Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Pedal Delay

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 08:22 AM
JerryP
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Pedal Delay

Is this more noticeable with the manual transmission? What about the automatic? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Jim Smyth
1st Gear Member

I own an Automatic V6. The gas petal delay is a PITA! I always back into my garage from the street. It always hesitates after you put it in reverse which drives me nuts. Plus it always does it when you go around a corner and then step on the gas again, kinda like it misses for a second. Just that slight delay in response pisses me off. My driveway had a pretty good slope on it down to the street. If I have to go forward and stop and then put it in reverse to get in the garage (pretty tight fit) I literally roll forward a foot or two with the shifter is in reverse and foot on the gas until the computor tells the transmission to back up!

So I am still trying to grasp this tuner idea. I have seen them for sale but wouldnt spend the money on something I'm not quite sure of the purpose in getting. So right now I dont own any tuning device. I am not planning on doing any engine hop up work on the car. I just want it to drive correctly! So whats the first step to get this resolved? Am I going to need to buy one of those tuners and get a program for it? If you reflash the computor on the car does it wipe out the program thats installed if you had one installed? I ask this so if I have someone tune it for me in my local area and then say you change out the battery in a few years will the program be wiped out where you have to have it done again etc? TIA, Jim
Old 08-09-2005, 10:27 AM
momustang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jim Smyth

I own an Automatic V6. The gas petal delay is a PITA! I always back into my garage from the street. It always hesitates after you put it in reverse which drives me nuts. Plus it always does it when you go around a corner and then step on the gas again, kinda like it misses for a second. Just that slight delay in response pisses me off. My driveway had a pretty good slope on it down to the street. If I have to go forward and stop and then put it in reverse to get in the garage (pretty tight fit) I literally roll forward a foot or two with the shifter is in reverse and foot on the gas until the computor tells the transmission to back up!

So I am still trying to grasp this tuner idea. I have seen them for sale but wouldnt spend the money on something I'm not quite sure of the purpose in getting. So right now I dont own any tuning device. I am not planning on doing any engine hop up work on the car. I just want it to drive correctly! So whats the first step to get this resolved? Am I going to need to buy one of those tuners and get a program for it? If you reflash the computor on the car does it wipe out the program thats installed if you had one installed? I ask this so if I have someone tune it for me in my local area and then say you change out the battery in a few years will the program be wiped out where you have to have it done again etc? TIA, Jim
A retune should fix the problem. I really don't notice it anymore, and when I do, it's because *I was* the one not driving/accelerating correctly.
The shop in my area that does custom tunes uses the SCT XCal, so when you get a tune from them, it includes the XCAL, the custom tune, and the dyno runs to get it tuned right. Once you have the XCAL (or a Predator unit), both the custom and the factory tunes remain stored on the programmer. You can switch back and forth for warranty work, or after a reflash.

~MO
Old 08-09-2005, 11:21 AM
JerryP
2nd Gear Member

Where can this be done in Upstate NY, in the Rochester area? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:07 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JerryP

Where can this be done in Upstate NY, in the Rochester area? Thanks.

not to throw more options at you, but you could always go with a canned tune, say from brenspeed.com or similar, that's what i did, and i couldn't be happier.

my throttle response was a night and day difference after downloading the tune
Old 08-09-2005, 03:21 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

The Diablo units immediately solve this problem, if I remember correctly. Of course, Im going to have DiabloSport's ChipMaster Online service give me a custom tune.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:31 PM
greatgro

ORIGINAL: Daniel60
In first gear when you press the gas pedal it hestitates for a moment and then fires away. I have the same problem. I wonder why Ford did not make this correction.
There shouldn't be a delay with drive-by-wire while accelerating. I know mine doesn't have one. Mine just delays when getting OFF the gas. That is normal and a product of drive-by-wire. It reduces emissions and increases fuel economy. But there shouldn't be hesitation or delay when accelerating. Drive-by-wire is computerized and instantaneous.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

drive by wire is computerized...
your input to the computer via drive by wire is instaneous, (or close to it)
throttle response is NOT. The computer generally will not allow you to go WOT without some sort of gear in place, thats why the Predator and SCT can give you HP with just a tune.. they reduce/remove that little annoyance... among a variety of other things...
Old 08-10-2005, 02:00 AM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: momustang

The delay is due to the '05s drive-by-wire system. On this model, there is no direct linkage between the accelerator pedal and the throttle. The computer detects the position of the pedal, then adjusts the throttle. This accounts for the delay, the torque limitations in 1st & 2nd gear, and the rev limiter.

~MO
holy crap i hope the BRAKES dont work that way. [:@]
Old 08-10-2005, 10:10 AM
momustang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: greatgro

ORIGINAL: Daniel60
In first gear when you press the gas pedal it hestitates for a moment and then fires away. I have the same problem. I wonder why Ford did not make this correction.
There shouldn't be a delay with drive-by-wire while accelerating. I know mine doesn't have one. Mine just delays when getting OFF the gas. That is normal and a product of drive-by-wire. It reduces emissions and increases fuel economy. But there shouldn't be hesitation or delay when accelerating. Drive-by-wire is computerized and instantaneous.
The delay isn't a side-effect of the drive-by-wire setup, it's one of its PURPOSES. The computer regulates the throttle when sensors detect other-than-normal accelleration behavior (e.g. Putting your foot to the floor, WOT). This is intended to improve gas-efficiency, safety (less spinning, especially in poor road conditions), etc.

Programming-wise, it's just code that reads hundreds of variables at one time, such as the throttle input (from your accellerator pedal) and then calculates the estimated airflow required to maintain the air/fuel mixture, then estimates the resulting torque & HP from your pedal position, then adjusts everything (a/f mixture, firing, etc) accordingly.

Very simple.

Tuning will eliminate the problem.

~Mo

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Delay