Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade to a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 PM
nickb2236
1st Gear Member

I sold by V6 about a year or so ago(because I had a kid) and when I just got my GT the insurance went up $95 per month. I'm 22. If you can swing the payment get the car that you want. Also think about the gas. I use alot more now then I did, also because I drive the car alot more.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:23 PM
46muscle

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
If this is your first RWD veh then keep the v6 to get used to a RWD car with a somewhat decent amount of power then upgrade to what you want. I have seen alot of people go from a low HP FWD vehicle to a RWD car with a v8 and within a month theyve turned it backwards. And so what about the increase in insurance, its only money and you cant take it with you, might as well enjoy it now while you can.
Heh Good advice, it makes a difference if you take baby steps when dealing with cars, my advice would be to save your money and put in the bank, or if your dead set I would just modify what you got, hell make a fast v6 and laugh in the faces of the v8's who dog ya.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Hey man gonna have to go with the majority on this one. I would say go for it. Buy what you want but ensure that it dosen't come to bite you in the a**. You're a young guy and the last thing you want to do is f*** up your credit.. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 PM
CKurello
3rd Gear Member

If anything, save up and buy the car in full. I could have bought a few really nice lower mileage GT's and had them financed, but I don't know what the future holds and I don't want to have to sell the car to pay off a loan. IMO be sure you can buy the car outright. The insurance is almost as much as a payment if not more so I didn't want to sped $500+ a month to own my car. Now I can mod and know for sure what $$ I have.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:10 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CKurello
If anything, save up and buy the car in full. I could have bought a few really nice lower mileage GT's and had them financed, but I don't know what the future holds and I don't want to have to sell the car to pay off a loan. IMO be sure you can buy the car outright. The insurance is almost as much as a payment if not more so I didn't want to sped $500+ a month to own my car. Now I can mod and know for sure what $$ I have.
Who the F has 15-20k sitting in the bank!!??
Old 07-06-2010, 07:01 PM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
Yeah haha even if I sell my car to break-even from what I had before and start with my extra $2,000 and keep saving all winter I won't even be close to that. Thanks for the advice though everybody. I understand there will be a power boost but I'm a very mature and safe driver for my age. I've been driving for 2 years now and haven't even been pulled over (surprisingly not in the Mustang either, although I obey the speed limits). If I can sell the car, I'll sell the car for a good price, if not I'm just stuck in the same situation I am in now. And I don't really want to go money crazy spending on the v6 because when I do go to sell it the resale even with the upgrades won't make a big difference in the end so to me personally it seems pointless because weather now or later I would like to purchase a GT.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
I DO!!!!!

Originally Posted by datsyuk
Yeah haha even if I sell my car to break-even from what I had before and start with my extra $2,000 and keep saving all winter I won't even be close to that. Thanks for the advice though everybody. I understand there will be a power boost but I'm a very mature and safe driver for my age. I've been driving for 2 years now and haven't even been pulled over (surprisingly not in the Mustang either, although I obey the speed limits). If I can sell the car, I'll sell the car for a good price, if not I'm just stuck in the same situation I am in now. And I don't really want to go money crazy spending on the v6 because when I do go to sell it the resale even with the upgrades won't make a big difference in the end so to me personally it seems pointless because weather now or later I would like to purchase a GT.
If you are worried about resale with you mods just keep all the oem parts and then when you trade/resell it put it back to stock and sell the aftermarket stuff seperately. Or, mod and keep the v6, pay it off then buy a yourself a brand new GT in a few years and park them side-by-side.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 PM
brycerichert
1st Gear Member

I think back to when I was 20 and thinking how in the hell I would have ever afforded to buy a $40,000 car. geez... the world has changed hasn't it?