Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2011 GT Review Car Showed Up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:25 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default Update: My 2011 GT Review Car Showed Up, now have Raptor

i get to drive this thing aroudn for teh next week. I haven't even taken it for a spin yet. Here are a fe wpics for you though:

Last edited by ShaneM; 07-07-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:03 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Did I mention I hate you?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:08 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Dude when you going cruising so I can see it?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

lucky dog!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Mustang#5
1st Gear Member

Will there be any rubber left on the tires???? LOL
Old 06-30-2010, 02:09 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by akiba17
Dude when you going cruising so I can see it?
I just went for a short cruise in it. I'll be around in it the next few days. any of you guys that happen to be local are welcome to drop me a line and we can go for a ride. Ford will sever my ***** from my body if i let anyone else drive it, that was actually in the loaner agreement. Well technically it said they would bar me from the Ford global fleet, which before the gt500 gets here is just about as bad.

So anyhow, quick impressions. it's a very nice car. Strange sound, not bad at all mind you, i was just hoping for more @V new edge and this is a slightly more sophisticated 4.6 sound. the thing growls like a maniac fro 4-5k. the transmission is pretty impressive, though it took me a bit to figure out reverse. the throws are very short, they feel a lot like the 10 427r i drove, much shorter than my 5spd 10. You can stomp that pedal and shift very fast.

This car has 3.73 gears and i like them. It will take some getting used to before it feels natural to cruise at 40mph in 4th gear though. this thing is at 3k rolling 30 in 2nd gear, at 40 its at 3k in fourth. Typically in the city i shift at 3k and it seems unnatural to be in 4th going that slow. not a fan os skip shift, i already found a fly in the ointment with it. Lots of granny's around here, was behind a van making a long sweeping turn from a red light, car went from first to 4th and the lady in front proceeded to drop to 25 or so for the remainder of the corner, the car was at idle basically any more and it would stall. the thing is so quiet at that speed its very hard to hear what the motor is doing and if you are watching the road and not the tach, i can see some stalls that way and a few WTF moments.

the 3.73s are a good choice in this car, you shift a lot, but damn if you aren't always in the power band. The thing pulls hard from 3k and really takes off form 4k on and you are almost always at 3k or above with the 3.73's.

Obviously i need to drive it a bit more, but my first impressions are that it doesnt feel as fast as my blown 10 though they make very similar power. When my ten is pulling, you are pushed into the seats and i don't get that sensation here. I have a friend that i may have line up with me in my car, that is if i can get over the fact that no one drives my car but me.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang#5
Will there be any rubber left on the tires???? LOL
You should see the sidewalls man, this thing has been driven hard already and some douche curbed it. i like the wheels with the brembo pack, and the brakes are very nice. much less pedal effort to stop at the same speed than my 10 with the 19" wheel brake package has. i might like to retrofit those onto my 10 if the things can be picked up cheaply enough.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

how do you like the clutch pedal feel? i dont know if roush messed with it but when i test drove a 2011 Stage 2 i hated how it felt. i also hated their short throw shifter...

over all do you prefer your blown '10? you have almost completely convinced me to go with the M90 later in the year.

i was originally supposed to test drive a '10 427r because im interested in getting the stage 3 suspension, but the salesman didn't think i could handle the power of the supercharger so they handed me the keys to the 2011....lol.....
Old 06-30-2010, 02:50 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
how do you like the clutch pedal feel? i dont know if roush messed with it but when i test drove a 2011 Stage 2 i hated how it felt. i also hated their short throw shifter...

over all do you prefer your blown '10? you have almost completely convinced me to go with the M90 later in the year.

i was originally supposed to test drive a '10 427r because im interested in getting the stage 3 suspension, but the salesman didn't think i could handle the power of the supercharger so they handed me the keys to the 2011....lol.....
Well i drove it (pretty hard) for maybe 10 min and then in traffic another ten min. Like i said, the early impressions from the butt dyno, my 10 feels faster, especially in the upper RPMs. I have no desire to trade the ten for the 5.0 if that's what you are wondering. NOW if the 10 was stock, that would be a different story. I am still very happy with the blown 10.

PS: I now know why ford went to the blind spot mirrors. With those new back seat head rests i took the pic of up, you can't see shat out the back of that car. OH the clutch feels just like my 10, except maybe it starts to engage a little earlier. My ten seems to only engage the last qtr of its travel, the 5.0 engages about half way up.

Last edited by ShaneM; 06-30-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Very interesting. Why does Ford do this program for a car that is already being sold publicly? I would think think they could get feedback directly from owners. Oh well, good for you Shane!

Quick Reply: My 2011 GT Review Car Showed Up!