Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drove a '11 5.0 today

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:34 PM
bullit_5.0

Default drove a '11 5.0 today

Quite the impressive machine it was. Great response bottom to top and melodic sound to match. Don't know what there isn't to love about this car except for one thing: no adjustment for reach with the steering wheel, still. It's a problem for me because I'm long in the legs (6'5") and my knee was pinned against the bottom of the steering wheel when on the brakes. Other than that a veyr well rounded and competent package, especially against the new Camaro which is a bit more technologically advanced but not as enjoyable as the Stang.

Curious though, anyone else have the knee in the steering wheel issue? I'd like to hear your experience. Funny an American car would have this issue considering us Americans are not the shortest people.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

The little switch (not sure what else to call it...) underneath the steering wheel that allows you to adjust the height doesn't help you at all? I know you said reach but it seems to affect that too.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:09 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

6'5"........that's a pretty tall fella. I bet you do have trouble. I have to make lots of adjustments with the seat and steering wheel at 5'10".
Old 06-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Oyusan

I'm 6'3". I have the same problem you have. What I do is put the seat all the way back and to the bottom of the floor - maximum length. Then I put the steering all the way up. I still the steering wheel tough my legs, but it is not bad at all - at least when compared to when I test drove the 2003 and 04 mustangs, sheesh, less room. =( One thing that helps... take your shoes off. It gives an extra inch or two. Or.... wear sandals, easy to slip on or off.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

im 6'4 and dont have a problem with my '10. i also went out and test drove a 2011 stage 2 roush yesterday and didnt have problems with that.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:29 AM
bullit_5.0

Originally Posted by Oyusan
I'm 6'3". I have the same problem you have. What I do is put the seat all the way back and to the bottom of the floor - maximum length. Then I put the steering all the way up. I still the steering wheel tough my legs, but it is not bad at all - at least when compared to when I test drove the 2003 and 04 mustangs, sheesh, less room. =( One thing that helps... take your shoes off. It gives an extra inch or two. Or.... wear sandals, easy to slip on or off.
While on the test drive I pulled over to adjust the seat again to see if I could find a more comfortable fitment, and it still didn't work. The sales manager of the dealer I went to (one of the most well known Ford dealers anywhere - Galpin) said for under a grand they could move the seat rails back so that my legs could go flat and eliminate this issue. I'm not sure I'd want to do that as that would surely impact resale value if I wanted to sell it later. I think I may just go test drive a base GT with manual seats as sometimes you get better fitment that way.

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
im 6'4 and dont have a problem with my '10. i also went out and test drove a 2011 stage 2 roush yesterday and didnt have problems with that.
You might be long in the torso and not the legs?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bullit_5.0
While on the test drive I pulled over to adjust the seat again to see if I could find a more comfortable fitment, and it still didn't work. The sales manager of the dealer I went to (one of the most well known Ford dealers anywhere - Galpin) said for under a grand they could move the seat rails back so that my legs could go flat and eliminate this issue. I'm not sure I'd want to do that as that would surely impact resale value if I wanted to sell it later. I think I may just go test drive a base GT with manual seats as sometimes you get better fitment that way.

You might be long in the torso and not the legs?
i think we just have different standards of comfort. before my mustang i drove a little mazda 3, and shared my dad's Cayman with him on track days. im so used to having to cram into small cars my mustang feels like a SUV to me.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 PM
CliffyDeuce
1st Gear Member

Although I'm only 6'3" I have a fairly normal-sized torso and long legs. I have to put the seat all the way back, with the rear of the seat bottom fully lowered and the front fully raised. I then have the steering wheel in the middle of its adjustment. My knees don't hit the steering wheel, but I think it's just because of the way I sit with my knees on either side of the wheel. Because the steering wheel doesn't telescope, I do have to sit with the seatback slightly more upright than I would prefer.

It really seems like a telescoping wheel wouldn't be that major of an addition - tons of cars (including quite a few of the Mustang's competitors) have them.

As for footwear, I'm a big fan of my Puma Future Cats. They do give a bit of extra room - both because they have thin soles as well as the fact that they hug the foot, so you don't hit both pedals at the same time (unless it's on purpose!).

Cliffy
Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I'm 6'3" and i don't have this problem. My first car was a 98 mustang i shared it with my mother when I was learning how to drive. She's 5'6" and I wouldn't move the seat when we switched so I got used to driving closer to the wheel and she got used to driving further from the wheel.

I like being close and high up and I still don't have problems like that...
Old 06-30-2010, 04:43 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Lol, well I'm 5'10" and my problem is that i have a longer reach than most guys my height. I don't like to recline when i drive, i liek to be mroe upright. To get the seatback comfortable and withtin easy reach of the pedals my knees end up hitting right below the steering wheel on the plastic trim.i liek to be where when the clutch is fully depressed my leg isn't all the way extended.

Quick Reply: drove a '11 5.0 today