Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering/camber help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
ninja11

Default Lowering/camber help

I have a 05 GT coupe with 18" wheels and I am putting the pro lowering springs on. I have heard mixed things on what I need to do with the camber. I have heard from many people that they did not have to do anything but align the tires because the pro springs don't lower the car enough and other people said i need to adjust the camber and what not. I'd rather not have to spend a lot of excess mulah if I don't have to. Shoot me any thoughts, ideas, or experiences. anything will help. thanks!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:39 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i used the pro kit on my 05 and had to have camber bolts to align the car correctly. You can do camber plates and skip the replacement strut mounts, which you will need no matter what when you remove the struts from the car to put the lowering springs on. Camber plates from JM on American muscle at $209, gt500 strut mounts on the other hand are about $60 IIRC and the bolts will cost you another $35. If the other $100 isn't that big a deal, the camper plates are probably the way to go. what shocks you using, I had those springs with the tokino (however you spell it) blues and the ride sucked massively. i suggest koni strts on the lower end or koni yellows or d-specs for adjustable parts. Talk to sam strano, hes a vendor.member here and can get you straightened away.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i also have the camber bolts and they work fine. most good alignment shops have them in stock
Old 07-13-2010, 03:27 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

On the other hand: Lowering with Steeda or the new FRPP "P" springs, you will probably see around a 1 inch drop. This will probably result in less than 1.4 negative camber, almost within Ford specs. I found on the '06 the camber ended up at 1.5 negative with a drop of 1.5 inches from using the Eibachs. Both cases give you a nicer looking stance and better handling when cornering with some minor extra tire wear. After a while you can invert the front tires inside out in order to equalize the wear pattern. If you want to track the car, I found that the camber bolts would not really stand up to the rigors of track days (the odd off-track, I admit). In this case, camber plates are advised and these will allow you to play around with different settings if you wish or set the camber to spec. For street use, camber bolts should be fine if you are dead set on getting the camber back to normal.

Cheers.