Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang S197 GT stabling on 4 ramps (up and down) Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 AM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

You could:

1. Park your car in the driveway.
2. Fly to China.
3. Dig a hole through the center of the Earth until you get directly under your car.
4. Work on it from there.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
And just use those wheel wedge things to keep the car from rolling when you jack it up. They work. I forgot and left them behind the rear wheels. When I tried backing the car out, it wouldn't go. Now if the car can't push those things with throttle pushing the motor, there is no way the car is going to roll over them on its own.
Good point. If you don't have the actual wheel chocks, bricks, cobblestones, patio blocks, or even 2x4's will work. I use something like that every time I lift either end clear of the ground (as opposed to just one wheel at a time for tire changing).

Good heavy duty 4-leg jack stands are pretty stable. The cheapie 3-leg stamped steel ones that adjusts with a pin you put through the holes are not.

Norm
Old 07-04-2010, 12:35 PM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
luvmygt has it right. I always use ramps in the rear and then jackstands in the front. Just drive backwards onto ramps for the two rear wheels. Then set the e-brake and park and jack up the front until you can stick jackstands or ramps under the wheels. When you want to take it down, just jack up the front first again and remove the front ramps. The car will never move because the rear wheels are always contacting the ground. This is how I do it - if i dont have to remove the wheels.
Hello,
yes i agree with you, but what happened when you jack up the rear to remove the ramps? What do you use to prevent the car of rolling forward, because the car has a strong angle in this moment and power to move. Car chocks? Is this safe?

Greetings, Mario
Old 07-04-2010, 12:41 PM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by luvmygt
what about if you back the rear onto the ramps, put in park w/ ebrake, then lift one side of the front and place a ramp under it, then do the same for the other side of the front....
Hello,
this is heavy stress for the car chassis, because you have in my opinion to strong angles and after doing this you have a bended chassis. The poor horse...
A friend from a car work shop and painting company also warned me for doing it this way.

Greetings, Mario
Old 07-04-2010, 12:44 PM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigray327
You could:

1. Park your car in the driveway.
2. Fly to China.
3. Dig a hole through the center of the Earth until you get directly under your car.
4. Work on it from there.
Hi bigray,
but not from china...In the end they crawl trough the hole...here are enough people...
Old 07-04-2010, 01:22 PM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by malelo
Hello,
this is heavy stress for the car chassis, because you have in my opinion to strong angles and after doing this you have a bended chassis. The poor horse...
A friend from a car work shop and painting company also warned me for doing it this way.

Greetings, Mario

wow! i hope that's wrong, because everytime I need the whole thing lifted I back up on the ramps, lift one front wheel n place the jackstand under it, then i do the same for the opposite front wheel...
Old 07-04-2010, 01:58 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by malelo
Hello,
yes i agree with you, but what happened when you jack up the rear to remove the ramps? What do you use to prevent the car of rolling forward, because the car has a strong angle in this moment and power to move. Car chocks? Is this safe?

Greetings, Mario
First you place chocks at front wheels so it wont roll foward if you plan to jack up to remove rear ramps. Or you just drive off ramps if you have the room.

Also I am with you about feeling safe under the car. I always use ramps under the wheels as a backup for the jack stands.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:03 AM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Or you just drive off ramps if you have the room.

Also I am with you about feeling safe under the car. I always use ramps under the wheels as a backup for the jack stands.
Hello 808muscle,
yes the driving down would be perferct, but no room for this.
Ramps and jack stands together should be safe. I want to do this also.
I have to look for good chocks to block the front wheels. I have to test this outside the garage, because the wall is near....

Greetings, Mario

Last edited by malelo; 07-05-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:38 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

No need to go nuts on the chocks. I have plastic ones. I can't drive over them, so I trust I can't just roll over them.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:50 AM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
No need to go nuts on the chocks. I have plastic ones. I can't drive over them, so I trust I can't just roll over them.
Hello shanec,
do yours stop also good, when you lift the rear wheels one feed high?
(Because of the angle and the strong movement power in front direction)
Do you tried this?
Thanks for your answer!

Greetings, Mario

Quick Reply: Mustang S197 GT stabling on 4 ramps (up and down) Question