Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost disappearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Default Boost disappearing

Okay so the first time it happened I didn't pay a whole lot of mind to it, but yesterday it happened to me twice in a row. Under WOT, as I hit about 5000-5500 RPM, but boost suddenly disappears and I lose power (not electrical). As soon as I let off the gas or go less than WOT, it comes back.

My theory - I think my intake tube is sucking itself closed. The three times it has happened, it has been a pretty hot day, so I think the rush of air, combined with the loosened rubber is causing the issue. My only other though is that it could be belt slip, but the belt would have to be completely slipping to cause me to lose all boost, and I am not hearing any of the typical belt slip/screech noise.

There is no associated popping, or black smoke, but I am also letting up off the throttle pretty instantaneously. I know the stock Saleens that were at my power level generally used a solid intake tube, and maybe for good reason.

This didn't occur on the dyno and I think it was for two reasons. One, the intake tube had better cooling/was cooler, and two, the open hood may have caused less pressure within the tube, as there was more area for air to enter the air filter and thus, less suction on the other end.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Wouldn't the car die if the intake tube closed?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I would think that if it did for any longer than 1 second it would. When I say close, I doubt it's creating a complete seal. But as soon as the boost is lost, the vacuum pressure in the intake tube should cease and it should reopen. Power creates the problem, the problem creates lack of power, that lack of power fixes the problem.

At least that is how I've rationalized it in my head.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i'd say your intake tube theory is sound. the only other thing i can see happening is maybe something with the boost bypass valve. but like you said it didn't happen on the dyno, so that makes me lean more towards the intake.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

belt slip ?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Belt slip is my second theory. But it wasn't happening on the dyno runs so either I got lucky, or there was something different about those runs versus on the road that may be affecting things. But I have to think there is a reason why all the kits running my power use a solid intake tube.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

check your vacuum lines, thats a common issue..might cause a loss
Old 06-28-2010, 12:58 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

The warmer the weather gets the softer the plastics, the most likely your theory is right. (I had similar issues with my vacuum lines bending shut when hot). Is that the stock intake tube? If so, I think this is a known issue with Saleen superchargers. I believe there is a replacement hard tube for it (call brenspeed they have it).
Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
check your vacuum lines, thats a common issue..might cause a loss
Although indeed vacuum lines will collapse as well, the outcome is usually stack throttle (like 2500 rpm or so) and sluggish throttle response, not loss of power at wot. (please correct me if I am wrong, but thats my experience with vacuum lines so far).
Old 06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Brenspeed agrees that it's my inlet tube closing. I'm going to put my Steeda up for sale and once I have a buyer I'll be ordering the Extreme setup.

More money gone . . . lol.

Quick Reply: Boost disappearing