolt to the proper tension

11) install the waterpump pulley using the original bolts. Finally, install your belt using the diagram you drew. Make sure the belt sits properly on all of the piulleys. Start the engine and watch the belt to make sure it is properly aligned. reinstall your intake tubes. Enjoy the extra HP.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:02 AM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Under Drive Pulley installation

Thanks for the info!

SOOOO? Is there a difference?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:02 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

At the lower RPM range ther is a bit of a difference but not enough to make all the time I spent working on it worth it. The claws on the crank shaft pulley puller kept slipping. It ook me over 3 hrs just to get the crankshaft pulley off. In retrospect, I would have paid someone to do this job, but maybe if I had started with the right set of tools to begin with, the job would have gone much smoother and I would think differently.

I've only had the car for less then a week and I havent beat on it too hard yet. I made a lot of mods on it all at once so I'm not sure how much power each of them added. In less then a week, I installed the C&L, tried 3 different Predator tunes and added the UD pulleys. Over all, the car moooves. I'm very happy with it.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Krazed
1st Gear Member

Thanks for posting this Odiaz. I've been thinking of getting the pulleys as well. I found a kit system over at RPM Outlet that looks a lot cheaper than buying the stuff in piecemail, and the pulleys were the only thing I wasn't sure about. Looks like that kit is going in the shopping cart now, though.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:33 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: odiaz

At the lower RPM range ther is a bit of a difference but not enough to make all the time I spent working on it worth it. The claws on the crank shaft pulley puller kept slipping. It ook me over 3 hrs just to get the crankshaft pulley off. In retrospect, I would have paid someone to do this job, but maybe if I had started with the right set of tools to begin with, the job would have gone much smoother and I would think differently.

I've only had the car for less then a week and I havent beat on it too hard yet. I made a lot of mods on it all at once so I'm not sure how much power each of them added. In less then a week, I installed the C&L, tried 3 different Predator tunes and added the UD pulleys. Over all, the car moooves. I'm very happy with it.
I saw your "Start" button in another thread...very cool [sm=smiley20.gif]. You should post a HOW TO on that because I would attempt that. Very Cool.

THe steeda pulleys is on my list of mods...but I'm defintely getting someone to install them. Apparently only takes a pro an hour so its with the right tools, so its worth it IMO.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

I had my Steedas installed at my Ford dealer. Cost about $150, but was worth it. No check engine lites or other problems, and there is a noticeable difference in power. Mustangs have used U/Ds for years and usually with good results. The '05s like em too!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:21 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

BahBahBlack sheep, there is a thread on the engine start swith, here it is
https://mustangforums.com/m_586820/m.../tm.htm#586820.

Honestly, as far as the UD pulleys, it definitely would be worth it to pay someone else to do it. I spent over three hours trying to get the bottom pulley off and over 8 hours on the entire project. That did not include the multiple trips back and forth to Sears to replace broken sockets, buy an impact wrench and the 5 trips back and forth to autozone to get the right set of pulley pullers and installer.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:53 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: odiaz

BahBahBlack sheep, there is a thread on the engine start swith, here it is
https://mustangforums.com/m_586820/m.../tm.htm#586820.

Honestly, as far as the UD pulleys, it definitely would be worth it to pay someone else to do it. I spent over three hours trying to get the bottom pulley off and over 8 hours on the entire project. That did not include the multiple trips back and forth to Sears to replace broken sockets, buy an impact wrench and the 5 trips back and forth to autozone to get the right set of pulley pullers and installer.
woah...that must have been frustrating
Old 08-07-2005, 11:55 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info regarding the start button [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 08-07-2005, 11:56 PM
jtscuba02
2nd Gear Member

odiaz, i just got done doing my pulleys too. they are a pain in the butt, but as long as guys like us post from our experiance, it will make it easier for everyone else. i used the motoblue pulleys too, and i bought a impact gun from home depot only to put the car into 5th gear and use a breaker barto get the bolt out. also i had to use a 2 jaw puller because the three jaw woulndt fit on the balancer. did you use the dampner tool to get the balancer off? i took the fan off to give myself more room, its only a couple of bolts and you need the extra room. so if you had all the right tools to begin with would you still do this or pay someone to do it for you?

Quick Reply: Under Drive Pulley installation