Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Pedal Delay

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:16 AM
pmadren

Default Gas Pedal Delay

IS there anything that you can do on the 2005 GT for the throttle response? Seems that there is a slight delay from the pedal movement to the engine picking up signal. Thanks
Old 08-08-2005, 12:04 PM
momustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Pedal Delay

The delay is due to the '05s drive-by-wire system. On this model, there is no direct linkage between the accelerator pedal and the throttle. The computer detects the position of the pedal, then adjusts the throttle. This accounts for the delay, the torque limitations in 1st & 2nd gear, and the rev limiter.

SOLUTION: Re-tune the vehicle. Either by buying a programmer like the SCT XCAL or the DiabloSport Predator, OR have it custom tuned at a speed shop.
Unless you're going with aftermarket bolt-on performance upgrades, you might want to just go with a programmer and save your money (unless you can get a good price on a custom tune).

And "NO", the custom tune will not void your factory warranty. It *is* suggested to reflash the vehicle back to the stock tune before bringing it back in for service work though.

~MO
Old 08-08-2005, 12:31 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

Understand that the handheld SCT will not allow you to make adjustments to the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control). It requires the full SCT dealer package / software. Make sure that the tuner you use has access to this package. Someone to consider is Doug at Bamachips, he wrote me another tune and my throttle response is instant on both in and out of the pedal.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:31 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

nbk13nw - let's say you had a handheld SCT. Once you got a tune from a shop, would you be able to save that shop tune on your SCT and adjust that later? So you'd have the base settings from the shop (including adjustments to the ETC), then when you add another bolt on you wouldn't have to take it back. I'm looking at getting a tuner.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:23 PM
JerryP
2nd Gear Member

What kind of delay are you talking about. Is it that noticeable? thank you.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

In first gear when you press the gas pedal it hestitates for a moment and then fires away. I have the same problem. I wonder why Ford did not make this correction. Maybe its to keep us in one piece incase we over acclerate when backing out the garage
Old 08-08-2005, 03:13 PM
GT/ROUSH

This is the same problem that made my 60' times suffer.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:51 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GotYoNacho

nbk13nw - let's say you had a handheld SCT. Once you got a tune from a shop, would you be able to save that shop tune on your SCT and adjust that later? So you'd have the base settings from the shop (including adjustments to the ETC), then when you add another bolt on you wouldn't have to take it back. I'm looking at getting a tuner.
Well, the SCT handheld wil not allow you to modify the ETC settings at all. An authorized / qualified SCT dealer will be able to make these adjustments for you.

I spoke to Doug from bamachips through email. He asked for some info on the car, some info from me on what I was looking for and emailed me a tune that evening. I was using a tune from the Dyno guys at DTP and it was nice, but still the lag was present. No the lag is gone.

You ever notice how when your letting off the gas and still riding the transmission down? Maybe fourth gear and letting off the gas? The engine RPM will hang for approximately 7 seconds? That is totally gone now. When I let off, the RPM immediately dies, with or without a load on the engine. Same holds true for acceleration. When I hit it.... it comes alive immediately.

Email Doug at bamachips. I am sure he will be glad to answer your questions or mod a tune for you all.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:55 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

Dang! Sorry GotYoNacho!

I guess I finally read the post correctly. Yes! Once you have a tune with the ETC corrections, just be sure to have it saved on your PC / laptop. From there you can modify some of the params (Axle, tires / wheels, A/F, timing and others), save this tune, load onto the SCT and then load it into the car. This would preserve your existing tune and add the newer mods that you selected.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:16 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nbk13nw

Dang! Sorry GotYoNacho!

I guess I finally read the post correctly. Yes! Once you have a tune with the ETC corrections, just be sure to have it saved on your PC / laptop. From there you can modify some of the params (Axle, tires / wheels, A/F, timing and others), save this tune, load onto the SCT and then load it into the car. This would preserve your existing tune and add the newer mods that you selected.
Thanks for clearing that up. That's what I assumed to be the case, but you know what happens when you assume. Now I need to find a dyno around me (Raleigh NC) that can help me out. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Delay