Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood pins or no pins

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Shredfan
1st Gear Member

Default Hood pins or no pins

Guys with a Venom hood, are the pins as necessary as they seem to indicate on the Trufiber site? I'd really love to save the money and keep the look without them, but I do some interstate traveling sometimes, so I'd use them if need be.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:14 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Any aftermarket hood should have pins. It's a safety issue and believe it's required by law in most states.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:38 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

I would be very, very reluctant to use any aftermarket hood without pins. Steel or not, I have heard waaaaaaaay too many stories of them flying up at 60mph and destroying the hood, winshield, and front part of the roof. Some stories involve totaling the car because the driver couldn't see afterwards and ran off the road at 60mph. Or into a pole. Or a small child. You never know.

Get the pins. They might not be cheap but neither is a lawsuit.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:04 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Get the pins. Some glass hoods dont have a reinforced plate for the latch and its extra protection. Plus they completely stop hood flutter.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:09 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

You can try something like these...

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/hoodpins.htm
Old 06-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Shredfan
1st Gear Member

Hard not to get them at this point. If I don't get the ones Trufiber recommends, I might look into those, fairly awesome.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

i got the pins, anything after 70 made my hood jump and shake to a rediculous amount. alot of people on here say they are stupid and unnecessary, but it puts me in a clear state of mind knowing it sits like a rock now. i know you want to be saving money, but your going to be paying out alot more if it flys off and causes a fatality, i know thats an unlikely situation, but hey, it happens...
Old 06-27-2010, 12:47 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by red96v6
You can try something like these...

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/hoodpins.htm
Those are nice but are really expensive.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:12 AM
brycerichert
1st Gear Member

I don't understand why people would get aftermarket hoods that have a risk of opening at high speed? This should be a non-issue. Is it that they are so cheap they didn't design them to line up with a latch or something? Something doesn't sound right here. Or do people just want to say "there is a risk of the hood flying off" so they can justify putting those pin things on the hoods? (I'm in the family of "they look ricer", but that's just the other half)

Again, just curious as to why an aftermarket hood would have a chance of flying off. If desiged correctly, there should be absolutely no chance of this. Now if you are buying some cheap $500 knock-off, maybe so, but why would you want to risk hurting the car with a cheap product? Are all Mustang aftermarket hoods this cheap? I can buy a hood for my bimmer from many aftermarket-type websites and there is no chance in hell any of them would fly off the car even at 150 mph.

Please advise. thanks.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:16 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by brycerichert
I don't understand why people would get aftermarket hoods that have a risk of opening at high speed? This should be a non-issue. Is it that they are so cheap they didn't design them to line up with a latch or something? Something doesn't sound right here. Or do people just want to say "there is a risk of the hood flying off" so they can justify putting those pin things on the hoods? (I'm in the family of "they look ricer", but that's just the other half)

Again, just curious as to why an aftermarket hood would have a chance of flying off. If desiged correctly, there should be absolutely no chance of this. Now if you are buying some cheap $500 knock-off, maybe so, but why would you want to risk hurting the car with a cheap product? Are all Mustang aftermarket hoods this cheap? I can buy a hood for my bimmer from many aftermarket-type websites and there is no chance in hell any of them would fly off the car even at 150 mph.

Please advise. thanks.
Lol $500 knock off? Thats about the price of all the aftermarket hoods available...

Quick Reply: Hood pins or no pins