Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19" Brake Package Wheels on Auto 2011 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 PM
orgchem

Default 19" Brake Package Wheels on Auto 2011 GT?

Hello all,

I'm thinking about purchasing my first Mustang, a 2011 GT model. I will likely be getting an automatic, but I really like the 19" wheels that come with the brembo brake package on the manual versions. The dealer told me they can put the 19's on the auto if I want; my question is whether or not I will take a performance hit in doing so?

Also, does anyone have any complaints about the cloth interior in the base model (the only one in my price range)? What about the cost/benefit/downsides to getting a different gear ratio put in aftermarket (like the 3.73 offered on the manuals, or 4.10 I hear a lot about), which I admittedly know little about?

Anyways, thanks for the help!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

actually you will gain performance. the brembo wheels are actually lighter than the regular wheels (iirc) and come with wider summer performance tires.

with the 2011 i believe the general consensus is that the 3.55 gears are the sweet spot for the car and that the 3.73 may be a bit short.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 PM
SandMan123
1st Gear Member

I have the cloth interior and 3.31 gears with the manual transmission. I think the 3.31 gears work fine, there's loads of power everywhere so I like the taller gears--better highway mpg and 70 mph in second!

The black cloth seats are fine, they are a little bland looking but appear to be of good quality as far as cloth seats go. They're also much more bearable to sit in in the desert summers than leather is. Leather, IMHO, dries out and looks worse 2 years down the road than cloth does.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

If you want to change the wheels, you may be able to save alot of money with Takeoff or Aftermarket wheels.

I prefer cloth seats to leather, as they grip your butt better, and as Sandman said, work well in the heat!

'Jim
Old 07-01-2010, 06:17 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I have to disagree on the leather seats. The leather in the Mustang is not a glove leather that sticks to you. It's stiffer and supports far better than the cloth IMO. The leather will retain heat a little longer than cloth so it takes longer to cool down after sitting in the hot sun but I'm not sure the interior gets any hotter than the cloth interior. As far as drying out, like any leather, it needs occasional conditioning to look its best. The owners manual covers this quite well so if you let it dry out its your own fault. The leather cleans up far easier than cloth. There is no reason the interior can't look just as great in 10 years as it did when new. My 2010 is Candy Red Metallic with Stone Leather Interior and the 1st thing people comment about is how great the interior is! If you can swing it, the Premium GT with leather is a good way to go IMO.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:20 AM
orgchem

I'd definitely prefer the stock 19" wheels from the brembo package as opposed to aftermarkets; just my kind of thing. What are 'Takeoffs'?

How much do you think is reasonable for the dealer to charge for just the 19" wheels?

If I asked the dealer to set me up with a 3.55 gear ratio, and to tune the car appropriately for that, do you think they would do that for the automatic? Or would I be better going to a tuner for that?

Sorry for all the questions... .
Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

I saw a set of the brembo wheels on ebay for 1500 or so.. I think
Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 AM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

As a new mustang owner, "takeoffs" are one of your best resources haha. "takeoffs" are low, or no mile pieces removed from the car for aftermarket stuff. When the many aftermarket companies (roush, saleen, etc) get these cars from ford, they remove the factory pieces for their stuff and then sell the factory stuff very cheap. There's specific websites that sell that stuff, plus ebay, etc

I'm not sure that they'd have the brembo package 19"s, but its worth the look.

personally, I'd order whatever gears you can from the factory, then see if you want to change after that.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:16 PM
pigman 440

I have the 2011 GT w/19" wheels which were a $995.00 option and does not have Brembo brakes. The wheels are the painted version and are so-so for looks. Mine is automatic with the 3:15 posi which is the only way the automatic 6-speed comes for now.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:41 AM
orgchem

Is there anyway you could take a picture and post it for me? I'd like to see what the 19" wheels look like. How is the 3.15 gearing working out for you? The issue for me is that I would have to justify getting 3.55 or 3.75 to my better half... and I'm not sure 'it will go faster but get worse gas mileage' is gonna be good enough reason to spend however much it costs.

Quick Reply: 19" Brake Package Wheels on Auto 2011 GT?